Inca Special Ability

ImperialGuard

Prince
According to the Civipedia, part of the Inca Special Ability is "pays no maintenance for improvements in hills and half elsewhere"

Not sure what this means..... I thought maybe it meant roads, but it doesn't say "pay no maintenance for roads in hills and half elsewhere" .... it uses the word improvements.

Does this mean there are other improvements that require maintenance that can be placed in hills ? :confused: :confused: :confused:

It's poorly worded. It means Roads/Railroads. That's all it can mean, because those are the only tile improvements that you pay maintenance on.

I don't know why they do a lot of the things they do... :lol:

Edit: You edited the part I was responding to before it showed up as an edit! NINJA EDIT! :lol:

I don't know why they do a lot of the things they do... :lol:

Edit: You edited the part I was responding to before it showed up as an edit! NINJA EDIT! :lol:

:lol: after I wrote it, I decided what's the point in complaining about another example of this poorly released thing we call Civ5 (doh! I did it anyways :D)

Yeah, road bulging with the inca takes some time to consider the best route. Sometimes it's worth it to connect hills, but sometimes connecting to a hill just to save in maintenance ends up costing more because of where the hills are.

There is a mod that make forts better and cost maintenance. I think it will count with Inca's specialty ability. The game cannot separate maintenance from road and from other improvements, so they call it like that to be 100% correct!

When I play as Inca I railroad spam every single hill in the country.

The Inca can be a powerful civ in the right environment. If you wind up near hills that are not next to a source of fresh water, they will not normally provide any food. To work that hill means you have to be betting two food from another source. With the Incan Terrace Farm, you can get one food on each of those hills, making working them much easier. Your granary will permit you to work two. Your watermill, if you you can build it, two more.

You can get terrific production with the Inca. It is one of my favorite civs. Its UU is available a little too early in the game. It's best use is when you upgrade it. When attacked, you can often dodge the attacker, which is pretty nifty, especially when you get crossbows and are in an era in which warring is much more common.

Not to mention Incas absolutely rock on the Earth map. So many mountains and hills... especially the Rocky Mountains and central asia. :)

I haven't played DLC Inca, but they looked good to me. While still pretty good i didn't realize Terrace Farm doesn't get food bonuses from Civil Service or Fertilizer, so a random hill tile not near a mountain without a tree (cause trees are better), to be 1 :c5food: 2 :c5production: thats a pretty bad tile still. & you are swapping out 1 food for 2 money with a trading post.

I like my custom Inca map :)

Spoiler :

Tee hee, its completely cheating like mad, but super fun to play.

Highlands map, or setting other maps to the youngest planet age setting will get you a lot of hills and mountains to take advantage of the Inca UA.

When I'm trying to go for a science victory with the Incas I also set the maps to wet to increase the number of jungle tiles. This is very nice when those jungles are also hills.

Reading some tips in this thread, I tried rolling a few random huge earth maps with 3 billion year age, and wet rainfall, and I got a start in central Asia with lots of jungles and a huge mountain range all to myself:

Spoiler :

Awesomeness. I can forget all about building next to rivers, building next to mountains for observatories and grabbing as many mountainside hills in the BFC is much better than a lousy watermill :)

This map is too powerful for Inca, I had too many great city sites and had to have them all!

Spoiler :

I wasnt prepared for Rome screwing me over by giving me 3 cities for peace :x

I tried to build road to hill but it said it costs 1 gold per turn. There were also sheep on the hill. Is this bug?

I tried to build road to hill but it said it costs 1 gold per turn. There were also sheep on the hill. Is this bug?

I think that it does not cost you money, it only says so.
BTW does anyone think that Terrace Farms should get boost from Civil Service & Fertilizers ?

Reading some tips in this thread, I tried rolling a few random huge earth maps with 3 billion year age, and wet rainfall, and I got a start in central Asia with lots of jungles and a huge mountain range all to myself:
(Bold by me)

Wait, those have an effect on earth maps? :eek:

I played random map for my first game as the Inca and rolled an *extremely* hilly, mountainous Pangaea. Was probably the best game of Civ V I've played yet.

Top Bottom