I'm overwhelmed by FFH2, advice please.

for my two cents, I recommend Elohim; main reason is you can "sample" more than one civ during a game, because when you capture another civ's city you can build their cultural units and buildings.

IMHO Elohim would be a good second or third step, after catching the basic mechanic...
having opportunity to build units and buildings of different civs adds a new layer of comlexity, not removes it

I would suggest Bannor. They're the most straightforward race in the game (IMO) with no real penalties or game-changing modifiers (aside from Crusade, which is entirely optional).

The first time I played I went with the Khazad because I like the Dwarves. I found myself going down the metal line and founding Runes of Kilmorph. Because of the vault system, I expanded slow and focused on a defensive military strategy. It helped me survive well into the game enough to experience warfare with many different races and to see how changes in the Armageddon counter affected the world. Once I had a good idea of how the world around me worked I was able to take on more challenging civs like the Amurites.

Don't make the same mistake I did when I first got the mod! I played the Amurites as Dain because they were the only ones I felt familiar with, well I was in for a surprise! WAY different from AoI, all the Magic and stuff made my head spin! :crazyeye:

Start playing the scenarios. It helped me to get to grips with FfH2. It is a great primer to both the lore and gameplay.
I am also feeling a bit overwhelmed with learning the whole game. I have played Civ on and off for years so I am familiar with the basic mechanics. I have read through the Civolpedia for FFH2 and have also played the Menagerie scenario. I have been reading the boards to try and get a basic run down of what order to play the scenarios in but haven't' been able to figure that out. I also tried starting a random game as Grigori but it seems a lot of the info on these boards assumes people already know how to play and what all the different things are. So... anyone willing to give a good run down of how to play through the scenarios for someone who is a complete newbie when it comes to FFH??

I am also feeling a bit overwhelmed with learning the whole game. I have played Civ on and off for years so I am familiar with the basic mechanics. I have read through the Civolpedia for FFH2 and have also played the Menagerie scenario. I have been reading the boards to try and get a basic run down of what order to play the scenarios in but haven't' been able to figure that out. I also tried starting a random game as Grigori but it seems a lot of the info on these boards assumes people already know how to play and what all the different things are. So... anyone willing to give a good run down of how to play through the scenarios for someone who is a complete newbie when it comes to FFH??

I'm not sure if the scenarios are best for people that have trouble at the beginning in absorbing all the different things (there are different opinions, of course).
Some of the scenarios are simple but others can be frustrating and long.
Try playing the Decius' scenarios (I don't remember their names).

My very first game in FfH2 was the Momus scenario. What a ride. I just went through the recon line because it seemed fun and different and tried to conquer everything with just hunters and rangers:lol:, eventually winning 2 turns before time ran out.

Why don't you just pick any civ that you feel that you might like for some reason, start a normal game in the low difficulty and go through just one tech line to get the feel for it and have fun with the units that you can get with it? Then start another game and go through just another line. Don't try to get everything at the beginning (no one can do that).

There's no need to feel overwhelmed. It's not like this game is like chess or something. It's just a game of experience. The fun is in learning and trying different things.
Give it a little bit of time and it will all make sense just from playing.

Top Bottom