IOT Minecraft Server? IOT Minecraft Server!

Angst

Rambling and inconsistent
So JamesCaesar casually played Minecraft for like 10 minutes today and I immediately thought of paying for a Minecraft server.

Anyone interested? You don't have to read the below server thoughts.

Personally I prefer doing PvE. But if we're enough people, building two factions of cities/fortresses and doing some (carefully planned) PvP every once in a while could be interesting. I'm reserving the last say as long as I expect myself to pay for it ;)

Also, I expect for the server to be as vanilla as possible, but if like 70% of people don't want to play it that way at all, my ears are open :p

EDIT: Just fired up Minecraft, there are a few new options.

We can play with an "amplified" map generator; this will require much more RAM apparently, but create a much more fantastical world with more daring slopes and floating islands. http://minecraft.gamepedia.com/Amplified

There's also a Large Biomes option which I have to say makes me curious since while the world is less varied, it'll probably have more of an identity/setting due to increased biome size.

Lastly, we can make our own customized world type. I'm not sure I wanna mess with that tho. :p
EDITEDIT: Wow, the custom world generator has some weird options. It allows lava oceans - we don't mind that, do we? Because then I think we'll just fire up a normal world generation, but with the possibility for lava oceans. xD

A few thoughts on server details
  • While I trust that people don't crap stuff up I'm still going to do some minimal griefer protection (I'll pick a mod that just reads whomever edited a block last)
  • I can probably pay for it, since the cheapest plans really cheap, but I'd love if people chipped in. Just one or two bucks makes like a 10-20% difference depending on the plan.
  • Oh, yeah, plans. Minecraft Realms is probably the easiest plan to mess with, but there's an 11 player cap. So it depends on how many are interested. Otherwise I'm considering a bunch of plans:
    https://mcprohosting.com/plans#/name?plans=mc
    https://scalacube.com/hosting/server/minecraft/plans
    According to this thread, 1GB of server RAM should cover 20 players or so with the expected number of plugins, but this wiki kinda disagrees. I'm fine with paying up to around 10 bucks a month.
  • Will probably be hosted in US East because of the concentration of dirty yankees in this community.
  • We'll use the "IOT" seed because manifest destiny.
  • If I at some point decide to put the server down (it is money after all), I'll say the server will be put down as early as possible. Ideally I plan to notify people 3 months in advance if the server's busy. If the activity dies, I'll probably wait one month or so before shutting it down. Upon the server shutting down, the world files will be made available for everyone.

Last edited:
Subbed. This sounds fun.

Also subbed :D

Reposting what I said in chat

I still feel like a hosted server through hamachi would be better than realms, since its free and when we do play it'll probably be together so we dont need it up 24/7.

anywho subbed obviously this'll be a ton of fun

Good to have so much interest already. Discord is budgin with it too :D

If we do the Hamachi thing, I'm probably not the guy to host, because Denmark. Time zones. That stuff.

What do people think about Large Biomes? I know it reduces variance but I'm personally a big fan of it. The map will get a sort of "theme" by virtue of a starting setting, and building projects won't be as limited if they are to fit the terrain.

I would prefer something that is able to be run at all times of day, just because timezones.

I am interested

Large Biomes update! I just found out Custom Map type can change the base Biome size. I expect to do a slightly larger biome size, or stick with normal. Large Biomes are way too large. :p

Annnd doing just a small biome size increase to 5, this is how large biomes are. I'll set it at 5, max. (4 is the default.)

Spoiler :

So I'm thinking of turning on the server next week, Wednesday, at 10 PM GMT +1. That should be 2 PM in US EST. You guys up for that?

I probably wouldn't be able to make the launch unless it was the next day or later in the day, but I would totally join the server later regardless.

Sounds like fun, main reason I play very little minecraft is because I hate playing it in an empty world. (Also I'm a total noob). I'd love to join in.

Sounds like fun, main reason I play very little minecraft is because I hate playing it in an empty world. (Also I'm a total noob). I'd love to join in.
You're very welcome - I feel the same way. Hope you can show up at launch. ^^

---

You're all very welcome. Can people start at the said starting point? You can let me know on Discord if you want. I just wanna be at least 3-4 people when we start it up. ^^

You're all very welcome. Can people start at the said starting point? You can let me know on Discord if you want. I just wanna be at least 3-4 people when we start it up. ^^

Now that my university schedule has solidified somewhat, I could participate, but only for like an hour which probably isn't enough time. I would prefer it much more if it was held ~24 hours later.

Hm, let's see. Thursday is good too if it fits people more. I'll let you guys decide.

For those unaware I do have minecraft now and can join. :D

If it is Thursday I may join late or something, is the server going to be always on or something else in the end? I don't mind large biomes.

Are we going to build a central city together?

When you get the server name and code just pm it :) or maybe add a new discussion group in the IOT playing video games discord.

Server will become always on, and I think we'll stick to normal biomes. I did some testing and they're definitely big enough.

I think it's up to people what they wanna do. You can ask around what they want to do. ^^ Two or three people have talked about simply moving somewhere fast and doing their own thing.

I'll share the server on Discord somewhere, so you can just log on then. ^^

So...Thursday?

Top Bottom