Info from the rules

Originally posted by Sanguinarius

Safely is right! I've had situations where one measly little conscript warrior of mine is outnumbered by sometimes up to 10 (maybe more) horsemen all at once (say, a massive barbarian uprising), and he just stands there and kills them one after the other after the other 'til they are all gone. Only on the rarest of occasions, have I had one of my men killed by a barbarian; it always shocks the heck out of me when that DOES happen. Barbarians are fun to fight. *mad laugh*
Which I think is bogus. I had a spearman (on a hill) attacked by 23 Barb horseman and got only 1 lost HP! If that don't Qualify for a GL, I don't know what does!!

Originally posted by Becka

I thought that was changed in a patch a little while ago. :confused:

No, GLs can still only occur in battle with other civs.

On the lower levels barbarians are easy to kill (not sure what bonus you get when fighting them) but on monarch and above, I would be surprised to see a lone spearman defend against a monster stack of barbs.

Originally posted by Paradoxflux
America is part of the America culture group. Its kind of strange having America as a civ come to think of it, they dont' really fit.

Why is it strange to have America as a Civ? Because they are more "recent" or were originally colonies of a different Civ? I don't think that diminishes their claim to being a "Civilization" once they became independent.

If you ask me, they make a helluva lot more sense as a Civ than the Iroquois. Or Zulu.

Now that you talk about payments and bankrupcy i have a question: I'm at war with Egypt, and I'm seriously kicking their butt. My two SoDs are surrounding Dehli, so I opened Diplomacy to see what they got to offer for peace. Their offer was incredible: 64 gold per turn! Considering that's equal to the income of my mighty empire, I thought I should accept it right away. But then I looked at their treasury: 4 gold. Now I'm having doubts. How can they pay that amount of money per turn if they don't have it? If I accept, will I receive the gold?

4 gold in treasury only means they just used all their money..
They will simpply have to spend less money on other things to pay you off ;)

Don't expect to last long. It's likely all of their economic output. If anything happens where they are only able to send 63 per turn (build a settler, worker, have a city fall into disorder, etc. reducing their gpt income), they will instantly declare war.

I'd take the money, plus a ROP, and position my forces (preferablly on moutaintops!!!)

Cheers,
Shawn

Originally posted by Meithan
Now that you talk about payments and bankrupcy i have a question: I'm at war with Egypt, and I'm seriously kicking their butt. My two SoDs are surrounding Dehli, so I opened Diplomacy to see what they got to offer for peace. Their offer was incredible: 64 gold per turn! Considering that's equal to the income of my mighty empire, I thought I should accept it right away. But then I looked at their treasury: 4 gold. Now I'm having doubts. How can they pay that amount of money per turn if they don't have it? If I accept, will I receive the gold?

The computer players will always make their payments. No matter how unlikely it may seem that they'd be able to afford to, they'll stop researching and sell things off just to make sure they'll have enough to pay you each turn.
Which is a good way to cripple other Civ's; buy a tech from one, and then sell it to every other one of the Civ's. You'll make back most of your money. If you keep it up, you can quickly leap to the front of the tech race. When you're in the front, as soon as you get something new, sell it to the closest two or three. Odds are they almost have it as well, and in a turn it'll be worthless. Right now though, you can sell it to them for a large per turn payment, forcing them to slow down their research. Keep doing this, and pretty soon, they won't be able to afford to continue researching and by modern times you'll be five ahead of anyone else.

If you keep them too poor to compete, and avoid selling off military advances, you can position yourself to conquer the world simply by working up from the smallest country up to your financiers.

Sometimes I've noticed the computer players attempting to cause a war to get out of deals though. Never agree to a per turn deal with a Furious opponent.

Originally posted by ApocalypseKurtz
That means in a tiny world, as long as you have under 8 cities there will be no corrutpion. Likewise 12 for small, 16 for standard, 24 for large, and 32 for huge. As far as tech rates, I don't think they are any different; on a tiny world, tech advances will SEEM to come much more frequently because game turns are much shorter and there are less civs to deal with.

Hope this helps :D
Well, this is flat out wrong, so I'm very surprised than noone has catched it before me. Try having a city 20 squares from the palace that is unconnected to your capital under despotism. I can guarantee that this city will be very corrupt even if it is your second city.

Basically, the OCN part of the corruption (there is also a distance part) of a city increases propotionally with the number of cities that are closer than it to the palace or forbidden palace, but if the number of closer cities is >= the OCN, then the corruption will increase much faster.

Read the corruption thread in the strategy articles folder for deeper insight.

And you are wrong regarding tech rates as well. There is a tech cost modifer in the editor for each world size. So you need more science beakers to research a tech on a huge map than on a tiny map. This makes sense since you will have more cities and have higher income as well.

Guys, this thread is from last September. I'm sure everybody involved is much wiser today.

:crazyeye: I didn't notice. pheezer: where do you find these old threads? Are you reading through the entire forum history?
:eek:

Originally posted by TheNiceOne
:crazyeye: I didn't notice. pheezer: where do you find these old threads? Are you reading through the entire forum history?
:eek:

Actually, I found the link in an article on the site. I get bored at work, so I just browse about, trying to see if there's something really neat that I'm somehow missing out on with the game.

If you have negative cash flow and run into negative balance:
Improvements are sold, or cash payments to other civs are terminated! :eek:

I do not recall if you only lose a max of 1 city improvement per turn.

Originally posted by Jaybe
If you have negative cash flow and run into negative balance:
Improvements are sold, or cash payments to other civs are terminated! :eek:

I do not recall if you only lose a max of 1 city improvement per turn.
Yes, I'm near positive that you lose a max of one city improvement per turn. And I don't think this happens in the chieftain level.

Top Bottom