Is console gaming dying?

I think consoles are evolving into home theater type systems. You won't need to buy dvd players or the like because a single piece of hardware will be able to handle all of that. Things like Netflix, twitter, facebook and such on consoles these days are proof of the evolution of the "console" into a more a multimedia system that's main focus will probably still be games, but will also replace a lot of other electronics and hardware.

I can also imagine home PC's evolving into the same niche. A computer that will function similarly to what PC's do now, but also allow multimedia streaming to the rest of a residence/house. (PC's can do this already, but I imagine it being much more common and one of the default features/capabilities of future PC's)

If nothing else, I think consoles and PC's are coming closer together to fill similar niches. We might not see a total fusion of these two devices, but there will definitely be lots of overlap in the coming years.

Console dying ?

Simply put : too good to be true. If anything, console gaming is on the rise.

Too good to be true? Sure, when you think of PC gaming declining in favor of console gaming, yeah I can see the cynicism. But if the alternative to consoles on the rise is cellphone games on the rise, then you may not want consoles to die.

Although I always wondered why people said PC games were dying back then. But perhaps they were dying back then, it just takes 30 years to completely die.

I really think PC gaming will go away before consoles do, much to my dismay. Very few games are made PC only these days. Civ5 is an example of a PC only game, but not a very good example. They ruined that game pretty good. I believe Facebook games and iphone games have more chance of killing PC gaming rather than console gaming.
Paradox interactive disagrees. They are a PC only company that has grown 1000% the last 10 years.

Paradox interactive disagrees. They are a PC only company that has grown 1000% the last 10 years.
Did I ever tell you how much I love Paradox?

But really, as much as I wish consoles would die, they are not going anywhere anytime soon.

Too good to be true? Sure, when you think of PC gaming declining in favor of console gaming, yeah I can see the cynicism. But if the alternative to consoles on the rise is cellphone games on the rise, then you may not want consoles to die.
Console and PC are quite closely related. As such, consoles spoil, water and dumb down PC game because developpers can easily go from one to another.
Cellphones are at least different enough from PC that a developper must clearly chose between them.
In the end, with this scenario, maybe we'd have less developpers for PC, but at least these would be REAL PC games, and not crappy pile of garbage for the console crowd.

Did I ever tell you how much I love Paradox?

But really, as much as I wish consoles would die, they are not going anywhere anytime soon.

other way round , Pcs wont be needed anymore in near future I prophecy

PS4 will rule before any Microsoft crapp
Sony forever~~~
together with Sega outrunning Nintendooo

Or they'll stop making the games full stop, which is the more likely option.
No, they wouldn't dream of that. Madden is a major market. I doubt that they would decide to cut all money making possibilities just so they can say that they only wanted the games on consoles.

I know the PC Gaming Master Race is splooging themselves over this thought, but I severely doubt it.

The death of Guitar Hero and Rock Band is good enough for me though, the first strike against shameless sequelization :D You're next Madden.

Eh, you think journalists actually know what they're talking about?

For research, I read a book by a journalist and in one chapter he talks about games. Dude doesn't know jack. He cites Blizzard's website for claims that Blizzard's website would never make (like how Blizzard didn't want so many people playing Orcs or the Scourge because they made them obviously evil). He made those claims himself on very thin grounds (based, for example, on the fact that the Scourge are obviously evil - but so what?). It's like a badly written Wiki article. What a joke.

Journalists are almost always hacks.

What Aelf said.

Consoles, smartphones, and PCs cater to three different crowds and unless a smartphone can play Call of Duty XVI with NEW-REAL 4D VIRTUAL REALITY (tm), I highly doubt consoles are on the way out. Likewise, PCs being replaced by consoles is like saying your scientific calculator is going to replace your last-generation cell phone. Stupid sounding analogy? Because it's a stupid-sounding thing to say in general.

Likewise, Madden wouldn't "come back home". It doesn't need to because most players who play those kinds of games do it on a console and I say this with absolutely no evidence to back up my statement. :)

Personally I know that I prefer to play sports games on a console, rather than a pc. It just feels better for some reason.

Personally I know that I prefer to play sports games on a console, rather than a pc. It just feels better for some reason.

I can't even play sports on a console! According to gaming, it's easier to be a soldier on the front line of Generic War #3 than it is to play football. Then again, maybe it's because I seriously do not get the control layouts. :lol:

I can't even play sports on a console! According to gaming, it's easier to be a soldier on the front line of Generic War #3 than it is to play football. Then again, maybe it's because I seriously do not get the control layouts. :lol:
I've never played a game on a console, but I would imagine that for me, I could easily play a sports game on a console, and a war game on PC. I would never dream of trading my mouse and keyboard for bucket of buttons.

No, they wouldn't dream of that. Madden is a major market. I doubt that they would decide to cut all money making possibilities just so they can say that they only wanted the games on consoles.

If console gaming died, Madden wouldn't be profitable, so they would stop making it. They would not make it for PC instead, especially since they already seem to have decided it's not worth making it for PC.

Top Bottom