Interest in a FFH Succession Game?

Ok, let's talk settings:
I assume that if we play on a huge map we will have 24 players (or at least 22 at the start) on the map, no? It will be fun to have one each of every civ in the game.
As for map script, I usually play on continents, and I also played a lot of FfH2 games on the Erebus mapscript (although I now recognize its limitations). Lately I have been experimenting with the custom mapscript "Erebus continent" from here. I don't know if you have any opinions on it. (On Erebus Continent I play with low cohesion and water level at least medium because I really like naval warfare - but I recognize that my tastes are a little unusuall and I don't want to impose them on anyone. I will play whatever options you, or the majority, choose).

Difficulty: Prince is where I would be confident when playing on my own but I really want to try Monarch in a succession game (because when I'm playing alone I don't always manage my empire at 100% efficiency as I get bored with micromanagement after some time - and in a succession game this would not be the case).
Also, I have played a lot of games with the "Increasing difficulty" option, but only because it suits my playstile very well. I know that I am very weak (even agains the AI) in the early game and strong in the late game so using that option means that I have an uniformy challenging and uniformly fun experience throughout the game. But I don't know if it would work just as well for other players. (Also, because I play this way, and start on low difficulty, I always choose "Agressive AI" and "raging Barbarians" because tit makes the game more fun. But in a normal game I'm not sure this is a good ideea as the risk of getting knocked out early is too high).

Other settings I normally use are "all unique features" (as you suggested), "blessing of Amathaon" (makes developping cities easier without unbalancing the game) "wildlands" (it's more fun to have animals around, there are more barbarian units to farm for XP, and it helps with some culture buildings like animal cages) and "living world" (because, again, it's more fun).
I also like to play with the "puppet states" option from BUG, because it makes getting vassals easier.

One last suggestion is that maybe we should disable the altar victory option, because in my experience the AI really likes to go for it, it's usually faster that the tower vitctory (as they only need to farm prophets instead of chasing all over the map for new mana sources) and it can be really annoying to try and stop them, especially on a huge map.

Once again, the above are just my preferences, but I am very willing to try something different, and won't give you any trouble if you choose other settings.

obviously i have no opinion, though the simpler the options, the better for me as i haven't played the game since an SG two or three presidents ago. that being said, i enjoy the idea of monarch. as we know, losing in style is better than a boring win :D

it seems like everyone's pretty much on board for whatever you might want to decide as well, and hang on for the ride.

OK, how about this.

Amurites (Dain), Monarch difficulty, Huge Terra map (with MNAI I find it annoying the amount of 1 tile islands the AI will settle!). Let's make it fun and choose "all unique features", "blessing of Amathaon", "wildlands", "living world", "Agressive AI" and "raging Barbarians". Let's keep the Altar victory in and see if we can "discourage" the AI from using it. My experiences would say that aggressive AI and MNAI will mean lots of war. I'll roll up a start and we can get rolling

A new starting position rolled with settings as above

Not great but not too bad, a bit short of food but irrigation and farms can cure that.

I'd settle in place and see what the world has in store. Capital on warrior builds, scout to go south and pop the hut and warrior north to explore the ruins. It is risky but longer term we don't want lizardmen raiding the capital endlessly, if it all goes to hell, we can re-roll. Less worried about the archer fort south and goblins are easily dealt with.

Thoughts??

ROSTER
ozbenno - UP and will boldly lead us to oblivion
King Bulrush - ON DECK and waiting to fix the certain disaster of the above
unroyal_swordsman - Still with us?
pholkhero - waiting to be thrown in the deep end
OPEN - you know you want to

Attachments

• FFHSG TURN-0000.CivBeyondSwordSave
    313.2 KB · Views: 35
Thoughts??

I agree with your plan.

ROSTER

OPEN - you know you want to
As you are a moderator you probably know if this ideea is in accordance to the forum etiquette or not:
There is another thread on this same subforum titled still playing in 2020 . I posted on that thread some time ago to float the ideea of a succession game, but without success.
However, anyone who might be interested in a succession game is by definition "still playing in 202[2]" and maybe following that thread. Do you think it is worth making a post there to advertise our game?

I was thinking settle in place, warriors all around, and get some farms going, but you already said all that.

hmm...maybe our scout can go south...oh wait...

ok, i'm loading up a game of my own to get my bearings a bit...i finally feel in the deep end

I'll play 20-30 turns so won't get close to a third. Let's see what we need at the time.
Did you decide on the length of our individual "reigns"? I suppose we could each play 30 turns at the start, and after that a series of 20 turns per person.

hey, can i request a new thread maybe? with an appropriate title? like Oz and his Band of Misguided Miscreants Who Just Want to See What the World Has to Offer

maybe that'll jostle any fence-sitters, plus it's much cleaner :D

or "Rolling over the Quartet's Magic" (dang, did i just create our next ffh sg?)

I've been delayed in starting up (will be tomorrow for sure!). New thread can de done.
yeah, yeah, yeah...

but the bigger issue, ROTQM further on down the line? was there one? w imhotep?

Maybe it's because I am from more of a dwarf fortress mindset but isn't the point of a succession game for each player to take his turn in secret and than give the save to the next guy with a detailed report that leaves out all the fun little devious pitfalls he left behind? Like that one unmarked lever in the room of levers that do important things so you need to use them regularly which happens to be linked to the one pillar holding up the ceiling in the main hall.

Always up for ROTQM action. What's the variant you're thinking of?
a FfH one: "Rolliing Over the Quartet's (or Quintet's) Magic" : some sort of magic coalition vs us?

Maybe it's because I am from more of a dwarf fortress mindset but isn't the point of a succession game for each player to take his turn in secret and than give the save to the next guy with a detailed report that leaves out all the fun little devious pitfalls he left behind? Like that one unmarked lever in the room of levers that do important things so you need to use them regularly which happens to be linked to the one pillar holding up the ceiling in the main hall.
i think having to play with some of us is a devious pitfall all on its own :)

Top Bottom