Ideas to spice up lame Wonders & Rituals

[to_xp]Gekko

QCT junkie
well, some wonders in FFH are definitely less than amazing and since they're not even that plentiful it's pretty sad. I remember Sephi a while ago was looking for ideas to improve the boring ones. here are my ideas:

Aquae Sucellus: currently removes only diseased. should remove also plagued and withered. could also give a bonus to healing rates for the whole civ.

Mokka's Cauldron: the effect is cool, but it's not very useful due to being fixed in a single place. should become a piece of legendary equipment Mokka starts with ( and Mokka could be a barbarian hero like Orthus and Zarcaz instead of being linked to Samhain ) . also, perhaps it should spawn frostlings instead of demons.

Soul Forge: similar issue to Mokka's cauldron, although making it equipment would be weird. would it be possible to make it work like the Palace, i.e. you can build it in another city to move it there?

Celestial Compass: could give +1 vision to all ships.

Genesis: currently it turns Ancient Forests into regular forests. VERY annoying :lol:

Nature's Revolt: it could give "animal in rage" to all animals on the map. ;)

Rites of Oghma: IIRC currently it sucks cuz it only spawns nodes on unimproved tiles and by the time you build it, you won't have any. solution is easy, make nodes spawn also on improved tiles.

Samhain: it creates as much trouble to the Illians as to other civs. what if frostlings were peaceful to the Illians? this would also apply to the ones spawning randomly on the maps. I guess they should be peaceful with barbs as well, ans possibly also with animals?

Ascension: aside from the fact that Auric definitely needs a boost, the Godslayer mechanic sucks imho. what about having the Godslayer come from an explorable feature on the map? that would be a lot more fun than having it simply being given to you for free, you'd have to go around looking for it :D

[to_xp]Gekko;8935745 said:
well, some wonders in FFH are definitely less than amazing and since they're not even that plentiful it's pretty sad. I remember Sephi a while ago was looking for ideas to improve the boring ones. here are my ideas:

Aquae Sucellus: currently removes only diseased. should remove also plagued and withered. could also give a bonus to healing rates for the whole civ.

Mokka's Cauldron: the effect is cool, but it's not very useful due to being fixed in a single place. should become a piece of legendary equipment Mokka starts with ( and Mokka could be a barbarian hero like Orthus and Zarcaz instead of being linked to Samhain ) . also, perhaps it should spawn frostlings instead of demons.

Soul Forge: similar issue to Mokka's cauldron, although making it equipment would be weird. would it be possible to make it work like the Palace, i.e. you can build it in another city to move it there?

Genesis: currently it turns Ancient Forests into regular forests. VERY annoying :lol:

Rites of Oghma: IIRC currently it sucks cuz it only spawns nodes on unimproved tiles and by the time you build it, you won't have any. solution is easy, make nodes spawn also on improved tiles.

Samhain: it creates as much trouble to the Illians as to other civs. what if frostlings were peaceful to the Illians? this would also apply to the ones spawning randomly on the maps. I guess they should be peaceful with barbs as well, ans possibly also with animals?

Ascension: aside from the fact that Auric definitely needs a boost, the Godslayer mechanic sucks imho. what about having the Godslayer come from an explorable feature on the map? that would be a lot more fun than having it simply being given to you for free, you'd have to go around looking for it :D

On Ascension: Alternatively, add the White Hand religion, and have followers at the time of completion become vassals to the completing civ (Frozen or Illian). Yes, this can lead to a human player becoming a vassal to the AI; It actually works fairly well, and is entertaining. :p

Aquae Sucellus: neat idea, but, considering how late it is, is it actually useful?

Mokka's Cauldron: i like the idea

Soul Forge: currently is extra source of death mana, i do agree that it needs a boost, though I'm not sure what

Celestial compass already added +1 trade routes in all cities - is there a reason that you feels it needs another boost?

Genesis: yes, that is rather annoying. Didn't FFH have it set to turn all forests TO ancient forests?

Nature's Revolt: no comment, I never use it

Rites of Oghma: agree with pop up on improved tiles - just make sure that it doesn't replace improvements

Samhain: Part of its purpose was as a double edged sword, especially if you complete it, THEN pop stasis. That being said, there are already enough barbs around that if you just pop stasis around turn 50, you'll be liable to loose a few civs anyways.

Ascension: Yeah, godslayer could probably use some work, and auric probably could use a boost. In all honesty, the best boost for Auric (IMO) is to remove the more likely to defend the stack issue, and to give him march, and maybe a few first strikes, or cannibalize - that would be more than enough to make him something other than a liability to use elsewhere other than as artillery off the coast (now he would be artillery within the stack :) ).

-Colin

The problem is that would change a simple xml effect to require python, and likely slow the game down.

Normally the only change I make here is making it provide an extra source of Life mana.

I just got to thinking that it could be nice for units built in its city to have a small chance of getting Life II or III for free. The lore does say that The Untouched are the most powerful healers in Erebus.

I long ago made it equipment. I normally make its units undead, but will consider making them frostlings instead.

Unfortunately the code to make its effects work while in equipment form would be really compicated and use too many resources.

(Does Wild Mana allow PythonPostCombatWon calls from promotions as well as units? I've never really played it, so I don't know. If so, you could make it generate a unit from the units its holder defeats.)

(Who is Zarcaz?)

I don't know if it is possible, and it still seems wierd.

Would it be too powerful much to make it apply in all of your cities? It would be pretty easy to make the wonder give its city production based on the xp of all living units that died in it owner's territory.

Applying it to all ships seems needlessly complex. It would easily give ships in that city a promotion that boosts line of sight though.
How about make it upgrade all Forests to Ancient Forests, and New Forests to Forests?
The big change I like to make here is spawning Gurid, Margalard, Leviathan, and Xien (the giant wolf I added in my version) if they have not spawned already.

Giving all Animals Enraged or Burning Blood might work too.
The biggest change this needs is making it repeatable.

You could make mana spawn on improved tiles too, but would need to exclude tiles that already have bonuses, permanent improvements, and cities.
Making a new civ for the Frostlings really seems like overkill.

In my version I give the Illians a second Ice I spell, Dominate Frostling.

Maybe. There was a time I was thinking of adding the Finner's Tomb unique feature, where the Godslayer could be found.

In my version, I make Ascention cheaper but The Draw more expensive. I also made the rituals require the mortal Auric unit, as instead of spawning Auric Ascended it upgrades the mortal Auric to him. Auric is made Crazed by the Draw, so you have to be very careful to protect him while close to Ascension. Auric Ascended keeps (most) promotions his mortal form had, is all around stronger, can move like an ICBM, and teraforms the land around him whenever he moves. He heals 100% after every battle, but can be killed by either the Godslayer or the Netherblade. (Eventually I'd like to rework Resurrection and make units killed by the Netherblade unressurectable, but I'm pretty sure that will require SDK work.)

I would add the ability for the pool of tears to cure weakness, then make Aquae Sucellus a copy of The Pool so it effected units that walk in the city and increse healing rate for that city. Keep all other effects it has now.
Mokka's Cauldron: the effect is cool, but it's not very useful due to being fixed in a single place.
not sure about the rest but I do like that part.
Agree
yeah that should do the opposite, change all forests in your culture to Ancient
I disagree in that tiles outside my city are not improved and I would rather NOT have mana nodes in my BFC. If you were to also add production bonuses to the mana then it would be fine. Other wise I would rather no chance as I want the mana outside my BFC anyway.

True, but a bonus to tileyield for the mana nodes are nice (I make sure to add it on my side when I play). If the tile lacks yields, it kinda feels like a wasted tile IMHO.

I think the Genesis issue is a bug. Shouldn't happen anymore

looks like no one here uses Rites of Oghma :p mana does spawn on improvements

agreed on the Catacomb Libralus

looks like no one here uses Rites of Oghma :p mana does spawn on improvements...

Heh, thats one wonder I generally dont build simply because it tends to boost my neighbors more than me (and very rarely me). Most new nodes pop up in others terf.

bump cuz it's never too late to turn some missed opportunities into actually interesting stuff. some of those in the first post are already addressed in the latest versions, some are not... those who suck more are mokka's cauldron and the soul forge definitely... although the current Godslayer mechanic is amazingly crappy imho. it just seems like the devs got lazy and just wanted to finish Ice phase on time. :lol:

What about some kind of undead Baron Duin Halfmoon? Any units that die near him have a chance of being resurrected as the walking dead. Another Double win unit for the late game...

I like the moveable Cauldron idea. Maybe make it so that the unit carrying it can only move one tile per turn. Otherwise I think it would be too easy to abuse it.

I also like the idea of the Catacomb Libralus increasing passive arcane xp rates.

Soul Forge: currently is extra source of death mana, i do agree that it needs a boost, though I'm not sure what

I suggest to make it possible to sacrifice own units and slaves to the Soul Forge (hey, it was designed by evil overlords for evil overlords :satan:).

[to_xp]Gekko;8942001 said:
Catacomb Libralus could raise the passive XP gain of arcane units ;)

Or make it giving arcane units built in the city a starting xp boost.

Top Bottom