Irish Naval Service

BC1871

Warlord
Irish Naval Service
I recently viewed a tv show on the Irish Naval Service, which left me with some questions. So if there are any former members of the Irish Navy on this site, perhaps you can furnish me with some answers.

Boarding Party:
1)I've noticed that when engaged in the boarding of fishing vessels that the boarding party is unarmed. Is that the standard operating procedure for most boarding parties when engaged in fisheries patrols?
2) When engaged in an "opposed" or potentially dangerous boarding, I've noticed that the boarding party does not carry any less then lethal weapons(ASP or OC). Are intermediate weapons taught, or is it simply an escalation from open hand control to deadly force?
3) To receive boarding party training, does a member have to be a specific rating/branch?
4) What training do members of the ship's boarding party receive?

Military Police:
1) Does the Irish Navy have its own direct entry Naval Police rating(ie: USN Master at Arms) or is it more like the "Regulating Branch"(ie: manned by Petty Officers and senior ratings).
2) What sort of Law Enforcement/Security Training do members who are tasked with provost duties receive?
3) Do members who are tasked with provost duties, engage in law enforcement duties at Naval Base Haulbowline, or are their responsibilities limited to shipboard policing only?

Force Protection:
1) Do all members of the Irish Navy receive force protection training?
2) What unit, if any is responsible for base security at Haulbowline?
3) Does Haulbowline have a waterborne force protection unit around the naval yard?

I also have a question.

Does the Irish Navy still enforce the migratory treaty concerning the plight of North Atlantic Tiger Roaches or has that responsibility been transferred to the Irish coast guard?

So the best place to get info about the Irish Navy is Off Topic Civfanatics now?

Also, I read the whole first section as ''If I join the Navy will I get guns and/or weapons training?''. If you want guns just go to Bolivia and plot to kill Evo Morales. Far easier.

The North Atlantic Tiger Roaches do not need protection!

The Irish navy is tiny and I doubt there is anyone here who can answer those questions.

I once knew someone who was trying to find a girl (a navy trainee) he met once but he only knew her first name so he sent a letter to Niamh at Haulbowline, Cork and it got to her.

We get the occasional visiting foreign navy ship here in Galway and they always dwarf the local ships.

Ireland has a navy?

We do have something like 3,500 miles of coastline and a big chunk of the Atlantic to patrol. They mostly patrol for drug shipments coming from the Caribbean using the Irish coast as a quite spot to drop stuff off for onward delivery to Europe and for illegal fishing (the Spanish mostly).

Top Bottom