Irritating Stuff

Sejong

Chieftain
Here's a list of stuff that's really lame in Civ III. Possible solutions to these problems would be appreciated.

1)Attack of the Blind Bombers: I'm sorry, but bombarding a densely populated area should, at the very least, lop off a population point. These bombardment failure notices drive me nuts. It's not even REMOTELY realistic. Wave after wave of bombers, and hordes of artillery should be able to reduce a city to smouldering ruins. In fact, I think they should've worked that into the animation. I don't know about other gamers, but I want to see some serious wreckage for all the effort.

2)Enter the Turtle: Am I missing something, or is having the movement of your units reduced to one in enemy territory just a bit arbitrary? This is ridiculous, especially when you develop mechanized warfare. Does the word Blitzkrieg ring a bell? Thanks to this wonderful rule, campaigns that should take 2-3 turns now take, I don't know, 10? Call me crazy, but I think the only thing that should impede your movement so drastically, is the presence of other units resisting yours.

3)Unsinkable Ships: In the real world, or Civ II for that matter, airplanes sink ships. I thought the patch was supposed to fix this. This one's too stupid for words.

4)Gonzo Starting Locations: Hint: Persepolis is not in the American Mid-West, unless you're playing Civ III. I doesn't seem to matter how few players you have, the computer drops you in the most outrageous locations when you choose a world map with "culturally linked starting locations". My favorite is starting the French in Africa or the Indians in South America.

5)Lunatic AI: No matter how powerful you are, the AI makes ridiculous demands. I was playing as the Americans on a world map. I had the largest GNP, the largest landmass, the largest population, and a huge modern army. The AI still makes absurd demands. The negotiating process is completely unbalanced.
Even if you trounce the AI, it still makes lame demands.

6)Wimpy Weapons: Cruise missles should have a much longer range than they do. The carrying capacities of the aircraft carriers, helicopters, and submarines are ridiculously low. A modern carrier or submarine is bristling with missles. The aircraft carrier should be the ultimate conventional weapon, as they are in real life. The fact that the game does not contain chemical or biological warfare makes for some pretty tame battles. Long range cruise missles with bio or chemical-warheads would certainly add realism to the game. Adding the tactical nuke was a good idea. They should throw in FAE's while they're at it.

7)Mission Impossible: Espionage in this version of the game is outlandishly expensive, for no apparent reason. It should not cost over 3,000 gold to steal a tech, (as it did in my last game) that's absurd. What makes even less sense, is that even after you've got rocketry and space flight, spy satellites never come into the picture. Presumably they could be built (and intercepted) like other units.

Well, that's all I can think of for now. Basically I like the game, but this stuff really irritates me.

Use the Editor, Luke.

All but numbers 2 and 5 can be solved with a few minutes in the editor.

Originally posted by warpstorm
Use the Editor, Luke.

All but numbers 2 and 5 can be solved with a few minutes in the editor.

Number 5 can be fixed in the editor? And #2. Are you sure you don't mean 3, 6, and 7.

I read somewhere that you can fix the starting lcoations, but you may need to search or talk to those in the C&C forum.

Regarding #1, I would like to see the cities population shift towards the unhappy spectrum during bombardments. Say 1 "face shift" for every x numbers of shellings.

edit: welcome

sealman you must have missed the word BUT in my sentence

1, 3, 4, 6, and 7 are possible to some extent in the editor

As to #2, skilled players can do a 2-3 turn blitzkrieg campaign that tactically challenged players need 10 turns to complete (hint: it is more sophisticated than just using mechanized armor - you need operational support [workers & settlers]).

As to #5, America today (somewhat comparable to America in your game) does not get complete peace from overmatched civilizations. If your diplomatic skills become more polished than that of King George II of the current American monarchy, not only can you escape absurd AI demands, but you can also actually stand a chance of winning a UN vote.

As mentioned above, if you look to the current game rules as lame rather than a challenge to work around, then the editor that comes with your game will be a much better friend to you than the typical CivFanatic that reads your post.

Originally posted by Sejong
Here's a list of stuff that's really lame in Civ III. Possible solutions to these problems would be appreciated.

4)Gonzo Starting Locations: Hint: Persepolis is not in the American Mid-West, unless you're playing Civ III. I doesn't seem to matter how few players you have, the computer drops you in the most outrageous locations when you choose a world map with "culturally linked starting locations". My favorite is starting the French in Africa or the Indians in South America.

Culturally linked starting positions just makes sure you start near other civs in your culture group :- e.g European. Besides what would be the point of starting every civ where they are in real life? The Japanese would be crippled, b/c by the time they could Map Making China, the nearest civ, would have settled most of the nearby area. Europe would be jam packed with civs, the English would be crippled, and the continent would contain... France,Greece, England, Germany and Rome. Russia and China would dominate and America, Iroqoius and Aztec would be too powerful compared to the weak European civs. Oh and the Zulus would have Africa to themselves

1.- i am always repeting myself on that, but it mean i am right. Firaxis increase defensive value against bombing ( citizen and building) from 4 to 16 with patch. Go into editor and lower it back to 4, your bomber and artillery will work great.

3.- You can add lethal bombardement to several units into editor. An exemple, if you add lethal sea bombardement to bomber, then they will be able to sink a damaged ship.

6.- Again go into editor, increase cruise missile range from 2 to 8, i suggest you to give them tactical missile ability and give aegis cruiser the ability to carry 4 tactical missile, then i tell you CM rock.

1 - Early bombers WERE off target a lot. Even with artillery. Just stack more of them together.

2 - Simple answer. Resistence, and unfamilar terrain. Besides, with rails, it wouldn't be too fun to roll up 5-8 tanks per city and attack. It makes for more strategy. Use a sea-blitz (group transports filled with 8 tanks near each city, and attack).

3 - You can set artillery/bombers to Lethal Bombardment in the editor.

4 - What about Gonzo? :lol: You can set the starting locations in the editor. Just right click the starting location circle, and go to 'assign'.

5 - The AI can get desperate. You can adjust some of the settings in the editor. If the AI doesn't have oil, it's going to cry and whine for it.

6 - Again, edit the values in the editor.

7 - When you're researching a tech at full throttle, take note of that number, and then reduce to 0%, and compare it with that number. That's how much you're paying for science per turn. 3,000 gold is nothing if you can get 1000 gold per turn at 0% research. (it'll take 4 turns to research a tech, so you're getting a tech 1 turn early).

I was going to say most of this is fixable with the editor but everyone beat me too it :)

Originally posted by Sejong

1)Attack of the Blind Bombers
Try using more Bombers/Artillary. As Chieftess said, artillary and bombardment is and were pretty off target. And how fun would it be to succeed with almost every Bombardment in game? A Metropolitan would be buildingless and bombed down to size 1 city withing just a couple of turns...
Also, try bombarding the terrain. That's easier and it will lower the population count in the city. (You can change this in the editor)

2)Enter the Turtle
First of all, it's not lowered to 1 movement. If you have 3 movement you can use that. It's just that you can't use their roads and railroads to your advantage, until you have them in your control, i.e. within your or neutral borders.

3)Unsinkable Ships
(You can make planes/artillary/ship bombard lethaly in the editor)

4)Gonzo Starting Locations
Ever tried the editor? Open up your scenario, look up, or place the starting positions. RightClick them and choose "Reassign". Save, and start in Civ3. If you did right, each civ should be placed as you chose...

5)Lunatic AI
Your Power is set by amount of units (and their value), amount of cities, territory, gold etc...

If they trade bad deals with you can have numerous reasons though... bad relations, low culture (on your part), low power (your) etc...

6)Wimpy Weapons
Cruise Missiles are the only Artillary/Bombardment unit (plus the Nukes) with lethal bombardment on as default.
7)Mission Impossible
I agree, the prices of espionage is a little high. But I trust their Designing skills here... they are high for a reason. Probably because it would be too easy otherwise. Stealing a tech in the Industrial or Modern ages for 3000 Gold can be worth it. Especially if you are in war. Or nobody will trade it.

They didn't design Civ3 to be realistic. They tried to balance everything they put in the game so that it is a fun game to play.
To be balanced they have to cut down on realism a bit.

The only thing about editting games is that when people start playing PTW, those whose strategies are based on some mod will be at a disadvantage, unless all that are playing in the particular multiplayer game can agree on the mod.

Ok people, don't beat on the newbie now. Be nice to the new user and *politely* provide him with the information he needs.

We can't all be perfect...err.. i mean..we can't all be me :D

I doesn't seem to matter how few players you have, the computer drops you in the most outrageous locations when you choose a world map with "culturally linked starting locations".
You dont understand what "culturally linked starting locations" does. It makes it so civs that were near each other historicly will be near each other in real live. Examples?
Germany - England - France
Roman - Greek - Persian

There may be more civs in the group, but thats the jist of what linked starting locations does. It has nothing to do with where on the map the groups will end up.

Top Bottom