Is console gaming dying?

Although I always wondered why people said PC games were dying back then. But perhaps they were dying back then, it just takes 30 years to completely die.

I really think PC gaming will go away before consoles do, much to my dismay. Very few games are made PC only these days. Civ5 is an example of a PC only game, but not a very good example. They ruined that game pretty good. I believe Facebook games and iphone games have more chance of killing PC gaming rather than console gaming.

Although I always wondered why people said PC games were dying back then. But perhaps they were dying back then, it just takes 30 years to completely die.

At that rate then we are all dying from birth, which isn't really cable newsworthy.

I do have a controller... But I sort of need two types; one that has the left side joystick on the XBOX360 location (fits 3rd person action game like Psychonauts better, or Magicka style game...), and one that has a D-pad on the left side (Playstation style; the left joystick is too far for me to actually use it much.. Necessary to me for emulator games)
http://www.cyborggaming.com/prod/cyborgpad.htm

This is the controller I use. It's an Xbox 360 style pad that is recognized by both the computer and the Xbox 360 as one, but it lets you switch the positions of the left analogue stick and the D pad.

Games like Crysis 2 probably aren't quite the same in 3.5 inch smartphone display than in 50" tv.

Angry Birds also appeals to a much larger audience of all ages, as mentioned is cheaper, available on numerous platforms that many, many more people have. I honestly wish I had learned some programming and copied someone else's flash game made my own game for the mobile platforms

Yeah, messed up with inches and centimetres. Fixed it. :crazyeye:

Only 50 inches? What are you, a pauper? Nothing less than 52" shall suffice for the glory of Gaming! :lol:

Apparently I massively underestimated black ops's day 1 sales it was 7 million according to our lovely Wikipedia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Call_of_duty_black_ops

Within 24 hours of going on sale, the game sold more than 7 million copies, 5.6 million in the U.S. and 1.4 million in the UK, breaking the record set by its predecessor Modern Warfare 2 by some 2.5 million copies.[12][13] A subtitled version was released in Japan on November 18, 2010. A Japanese-dubbed version was released on December 16, 2010. After six weeks on release, Activision reported Black Ops has reached $1 Billion in sales.[14]

What a ******ed article! Who actually reads this drivel and buys into it?

Fox interviews one guy who plays a lot of dumb iPhone games (lots of deep narrative and complex interaction there, I'm sure) instead of a console, and that's the basis for a prediction that "the end is near" for consoles?? I'm surprised this even merited a thread to discuss... what? That the article is completely unfounded? That Fox News apparently just phoned in a column from the year 1995?

Consoles have successfully become integrated into most home media centers. They already do far more than just run "games from store-bought discs," they play digital content from a variety of sources, they provide conduits to all kinds of streaming media from services like NetFlix or Hulu, even integrate with social media like Facebook and Twitter. And this is all without even touching on the benefits to software developers creating entertainment products for consoles instead of PCs.

Sounds like this article is about 10 years behind the times. Will the next generation of consoles be exactly the same as this generation? Uh, no, obviously not... but again, what's noteworthy about that lackluster prediction?

Console dying ?

Simply put : too good to be true. If anything, console gaming is on the rise.

Top Bottom