Infinite Spawn Point AI Vessels?

razterized

Chieftain
I was watching someone else in my house play Civ Rev today, and we noticed an abnormal amount of units offloading from an enemy vessel stationed outside his city. It hat started with just your typical legion armies, an archer, etc. However, as the city was fortified (but not with vessels) he left the boat there. As time progressed and the player worked up the tech tree, the boat started to offload horsemen armies and various other things that were much more advanced than previous units.

We began to think about it and, it seemed that units that require tech the player had learned before the boat was there (and received the bonus for first learning it) were soon being offloaded.

My question is then, has this happened to anyone else, and, is it possible that vessels act as infinite spawn points for the AI?

Didn't find this topic posted elsewhere.

Raz

I actually noticed this myself. A boat just sat off my coast, and pretty much over 50 turns unloaded 10 different armies at different times. As far as the boat moving, it was definitly there each and every turn and did not move.

I assumed that there was a 2nd boat going back and forth loading up new troops, but it never showed a boat moving in or out.

I really hope that was the case, cause an infinite spawn boat is really lame otherwise.

A civ can also get a unit if they're first to research a tech and it's placed in a random or semi-random city. I suppose its possible for it to be placed on a ship.

they can only be placed in cities not in ships. I have seen this before too, the only non-cheating explanation is that the armies where in the boat the whole time just waiting, and the Computer built the Samurai wonder which automatically upgrades all units.. even those in the boat.. which I think is highly doubtful..

No it's most definitely a cheat. I actually appreciated it though. It would throw a different army at me every turn, but they were always beatable and provided some nice upgrades for my troops. I took the ship out once I'd got my battleship though as it was starting to get tedious. It doesn't only do it on the ships either, it also does it if there's a fog of war near one of your cities, it will just spawn troops right on the edge of it.

In the very beginning of a game my warrior stumbled upon an AI city. I attack and got owned by an army of archers. The only problem, this was within the first few turns, before I had even had time to build a second warrior...so how did the AI build three archers in that same time?!

Hmm....for me has happened so that the enemy has a ship near my city,and every two or three turns there comes a legion army. And the ship was there for 30 turns! How can the AI build 10 legion armies when it just invented iron working? Also it is stupid that you can put infinite amount of units to a ship. That should be fixed.

They did that on purpose to encourage sea support which was negleceted by most players in other games. (The infinite amount of units thing on a boat - dont know how to quote in a quick reply lol)( oh w8 now i do lol - but already typed it :p)

yea they do do that.
i swear the galley wasnt being reinforced.
and id already built leonardos.
and they werent german.

theres no way they built like 20 different armies and loaded them into one ship and attacked me.
it was relatively early on too. early AD or late BC i think.

In the very beginning of a game my warrior stumbled upon an AI city. I attack and got owned by an army of archers. The only problem, this was within the first few turns, before I had even had time to build a second warrior...so how did the AI build three archers in that same time?!

I've seen this in one of my games too.

I sent out my first warrior I built exploring, and stumbled into an enemy capital city that was super close to me. I figured I'd roll the dice and try my warrior against theirs and bam...it was an army of archers defending their capital.

No clue how the AI built them so fast unless they always start with an army of archers to prevent this sort of rush?

I think the OP is correct on this one. I've seen similar instances where the AI frequently unloads units on my shore from his stationary vessel, and I don't believe he has tons of individual legions in there waiting to be unloaded because then he would just form armies and unload them all and take my city.

I actually noticed this myself. A boat just sat off my coast, and pretty much over 50 turns unloaded 10 different armies at different times. As far as the boat moving, it was definitly there each and every turn and did not move.

I assumed that there was a 2nd boat going back and forth loading up new troops, but it never showed a boat moving in or out.

I really hope that was the case, cause an infinite spawn boat is really lame otherwise.

Why don't you build your own ship and attack it then? I personally would NEVER let an enemy ship sit off my coast that long.

Yeah, a few fleets on your coasts and the AI will never mount an overwhelming naval invasion force.

Even on Deity the AI rarely makes naval fleets and sends one cruiser at a time. At least, in my experience.

I had this again last night. Was playing a head to head with my bro. From very early on I had an aztec galleon on my coast. It sat there turn after turn and did not move. I'm not exaggerating when I say for more than 25 turns on the run it unloaded legion armies straight onto my coast. Every single turn, 1 army at a time. I attacked it with my own vessels a couple of times but it kept beating me. Total cheat.

Fortified Sea vessels get fortificaiton bonus. You need to attack with with a fleet as most early game ships right up to cruisers have pretty low attack ratings relative to their defense and they are multipurpose transport/defending/attacking ships.

It's not up until you get subs and battleships that you have good attackers and defenders, with the battleships being good at both.

Top Bottom