Idea: languages

Prince
This would probably require a mod onto itself, but I though I would just throw it out there.

It would be very neat if there was some way to track the rise and decline of languages during the game. Even if it doesn't have much of an actual in game effect effect, It would be nice to see what comes out in the end.

Perhaps each starting city starts with the own language and as trade routes and communication techs start to get developed you could watch the spread of a language as it vies for dominates (or merges with) other languages over the course of time.

A settler built from a city, carries the dominate language from the parent city with it when it founds a new city.

It might give some aid to diplomacy early on (civs who the same language)

It would also be interest to categorize them into oral only and written languages and ones that use an alphabet or are pictographic. (due primarily to when those tech were obtained)

It can be reasoned that if you give away writing or alphabet etc to (or even if it gets stolen or tech leaked) to some other civ, then the dominate written and/or alphabetic form of language of the original civ becomes far spread into the civ that obtained the tech from them.

IDK, couldn't languages work almost identically to the way religions work?

IDK, couldn't languages work almost identically to the way religions work?

Nope. If only Civ religion system had schisms I'd say yes.

I'd rather a modmod that revamps the religion spreading/fading system, the way we were discussing another place, and then replicate it to languages (which by itself I'd love to see).

I love the idea of separate languages! :)

What about the languages that came from other languages, for example the latin based ones, (englsih, spanish, french, etc.). Would that do something?

English is not based on Latin. It is a Germanic language, with its roots in Anglo-Saxon.

Top Bottom