[BTS] IMM & Deity lets play collection thread - Henrik

Ok, to follow up on my suggestion on youtube to test out March vs. Combat 4, here is a trial, worldbuilder-edited scenario to try out. The case:
It is the year 1760 (Quick speed, Dual size). Sitting Bull has been asking for it and is now feeling the pain. He has 4 cities left and you have 8, but he still has a decent amount of unit left. You have 13 Cuirassiers, a super medic and some slow units left in your stack - Sitting Bull has mostly Logbows and Muskets. You decide to attack with the cuirassiers. But before the next attack you can decide to promote the the cuirassiers to Combat 4 or March - how will it affect the outcome?

Using only the level 4 Cuirassiers and the medic.

With March:
Sitting Bull looses his last city 1790. He was willing to capitulate a turn earlier. Every turn was spend moving or attacking. He did launch a small counter attack which didnt matter as the guys healed before nexty turn anyway. Also with March unit could be placed strategic around the medic while moving, preventing Sitting Bull to reinforce, but the units still received healing. 7 Cuirassiers survived all the way.
With C4:
My 5 last Cuirassiers fail to capture his third city at the year 1810. The momentum was as good in the beginning, but every resistance slowed it down much more, eventually resulting in Sitting Bull building enough reinforments. The war could have been won anyway, but not only with the 13 Cuirassiers that was available at 1760.

Of course, one would need to try a few more scenarios to make a solid conclusion.

And by the way - thanks for the streams, they are great entertainment!

Attachments

• sigurdhdk C4VSMarchAD-1760.CivBeyondSwordSave
    50.5 KB · Views: 15
really enjoyed your multi-player stream @Henrik75 was a little different from the normal games, with the 3v3 set up
As I'm getting back into Civ 4, just wondered if you fancied streaming a Pericles game in the near future (any map, Imm or Deity). Never really played him, but he has really good traits (unlike Alex) but awful starting techs.

If I could choose any starting techs for playing a fractal map blind, I'd choose fishing & hunting :p

really enjoyed your multi-player stream @Henrik75 was a little different from the normal games, with the 3v3 set up
As I'm getting back into Civ 4, just wondered if you fancied streaming a Pericles game in the near future (any map, Imm or Deity). Never really played him, but he has really good traits (unlike Alex) but awful starting techs.
Hey mate, check out some of the previous live streams, I am pretty sure I did Pericles live on deity on a pangaea while back this year.

Thanks for the kind motivational words. More multiplayer co-op will be coming up as lots of people want a turn.

Yea, I'm currently in the middle of watching your Genghis Iso game, interesting on how you had to pivot strategy considering you did not expect to get an Iso map

@Henrik75 just a question, I've been going through your uploads / streams on your u-tube channel, and was wondering if on any you did any sort of naval war (frigates / privateers or later) in any of them, or is naval blockades / naval war something not really used in civ4. I have not managed to get through all your streams / vids yet, but if know of one which had some form of naval action then I could jump to it.

I only seem to use frigates as defence for my galleons when on a non-pangea map, but was wondering if you had ever played a game where you had some form of Naval warfare?

Henrik had a video series on the Earth 18-civ earlier. I was inspired to try it myself.

What I knew before making my own attempt, other than map knowledge. I watched his videos after I finished my own.
Spoiler :

His settings: immortal, epic speed, America. He won by space race. I like this choice. America feels even harder than Incas for reasons.

My modifications
Spoiler :

First time I got the +2 health event. Second time I got monarchy from a tribal village. Third time I got metal casting. Fourth time the Aztecs founded Hinduism. I've had enough of game-breaking luck and removed events and tribal villages using notepad.

My game.
Spoiler :

I moved and settled on the spices for two commerce, corn, and silver. Warrior rushed the Aztecs -- I started and tested 10 games and it worked. The exact method varies depending on what the RNG tells the Aztecs to do, which we can deduce by paying attention every single turn. Built TGW in one city and Oracle in the other for metal casting. We're industrious. Early fishing boat to contact the Incas.

Civ4ScreenShot0000.JPG

Underrated city. Gems for +2 happiness after forges, alongside silver and gold. The eighth and last courthouse, we're organised, and the forbidden palace, we're industrious. There's a six-production tile and, once borders expand, four forests to chop. Now I can expand freely in South America. I believe that the distraction towards code of laws is justified because we're organised. I even "wasted" a great scientist for philosophy because I wanted to run pacifism, which works with TGW.

Civ4ScreenShot0001.JPG

My goal is communism but I needed free markets to get there and I wanted the free great merchant. The tundra forests are chopped for universities.

Civ4ScreenShot0002.JPG

The Inca have outlived their usefulness and I now had a decisive military tech lead so I attacked. I thought that the most cost-effective way was 7 galleons, 20 drafted rifles, 1 medic. Let them live to prevent barbarian galley spawn.

Civ4ScreenShot0003.JPG

My last founded city and one that was included in spaceship production towards the end. I didn't, but if I wanted to clear all the jungles in South America and create more cities, then I would work my way East from here with watermill support. I would settle the Northern coasts but they were already taken.

Civ4ScreenShot0004.JPG

I am a believer of the national park for space race.

Civ4ScreenShot0005.JPG

Lumbermills. The internet never gave me refrigeration.

Civ4ScreenShot0006.JPG

1754 AD launch.

Civ4ScreenShot0007.jpg

@Henrik75 I rolled this map, which was not at all what I expected for a Fractal map. I think it might be a challenge (espically as your leader is Sally), if your still looking for more interesting maps

Standard map settings, apart from the random climate which the AI chose Tropical

Spoiler :

Your Semi Iso, but you have a good starting position. Considering the map, you might even think about an early Oracle play)

Attachments

• Saladin_hmmm.CivBeyondSwordWBSave
    374 KB · Views: 17
  • Civ4ScreenShot0000.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0000.JPG
    127.9 KB · Views: 64
Last edited:
Hello everyone,

I played this game on and off over the years until I got pretty comfortable with pretty much any immortal map and had a couple easy start deity wins under my belt. I haven't played in two years again now, so I figured I would roll some random immortal maps to get back into things, and one of the first rolls gave me this Shaka immortal isolation map.

I played it myself to optics and stopped there since my main interest in a first go was to see how my development fared since I'd been on such a long break.

@Henrik75 : I don't think this map has any characteristics that are unique as far as isolation maps go, but I do think it may serve as a good example for people (re)learning the isolation game, since Shaka's traits and ub are above average for iso imo, yet the leader is not often shown on isolation let's plays.
Fractal, standard settings, 908 tiles, tech trading is on.
The start is pretty decent, but the continent itself is not the best, the game should be approachable for less confident players than yourself to try and win an though (I think even after my long break I could probably win it if I played very deliberately from optics onward). Leaving it here in case you are still looking for maps to play/showcase.

Spoiler Picture of the start :

shaka iso1.JPG

Attachments

• Shaka Iso.CivBeyondSwordWBSave
    375.4 KB · Views: 14
Hey what's going on dude, this is christopher from youtube. I just randomly rolled one of the weirdest maps I've ever seen (grasslands in ice, single tile endorheic basin lake with 2 rivers leading into it, river running into ice patch and disappearing, the latter 2 being things I don't ever recall being generated?). I was convinced that this was isolation for many turns until another civ's scout showed up. I saved it to send to you. I got barb rushed and got irritated and opened up the world builder to see what was going on with the map.

Saladin, Fractal, No Tech Trade, No Huts, No Events.

Looks like the last map posted here by crashmon is also a Saladin Fractal map weird map which is an odd coincidence.
Don't feel obligated to play it, just throwing it out there.

Attachments

• Henrick_Save_June_14_2023.CivBeyondSwordWBSave
    371.3 KB · Views: 14
Hey what's going on dude, this is christopher from youtube. I just randomly rolled one of the weirdest maps I've ever seen (grasslands in ice, single tile endorheic basin lake with 2 rivers leading into it, river running into ice patch and disappearing, the latter 2 being things I don't ever recall being generated?). I was convinced that this was isolation for many turns until another civ's scout showed up. I saved it to send to you. I got barb rushed and got irritated and opened up the world builder to see what was going on with the map.

Saladin, Fractal, No Tech Trade, No Huts, No Events.

Looks like the last map posted here by crashmon is also a Saladin Fractal map weird map which is an odd coincidence.
Don't feel obligated to play it, just throwing it out there.
Hey everyone,
I just wanted to post a correction. I just went to play a new game of civ and noticed that my setting was inadvertently on Techtonics and I just went back and checked this save file and lo and behold this map was too, that explains the weird map.
My mistake, I must have clicked that map by mistake and not noticed, don't think I've ever selected that one before.

Don't be so sure it was you. Although I have a golden rule of "It's not the program it's the programmer." you still have to be vigilant. More and more the "Don't ever trust a computer." meme from the 80s is proving true. :)

I know that the timing is bad since you've just played a Monty game, but here are two Montezuma games you might enjoy.
Both are Fractal maps, and I've provided an Immortal and Deity version for both.
My suggestion would be to stick to Immortal, but you might want the extra challenge?

The first one is an Isolation game.
Spoiler :

MontyIsland_Start.jpg

It's just an enjoyable map.
It's not a game where you have to thread the needle and find the one strat that gives you a chance. It's a game of open possibilities. Whichever approach you want to try, the map provides support for it (not in the form of a 4 Gems cluster, though. :p ).
Your choices aren't limited: it's up to you to pick what you believe is the best approach.

And once you open up the world with Astronomy, you'll get more interesting choices and challenges.

This is the Civ4 game I've most enjoyed playing over the last coupla years, so I thought I'd share it.

I've left No Tech Trading/Brokering as that's the way I play, and I'm not really interested in strategies revolving around tech trading, but of course feel free to remove those lines from the file if you'd rather play with tech trading on. They're at the start of the file, so no big risk of a spoiler.
In the same way, I've also left the "no Vassal States" option, and that's because when I played the game, it made it more interesting. I distinctly remember thinking at one point: "OK, this would be easy with Vassals. But here, how the hell do I approach this??". Now of course, those same circumstances just might not happen again in someone else's game.
Anyway, if you'd rather re-enable Vassal States, just edit the file accordingly.

The second game is not an Isolation start.
Spoiler :

RickDangerous_Start.jpg

And this one is definitely more in the "challenge" category.
I've come back to this map several times, trying something different every time, to no avail.

The one thing I haven't tried is to essentially pack it and play from somewhere else (either literally or through some early rush). That's because I'm stubborn, and I wanted to work with the land I'm given (with the game handily providing a strong indication to that effect).
Of course, the Ivory at the start strongly suggest a particular approach... but I've failed at that one too.

I'm not a Deity player, so maybe it'll be easy for you, but that's one of the rare games I haven't been able to beat.

Here again tech trading is disabled.
I have re-enabled Vassal States, though, because although I never play with them, I don't think it has any real impact here.

Attachments

• MontyIsland_Deity.CivBeyondSwordWBSave
    369.8 KB · Views: 6
  • MontyIsland_Immortal.CivBeyondSwordWBSave
    369.7 KB · Views: 9
  • RickDangerous_Deity.CivBeyondSwordWBSave
    372.6 KB · Views: 5
  • RickDangerous_Immortal.CivBeyondSwordWBSave
    372.6 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
Tough choice, both look definitely interesting. Just done a no tech trade isolation Tokugawa game so I'll take a break from tough leaders on NTT immortal and have some fun on deity with tech trades and better leaders to change it up, then look into these maps later, no vassals yikes that does sound painful. NTT I'm getting more comfortable with.

Top Bottom