If a CS gifts me a mounted unit, does it use one of MY horses?

charon2112

King
If so, it's not much of a gift. :confused:

If so, it's not much of a gift. :confused:

You don't have to spend valuable time to build it, so you got a unit while your cities can build more important things like Libraries, Marketplaces, Universities, etc. For me that is a :thanx: event, especially since I can disband the unit or give it away, if I can't afford it or don't want it.

Gift it back for 5 influence or to another CS for quest. You'll get your horse/iron back as well. I never tell CS's to stop spawning units for this reason. (Or am I missing something?)

Yes unless it's a barbarian horse.

You dont like free units? Also horse units are awesome. Always good to have some.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

You dont like free units? Also horse units are awesome. Always good to have some.

It is good, unless when you have no more resources required for that unit, after receiving the said unit, your resource bar (iron/horse/oil/etc) will go minus and you will have a huge combat penalty to any unit that requires that resource.

It is good, unless when you have no more resources required for that unit, after receiving the said unit, your resource bar (iron/horse/oil/etc) will go minus and you will have a huge combat penalty to any unit that requires that resource.

I must be lucky then because I have never been given a unit that I don't have support for. But if that happens, I will give it away, I guess or trade for some more horses.

It happens all the time, when you lose strategic resourses unknowingly from pillage of city state allies or loss of the ally istself.

Any unit that needs a resource to be built will have said resource removed if a city state gifts it to you, like a heli will remove aluminum. I think its also impossible for you to receive one if you don't have enough resources. Bu they, its free stuff that saves you from wasting turns building it, so who can complain? also, remember, these can be UU's too guys :cowboy:

I don't see any problems with that. Unused units can be sold or gifted and since I seldom build any cavalry (too expensive), I see such gifts as very welcome.

My point is it's not really a gift if it isn't completely free. I know that I can sell it, gift it, or suicide it, that's beside the point.

Ehhh? I don't see why it "being free" is such a big deal. Since the fact you can sell it off for a slightly higher one turn allowance means that it's effective a postive investment to recieve the unit.

It is effectively a free unit that you can either sell, or use and pay it's normal price for being a unit in your army. It is a free gift that is then subject to the games terms and condictions.

If your going for a millitry victory it's a nice random topoff to help bulk the force.

For small empires or peaceful empires it's units they don't have to build.

Heck, even the French Legionaries that you get from the freedom polciy still isn't techinically free, you get 6 legionaries and you don't pay maintiance on six units. You could sell all 6 legionaries or six other units and probably make a bigger profit margin that means unless you had no units to start with those Legionares are still costing you resources just merely at a reduced cost. Yet we consider it a "free unit" because it's one we haven't built.

Personally, I find a good millitry citystate makes a fantastic ally, since I tend to recieve units in the early game that can allow me to focus largely on my economical game. Even if they are poorly trained in comparsion to what I have, more numbers for no cost* is still good for me.

*Again, by having him as an ally/friend I have payed a oppertunity cost of some description. But the left side of Patronage is one of the best policy trees anyway, so it's one I am happy to pay for all the other perks it comes with, extra happy, science e.c.t.

Gift it back for 5 influence or to another CS for quest. You'll get your horse/iron back as well. I never tell CS's to stop spawning units for this reason. (Or am I missing something?)
Beat me to it. This is the solution, especially if selling your horses/iron makes up a good portion of your economy. For role-playing purposes, I usually donate it to a CS other than the one who gave me the unit; re-gifting is a little more considerate than demanding a refund:blush:

This part of the game needs to be fixed. Trading for resources and then receiving a massive penalty for what you built when you end the contract is ridiculous... the trader receives zero penalty on my gold! :p

This part of the game needs to be fixed. Trading for resources and then receiving a massive penalty for what you built when you end the contract is ridiculous... the trader receives zero penalty on my gold! :p

If the trader built up a massive army with your gpt, then losing that gpt (when the agreement expires) may make them go negative and start losing science.

Don't do that? That's why they are called strategic resources and the reason they exist.

Top Bottom