Is anyone besides me happy with the game?

I'm having a blast with the game so far. Sure there are many SMALL things that need to be fixed, but nothing so broken that it detracts from the game. And things will only get better from here!

These seem like superficial complaints. These things weren't obvious in any previous version of Civ, either. It's only that we had years to work out the details. I'm sure that will happen here, too (or even faster than years, although longer than a few days).

I disagree. We had pretty clear indications in the past about how the other AI civs felt about us (maybe not in Civ I). Take Civ 2, for instance. When I brought up the diplomacy screen, each rival civ was listed, and it said how they felt (ranging from "enraged" to "worshipful"). We get ZERO indication now. I'm not saying it's a gamebreaker at all, it's just something that I think needs to be improved.

I only played for about 2 hours last night, which was around 80 turns I think, and I enjoyed it and thought it flowed very smoothly. Only thing which seemed off was how slow production was and that I had not built a single building in my 3 cities after so many turns in the game.

This i think is one of the more.. intricate.. changes from civ 4 to civ 5. Units and buildings and wonders all take on average equaly quite slow to build, sort of. The regular buildings and units are quite slow to build, which means buildings wonders is more often worth it. In civ 4 i'd only ever build the best ones, in civ rev, i'd hardly ever build a wonder, but in civ 5, in the demo, it felt more balanced.

I like the diplomacy, but i second and third the motion to have some sort of indicator, it would be nice to know if Alexander hates me before i agree to give him 6 iron for 30 turns.

I've experienced mostly the opposite with the AI spamming cities every 3 hexes but never really developing any of them. In my last game, I had 6 cities (populations all ~10) and France had 14 cities all with populations below 5. Whereas I had my cultural borders loaded up with mines, trading posts, farms, etc, France had basically a clean slate yet will outproducing me militarily by a huge margin.

So far, I'm really enjoying ciV. I first tried to play it as I would cIV (every city has granary, barracks, walls, etc) and learned quickly cIV requires a whole new approach. What that approach is I haven't figured out yet, but going to be interesting.

A few oddities have shown up: "Standings" with some AI swing wildly from one turn to the next. Elizabeth in England would go from neutral to hostile and back to neutral every other turn. The "Route To Mode" where you have your workers build roads doesn't work well. Every time I'd tell it to build a road connecting one city to the next, it would always stop 2 hexes short!

I've been reading here that a good number of people are not happy with the game, but I really like it. It runs far better on my computer than I was expecting, and I like many of the changes that are implemented. On the point of building roads, I think, the entire length of the road needs to be inside your borders, because I experienced what you're describing.

I disagree. We had pretty clear indications in the past about how the other AI civs felt about us (maybe not in Civ I). Take Civ 2, for instance. When I brought up the diplomacy screen, each rival civ was listed, and it said how they felt (ranging from "enraged" to "worshipful"). We get ZERO indication now. I'm not saying it's a gamebreaker at all, it's just something that I think needs to be improved.

I see what you're saying. I haven't gotten enough into it yet to figure out if there is some information, just buried. It does seem like there should be something.

I see what you're saying. I haven't gotten enough into it yet to figure out if there is some information, just buried. It does seem like there should be something.

I noticed Bismark was SCOWLING at me. I was talking to him about Open Borders, and he was scowling, using stabbing thrusting body language, and giving me bad vibes and I got nervous.

Ten turns later he declared war.

This is approximately 1000034 times better than it saying 'Furious' or 'Friendly' and making AI civ leaders into a bunch of dry stats.

Sure everything in Civ needs to be boiled down to stats. The one and only exception to this I think is the AI. The AI being made more human and enigmatic, and relying on the player's perceptions is a good thing.

Also it does say 'Hostile' in the diplo screen if they're VERY angry. I'd happily see this removed though.

See my playthru in sig for other thoughts.

Sure everything in Civ needs to be boiled down to stats. The one and only exception to this I think is the AI. The AI being made more human and enigmatic, and relying on the player's perceptions is a good thing.

Don't worry, there will be a long CFC thread analyzing how it's worth -2 points if the leader scowls at you, +3 points if he winks his left eye, -5 points if he looks to his left, etc.

I am at turn 250 (normal) with Montezuma in my first game and loving it. I'm not even taking any "me" time, if you know what I mean.

I played a Large Continents map as Caesar on Prince Domination, conquest to me still lol. I loved it I think I took one bathroom break? Honestly can't remember if I did or not haha played from the time I got off work till 4 am and finished it. Tons of small things to fix but it was like the first time I played Civ2 back on ps1 and Civ 3, and cIV it's Civilization just my first game of probably 10k to come in the next years greatest series of all time hands down and this is coming from a competitive FPS player.

Other than the problem with my video cards (8800GTS) and the DX10/DX11 version, I'm pretty happy.

With the DX9 version I'm in the Renaissance Era in the mid 1700's as Germany and have had a bit of a challenge with empire management - balancing cash and happiness has been tough, even on Prince level. I do hope for an update along the way to improve the AI at combat - I rolled Persia and Egypt once I decided to go to war, due in large part to ineffective field generalship on the part of the AI.

However, the Songhai saw an opportunity while I was tied up elsewhere and have kept me pretty much stalemated at this point. And upon sending off my first caravel, I find Washington has stomped pretty much everyone on his continent and has a pretty sizable lead at this point. Not sure how that will play out if it comes to me having to make a sizable trans-ocean invasion of his continent!

I do have the red splotches in spots, but I can live with that until a patch comes along. Once I get home today, I'll have to go into my nVidia control panel and dial up SLI, which I found out wasn't working automatically for others, so I probably wasn't on SLI either...

Eventually, I'm sure we'll get some good patches from Firaxis/2K and more excellent ones from the modding community - after being through 5 of these launches (counting CTP and CTP2, but not CivI, which I 'discovered' a couple months after release) I'm pretty much aware of the pattern that follows a game's release. It is pretty comical to see all the raging haters about this or that though... People need to chill a bit, geez...

I'm having a good time with the game, out of the metaphorical, steamy, box. Am I alone in this?

I am certainly not! This damn game made me stay up until 3 in the MFing morning, and I had to get up at 9 the next morning. I nearly fell asleep in my bio lecture!

sarcasm aside, I am thoroughly enjoying Civ V. There is one thing I dont quite like about it though; Sometimes it just seems like it takes forever to build anything. I mean, the average time it took me to build just an infantry unit was 7 turns in my first game, and I had a crapload of factories, and every city of mine was linked by rail. I also had a crapload of mines around the cities.

Now I can understand that they wanted to make every unit seem very important, but even then the units are still way too easy to kill IMHO. I mean, in my first game, I was absolutely slaughtering divisions upon divisions of Chinese infantry with my artillery in and around the mountains.

I have hope though as this is very easily remedied. Just increase the production bonuses from mines and this will be alleviated entirely.

There may be small issues with the game... but I bought Elemental. This is no Elemental. Civ 5 is almost obscenely well-designed, and the few issues stem from either relatively minor technical issues (which I've not actually encountered myself) or AI faults. Recall that Civ 4's AI improved over time and with expansions due to the moddability of that game - I imagine (and hope) that Civ 5's AI will undergo the same gradual refinement over time.

I have a quad core and 4850 x2

I can run the game easily at higher settings, but i prefer DX9 for smoothness and stability.

I'm enjoying the game but trying to learn how to not cripple myself with expansion. Anything past 5 cities and down the road I pay for it.

This is approximately 1000034 times better than it saying 'Furious' or 'Friendly' and making AI civ leaders into a bunch of dry stats.

Except if, you know, you have a job and a family and some other stuff to do in your life and can't spend four hours every day playing a computer game and have to save the thing to play later in the week, or maybe even later in the month, and don't remember what Bismarck and Elizabeth and Julius and Wu and all the other people looked like at that moment.

What does Firaxis think I should do, take notes?

There should be a screen where it tells me what my relation to the various other civs is. It doesn't have to be complex (though complex is better), just "good", "bad", "furious" would be fine.

I am really enjoying the game.

I still need to get used to what tech's lead to what, and what building does what, though, but of course that's to be expected.

My favourite thing so far (and it's a little thing) is the game I am playing now, as Ramesses, I had Montezuma on by border. He kept contacting me to tell me things like "I just wanted to let you know you're pathetic", or "Oh, it's my favourite city-state" to me. I eventually had an emotional response, got mad, and had to wipe him out, just because he kept poking me in the eye! It's awesome!

I do wish they would make the pop up when you mouse over your units appear faster though. I don't want to have to hold my mouse over a worker for 2 seconds to see how long until he is done, or over a unit to see how many hit points he has left exactly. If that was a half second mouse over, i would be much happier.

Other than that, it's fun, super addictive, runs well on my computer, looks great, and feels new and exciting and fresh compared to BTS.

I only have a short time in the game, but so far I am really enjoying it.

There is a fine line between streamlining and "dumbing down" the game. I see why some aren't happy with it, but to me Civ V feels like there is a great game "under the hood".

In some ways, Civ V feels like any other Civ game, but in other ways it feels like a huge change. That's pretty much what new versions of games are supposed to do.

I feel Civ 4 was one of the greatest games of all time, but it is time to move on to something different. I installed Civ 5 off Steam and yet somehow my Civ 4 game didn't break! It is still there for anyone who wants it.

I would imagine more than a few people would want Civ 4 with a graphics upgrade and some tweaks, but personally I'm glad we got a "new" game.

This. Civ V should have stood on the shoulders of Civ IV BtS, not of Civ IV vanilla.

don't you think it's unlrealistic to compare a newly released game to a game that was patched, modded, and given 2 expansions, the second one being about as big as a new game?

No, you are not the only one. I student teach kindergarten, and I had to be up very early for a big meeting. And it’s near a full moon. Yeah, I stayed up late playing Civ 5 on release day; loved it, and paying for it now… Kids were running rampant, long day, and when I got home? Continued trying to conquer the world with Washington.

I feel like there is quite a bit of depth to this game, and hope people give it a shot.

Top Bottom