Immigration

mhIdA01

Chieftain
The emmigrates as a kind of settlers who can be made in cities that don't grow. They can be sent to cities of others civs who can grow. Over time the emmigrates in that city could surpass the original citizens. They could rebellion if they don't like the form of the goverment and join they original civ. Or they could have a kind of autonomy. The possibilities for the diplomacy are opened.

Or maybe you can also send them to your cities, for example a new city, maybe a colony overseas.
Or perhaps if your growth is more than housing capacity growth will spread to other available city based on space and attractiveness. This way you may lose population to a nearby civ if they have an attractive city. It may cause religious and cultural pressure.

In case of conflict (ideological "cold" war or a real war) they may raise war weariness or just local unhappiness for him, reduce warmonger penalty if you capture the city and may even rebel.

Only problem - if your cities are attractive you may want to build a wall or something, or you'll have problems.

The idea is not found new cities or colonies but sent the emmigrant unit to a civ different the original civ.

I know, but it seems a bit unrealistic. Also if AI tried to send emmigrant units to me I will decide that if he wants his people to be part of my empire so badly I'll help the process by taking his cities, thus eliminating the chance of instability.

Why would a civ want to sent out emigrants? And why would another civ want to accept them?

Immigration/migration happens on two levels. People move from the countryside to major cities and from poor, miserable places to happier, more prosperous places. They will cross borders to do so.

I'd like to see a player be able to designate 2, 3, 4 or so cities (based on total city count) as destinations for internal migration. All other cities of an empire would "send" a portion of their population growth to the nearest designated city each time it grew. An unhappy cities would send a bit more of its population growth.

Unhappy cities in empire A that have a very happy city in a neighboring empire, B, that is closer than a similar level of happiness city in its own empire (A) would send people to the neighboring empire. If the culture/religion are the same/similar, more would go each turn. As I see it the per turn trickle would small (maybe .1 or .2 of a population point), but steady, so over time, attractive cities would grow faster than normal and housing needs might become a problem.

Why would a civ want to sent out emigrants? And why would another civ want to accept them?

The sender wants to increase his influence with the receiver; and the receiver wants free population growth to grow his cities (at the cost of some foreign influence).

You could make it a mechanic where people flee due to invasion, unhappiness, poor wealth, or mismanagement of some other variety whereby receiving immigration is attractive, while losing growth that way sucks.

I think some of this should be automatic - if a city is too poor / unhappy / unhealthy / close to an invading army, some population may move to a better one (including perhaps a foreign one) . You should also be able to move population yourself (in earlier versions of civ, building a settler reduced population in the city it came from, and could be settled in an existing city to increase the pop there).

This should be affected by civics choices - e.g. open/close borders to encourage or prevent immigration and/or emmigration; and sufficiently authoritarian regimes should be able to mass-deport people from one part of the empire to another.

Isn't there a mod for Civ 5 that does a similar thing? If your Empire is unhappy, Citizens start to move to neighboring Civs? I'm sure I've played with a system that works like that in the past.

Needless to say, such a system should be semi-automated, I would not enjoy sending dozens of those units around. Instead, it should work with modifiers that you can influence. Could actually be quite a cool system, especially when tied into other sub-systems. If I could create a religion, and call it... I don't know... let's say, 'Militant Islam'. Then pump up my empire growth while ignoring happiness, have my neighbors bomb my cities into ruins, causing my now really, really unhappy population to spread all over the world and push everybody above their happiness caps and turning the world into a chaotic mess that would be hilarious gameplay.

I could see a lot of fun and ridiculous moments just coming from that system alone.

Certainly, if unrest or revolution are a part of the game, such events should force an exodus to neighboring more settled nations. If those fleeing are of a different religion, well then, social harmony might be affected.

Top Bottom