If you could return this game at full price, would you?

• Yes

Votes: 118 37.2%
  • No

Votes: 199 62.8%

• Total voters
No. Of course not. What a strange question, at least to my perception. If you are not trolling, then what kind of discussion are you actually looking for? Just wondering.
The kind of discussion they used to have here about 4 months ago.
It's hard to deny anymore, the game (V) has gotten very much better. In my opinion, it longer is in the paid-beta state it was in when it was released...

I would even though it's a decent game.
But I lack money, and I would like to have portal 2 more :D

I vote "no" because I still regret to this day abandoning CiV 4. When CiV 4 first released it wasn't all that great, and then a couple of years later I see everyone ranting and raving about how great it is. Likewise, CiV 5 will continously get better and better.

In CiV 6, I would like to see less importance placed on graphics, and more importance put on gameplay and userfriendly modding tools. I want 2D leaderheads (not 3d) so it will be easier for modders, I want a plentiful supply of alternative units for novice modders to choose from (not just default ones), etc....

I basically want to see modding taken to a whole new level where the average Joe can create his own dream scenarios for the community to play. I don't like seeing modding limited to just hardcore coders. Take Little Big Planet on Playstation 3 for example, it's by far the #1 selling game on the Playstation simply because average normal people can create and mod their dream levels, which has produced hundreds of thousands of amazing levels.

Its a pretty game that makes me want to play. But, it turns me off to see that I can buy near everything I need ingame and I feel there is little reason for the "less is better" mode of game design now so currently popular.

My only dissatisfaction was that I bought the game on disc media and didn't get any benefit from it. I could've just bought it through Steam for $30 and had the same access. I suppose if I were eating bandwidth caps like those poor folks in Canada installing from the CD might have had some value ...

- Marty Lund

Definitely not, I've enjoyed it a lot. I started playing DAO about 6 weeks ago and didn't play a single game of civ 5 during that entire time, but now I've recently gotten back into it and enjoy it just as much (probably more in fact) as I did when it first came out.

Regarding some of Aatami's comments, it is really remarkable to me so see how much more positively the game is viewed now than it was even 2 months ago. This seems to follow a similar perception arc to civ 4, which is an extremely encouraging sign imho.

if i bought the game TODAY not pre-release? maybe i wouldn't be this much dissapointed
still like someone said Civ4 was pretty sucky when first started. it became great in the long run.
i'll wait for Civ5 to pick up not quit on Civ4 like i did only to come back like a month later :D

I would sell it but not for being a bad game. Money is tight for me right now. I would welcome the opportunity to trade it in for a fresh game. I'm mildly interested in Civ 5, but not like at launch when everything was new. I still play it once every few weeks. I just wish I had the money to try some other games while I wait for Civ 5 to be patched to perfection.

I voted yes and I would be happy if I also could forget everything about civ 5. But maybe if I wouldn't know anything about civ 5 I would buy it again, because I like civ 1-4 and would like to know how they even improved civ 4 mechanics further. And after some hours of playing civ 5 the circuit would begin new.

I tried playing it again last night. I was still highly unimpressed. It's sluggish, lacks depth, and diplomacy is still shot. Given I hate waging war in games and have always preferred diplomatic manipulation, that's nigh unforgivable.

If I could return it for full price, I would have done so long ago

It's actually quite tempting to vote 'yes', as that would appear the economically sensible decision. I've already got my purchase value at least out of the game, so returning for a full refund leaves me with a profit. But the potential for further profit in the value I get out of the game is still there, so I'd not want to cut out that possibility.

Nah, I've played around 800 hours as of this post. Much more than many other games costing the same. Civ5 is good value for money in terms of cost per hour for me. I was getting bored of Civ4 anyway. Yeah, Civ4 is better than Civ5 as it stands, but I'd played Civ4 for years and a change is welcome, for me.

Yes. I love this game, but I would get my money back and simply buy the game of the year edition at a later time to effectively get the DLC for free.

Played Civ I from "day one" - yeah, that was 20 years ago, and my conclusion (unequal "opinion"):

Granted, original Civ V is targeted for an infantile, egomaniac and imbecile audience - the "paying customer" aka "cash cow".
Moderator Action: Don't troll other users.
Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

But modded Civ V is beating every previous Civ.
Try it out, there are so many mods out there you can't play through all of them in a lifetime.

Do the Civ 5 mods make the game better than Civ 4 with all of its mods? I am wondering if I should get civ 5, and I'm still thinking, "probably not..."

Probably, yes.

I find that it lacks so much when compared to civ4. I am not even referring to religion or espionage or other features. What this game lacks is interesting choices about what tech to research next, who to ally with, where to proceed next, etc.

BtS is so much more fun, that I would happily wait for another year or two to see what the fans think of the game then. I will not likely buy a game on release again.

Really? Even though you play it enough to be checking out the forums?

No. The game still has issues, but it's a vastly better single player experience than it was before March.

If you were here for the multiplayer, I wouldn't blame you in the slightest for returning it.

Do the Civ 5 mods make the game better than Civ 4 with all of its mods? I am wondering if I should get civ 5, and I'm still thinking, "probably not..."

Try the demo, what most people who now hate the game skipped out on, and what most people who now like the game skipped out on, but were lucky they found it good. I :love: the game, but looking back I should have tried the demo just to be safe. Of course, 100 turns doesn't give you nearly any of all that the game has to offer, especially for people who love long games like me.

I would take it back instantly, but definitely be anticipating the expansions because Civ5 has a strong foundation, they just screwed everything else up on constructing an actual, enjoyable game.

Top Bottom