Is Islam The Problem?

Funky

Emperor
Moderator Action: Note: This was split off from the Black Lives Matter thread, which was veering off topic for too long.

The mental gymnastics some people here go through in order to deny there we have any problem with Islam is really flabbergasting. On the last page we've seen all the usual excuses, which of course have all been refuted time and time again. But the SJWs don't get tired of using them.

We've had:

- Question the validity of the the sources. On the site I gave, every single number given is linked to the original poll. These are for the most part big studies from Pew and other reputable research centers. But the well-known attitude of the justice fighters is to ignore or belittle facts which don't fit into their agenda.

- Bring up the strawman "all Muslims". As if the argument was that "all Muslims" were behaving in dispicable ways. That nobody has ever said, ever. I wonder when this one is going away...

- Bring up Christianity (and Judaism). This is the most ridiculous defense I have ever come across and yet it is a frequent guest and is argued with vigour. The first thing to note is that even if Christians were behaving exactly as bad or worse than Muslims it wouldn't effect the arguments against Islam in the slightest. Two wrongs don't make a right.
But of course the comparison is entirely absurd anyway. I'll take this post as an example:
Formaldehyde said:
What do you think Christian and Jewish religious fanatics are doing bombing abortion clinics, murdering abortion doctors, bombing the Olympics, harassing and murdering Muslims in the occupied territories, and even persecuting Christians and Muslims in Israel itself?
Yeah, the abortion bombing. This every day problem, causing hundreds of doctors and thousands of women to hide and live in fear... Wait, in the history of the US there have been eight deaths related to anti-abortion violence, and only one since 2000? Every month there are hundreds if not thousands of deaths due to Islamic terror. I guess that makes both equal then.
Bombing the Olympics. Sounds extreme doesn't it? That was when? 1996? One person died? Moving on...

Harrassing and murdering Muslims... And here it gets downright silly. Christians are harrassed, persecuted and murdered throughout the Muslim world, have in most cases been forced to leave their country or live in constant fear as a Dhimmi. Not to speak of the Jews. The Koran specifically tells Muslims how to treat other religions. It's not very pleasant. And we see them for the most part abiding by their book. If you really believe what you wrote, do a google search for "Persecution of Christians in the Muslim world". Then show me anything that is even remotely on the same scale in the other direction.

Go through the lists of terror attacks on Wikipedia. Go back through the list and count the numbers of deaths caused by Muslim terror until you come to an instance of Christian terror. You might have to go back a while though. And better use a calculator to add up those 6-digit numbers.

- Downplay or distort the role of specfic doctrines. We criticize the doctrines of Islam because hundreds of millions of Muslims behave in accordance to the Koran and the Hadiths. If they didn't, if they were living peacefully in secular societies where sharia and jihad had no place, there wouldn't be much need to talk about their holy book. In comparison, Christians and Jews tend not to live by their books at all really, even the literalists. And where they do, they get called out for it and are publicly shamed (or jailed).

But the tenets of Islam are not just abided by, they constitute a fascist ideology of violence and death. It is not a coincedence that many Islamic thinkers whose thoughts are highly influential until today, like Maududi, Qutb or Chomeini, perceived German and Italian fascism to be grandiose ideas, or that "Mein Kampf" is a best-seller in most Islamic countries. Why Erdogan, "moderate" Turkey's prime minister, says "Mosques are our barracks, minarets our bayonets, domes our helmets, the believers our soldiers." The war against everything "unislamic" is a central part of the religion. It is no coincedence that terrorism is almost entirely done by Muslims.

Formaldehyde said:
That is why it is so critical to remember that Islam specifically forbids killing civilians.
It is always shocking to see someone argue so passionately who doesn't have the slightest clue of what he is talking about. Read the Koran. Hell, do any kind of basic research on the matter. This is not hard. Start here if you like. Start anywhere. It shouldn't take you long to get the gist of the Koran. The information is all there. Till then, do yourself a favour and stop making yourself look foolish by posting things that are opposite to reality.

- There's nothing we can do anyway. The facts don't change anything.
Illram said:
So Muslims are mostly crazy (...). Let's assume all of that is true. What's the solution? Does it change the analysis of other problems in a significant way?
This is actually a somewhat interesting point which we stumble over occasionally. The idea is that we can only change ourselves but not others. If we are to blame for something, we just have to alter or correct our behaviour, but if it isn't our fault there is nothing we can do. I believe that this fear of becoming powerless by blaming external sources is a strong driver for SJWs blaming ourselves.

However, the premise is flawed. First, it should go without saying that the analysis of a problem and finding a solution to it depends entirely on the diagnosis. If we blame the wrong things, our solutions will not be effective. If we blame the West for problems inherent to Islam, we will never solve these problems. I am certain that a good diagnosis will eventually result in the best solution. If we recognize and talk openly about Islam having a political element to it which is detrimental to society and which must be eliminated, we can apply conversational pressure to those who speak of a benign "religion of peace". We can start supporting those Muslims who have acknowledged the problem. There is evidence that there are large numbers of people in the Muslim world who disagree with the mainstream of Islamic orthodoxy, yet remain silent for fear of their lives and their families. We hear about fatwas for and killings of blasphemers rather often. About the recent blogger from Pakistan who was hacked to death. There is light at the end of the tunnel.

But these people won't make it alone. This is a civilizational problem of global scale and can only be solved in a concerted effort by us all. It is all the more unfortunate that here, in the West, where freedom of speech exists and where it would be comparably safe to form opposition to the current guise of Islam, people are burying their head in the sand and denying that there is a problem in the first place. Potential Muslim reformers in Europe and America as well as their Western supporters are being marginalized and silenced; not only by other Muslims but oftentimes by the left. This is as backwards as it is outrageous, and those doing it are accomplices of those in favour of cruelty and oppression. If we can't help reform Islam from here, where we have civil rights and mustn't live in constant fear, how should we expect the people to do it who live in theocracies under sharia law?

You accused me of making sweeping generalizations, where are they? :scan:

You said "Islam specifically prohibits the killing of civilians" and I mentioned "Islam's treatment of civilians" in reference to apostasy and blasphemy and now you're telling me "Islam" doesn't really treat civilians because Muslims dont all agree. They dont all agree about not killing civilians either or even how to identify them - seems like open season on civilians lately.

Islam is a religion with dos and donts and among the donts is dont leave the religion and dont blaspheme it. If you leave the religion you risk being treated a certain way based on what "Islam" says. If its the law of the land, you may killed.
Did you even read what I just posted? I know we have been talking past each other lately, but this is getting ridiculous. I just made an honest effort to not do so and it still happens.

And Formy's response will be an example of
D. ... America is just as bad as everywhere else ... So you should be criticizing America and American stuff, not other countries/cultures ....
What utter nonsense. I didn't state or insinuate anything of the sort. This is just a paraphrase of "if you criticize the American government you are anti-American". No wonder I don't typically respond to your posts anymore.

And for the record, this is too:

2. The police treat everyone (who isn't rich and/or famous) like crap.
If your basic assumption doesn't make any sense at all, your conclusions are just so much wasted typing.

The mental gymnastics some people here go through in order to deny there we have any problem with Islam is really flabbergasting.
My, what a nice strawman. Islam even as practiced today by reasonable people obviously has its share of real problems, just like any other Abrahamic faith. But the incessant Islamophobic ranting by many authoritarian conservatives, esepcially since 9/11, isn't credible in the least.

Question the validity of the the sources. On the site I gave, every single number given is linked to the original poll. These are for the most part big studies from Pew and other reputable research centers.
You actually think that "source" has any validity at all after I completely debunked the very first "statistic" with its own actual "source" as claimed on the website?

But the well-known attitude of the justice fighters is to ignore or belittle facts which don't fit into their agenda.
I take it you don't see the irony and hypocrisy in that statement.

"Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, but they are not entitled to their own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan

The Bible says that people should be stoned to death for adultery, rebelling against your parents, blasphemy, and homosexuality. Where is your criticism? Do you think those who no longer do so are bad Jews or Christians?

Such extreme punishments are now only performed in the more backward regions due to Sharia law. While you can certainly argue that it is barbaric for them to still be done anywhere, it isn't like they are all that widespread. That it still remains a major tenet of Islam.
Of you are an expert of ancient Middle East culture, so you know the consequences of such action that were proscribed the death penalty had on societies?
You mean like how Christians continue to bomb abortion clinics and even murder doctors? How Christian terrorism is still a pervasive threat in the US, just as Jewish terrorism is still all too prevalent in the occupied territories?

Continue to bomb? I am sure you could count on one hand the number of bombings of abortion clinics. Yet every one of the bombings has been criticised by Christians every where, yet you don't see that happening when Muslims blow up people. But your idea of terrorism is a very flimsy one.

My, what a nice strawman. Islam even as practiced today by reasonable people obviously has its share of real problems, just like any other Abrahamic faith.
No, these problems are not on the same scale as any other religion. No other religion comes even close in regard to terror attacks, suppression of women, killing homosexuals, killing blasphemers and apostates, honour killings, female genital mutilation, hatred of unbelievers, or even comparably minor things like the barbaric treatment of animals. Why is this so hard for you?

Formaldehyde said:
But the incessant Islamophobic ranting by many authoritarian conservatives, esepcially since 9/11, isn't credible in the least.
Given its nature, Islam should be criticized harshly. This is the right thing to do, not least for the sake of hundreds of millions of Muslims, especially Muslim women and children, who are suffering every day under its influence. Criticism being harsh doesn't mean the arguments made aren't well thought-out and based on facts. I have asked you before to show me a single argument by Geert Wilders or Robert Spencer which is not founded on evidence or which could be perceived as criticizing Muslims as people. I have still received none.

Formaldehyde said:
You actually think that "source" has any validity at all after I completely debunked the very first "statistic" with its own actual "source" as claimed on the website?
You "debunked" the fact that a majority of Palestinians support terror by showing that they adhere to a terrorist organization?

Formaldehyde said:
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, but they are not entitled to their own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Said by someone who never deals with the facts presented, or distorts them to the point of being plain dishonest.

Listen, I don't expect to convince you in this forum. But please, have an open mind and do some research. Have an honest look at what ideology is currently causing the most problems in the world. This is not an ambivalent matter. It is your mental blockade of not wanting to criticize "the other" which is keeping you from acknowledging the truth. Applied in measure, this is a good attitude to have. But in this case it is holding you back from seeing the world the way it is.
And I apologize for psychologizing, but after having this discussion in various threads with you and seeing fact after fact, which I and others have presented you, being ignored or disingenuously distorted, I really don't know what else to do.

EDIT:
@Sommerswerd:
Good observation. While the two issues are obviously very different, the style of argumentation by denial (ignoring the facts in favour of labelling others as rascists, "islamophobes" etc) is very similar. And in both cases it does nothing to solve the problem.

Just on this one issue:

FGM is found mostly within and adjacent to Muslim communities in Central-North Africa, but it is not required by Islam or practiced in most Muslim countries, and prevalence rates vary according to ethnicity, not religion.[9] There is no
reference to it in the Qur'an.[10] Amnesty International notes that the practice has nevertheless "acquired a religious dimension"; according to UNICEF there is a widespread
view, particularly in Mali, Eritrea, Mauritania, Guinea and Egypt, that it is a religious requirement.[11] Medical anthropologist Carla Obermeyer writes:]

Regarding religious differences, it is now generally recognized that even though a number of the countries where female genital surgeries are found are predominantly Muslim. In CDI [Côte d'Ivoire], the prevalence is 80 percent among Muslims, 40 percent among those with no religion and 15 percent among Protestants, and in Sudan the prevalence is highest among Muslim women ... In Kenya, by contrast, prevalence is highest among Catholics and Protestants compared with other religious groups ... Thus, there is no unequivocal link between religion and prevalence. - Carla Obermeyer, 1999.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religious_views_on_female_genital_mutilation

In brief: it's complicated. But to say, or imply, that FGM is an Islamic practice is highly misleading.

In brief: it's complicated. But to say, or imply, that FGM is an Islamic practice is highly misleading.
No, it isn't. Carla Obermeyer is mistaken when she says FGM is not an Islamic practise. While it indeed predates Islam and does not appear in the Koran, it is advised in several Hadiths, and has been part of the tradition of different schools of law. Nowhere else is FGM so widely condoned as in the Islamic world.

I'm now getting SingleMuslim dating google ads. Seriously, if this is turning into a smear thread about Islam how about titling it appropriately so someone interested in that might see it?

Moderator Action: Here is the new thread for debating the issue of Islam and terrorism etc. If you would like me to move more posts here let me know but I think the post chosen as the OP summarizes where we were at in the last thread mostly, at least sufficient for more discussion. Also let me know if you want the thread title changed, I will give that honor to Funky as it's his post starting it.

IMO all religion is a problem, but its just that extremists of this particular one are the ones currently blowing things up.

IMO, it's not religion that's the problem. It's people who think they've "got religion", and people who think that they can persuade other people to do things because of religion. They're the problem.

Or maybe it's not religion in general that's the problem. Maybe it's the wrong kind of religion. I think religion is pretty much inescapable one way or another. (Yes, I'm looking at you: you madcap fundamentalist secularists.)

To answer the thread title: no, and it's impressive how a handful of neocons can fool a bunch of people by just tacking on "I'm an atheist!" at the end.

I'm an anti theist.

Erm, no.

Is Islam The Problem?
Which kind of Islam? If you tell me there's only one kind, then there's no point discussing this with you.

I find it hilarious that people seem to know what I believe more than I do. Well, I surrender. Islam (Sunni, Shia and all the other sects) if left unchecked will leave behind fiery swathes of destruction and barbaric backwards practices in its wake. Nevermind the fact that women's rights are advancing at a considerable pace, nevermind that the biggest problems result from where Muslim countries are technologically and socially, and that mainstream Islam in those countries isn't that far off from mainstream Christianity.

In Uganda, a Christian country, being gay means a jail sentence. In Saudi Arabia being gay means a jail sentence. Not that different. I know that people want to compare Third World Muslim countries to First World Christian countries, but that is an apple to orange comparison.

I am not one of those people that will say, leave Islam alone. However, the idea that there is something exceptional about Islam something hardwired into the religion that makes its followers dangerous and evil is something I take offense to.

Top Bottom