Is strategic resources random?

Robert Smith

Prince
About strategic resources. how many units 1 horse or 1 iron supports?

I have seen 2-8, is the number random or is depending on settings?
If random will Russia still get double quantities of iron, horse, and uranium.

One unit requires one resource (swords and catapults both require 1 iron each). The amount of a resource does vary and seems to be random to an extent. If you over your mouse over a horse or iron deposit it will tell you how many that resource provides. The iron deposits I've seen usually supply 2 or 6 iron and those sources would support 2 and 6 iron requiring units respectively. I've never really paid much attention to horse deposits because I always have more horses than I know what to do with.

One unit requires one resource (swords and catapults both require 1 iron each). The amount of a resource does vary and seems to be random to an extent. If you over your mouse over a horse or iron deposit it will tell you how many that resource provides. The iron deposits I've seen usually supply 2 or 6 iron and those sources would support 2 and 6 iron requiring units respectively. I've never really paid much attention to horse deposits because I always have more horses than I know what to do with.

What you do with them is trade them to every AI you know - even the ones you plan on going to war with. Assuming they actually use your traded resource to make horse units the deal will be broken when you/they declare and the units will have a huge penalty.

Free money and crippled units - win = win

What you do with them is trade them to every AI you know - even the ones you plan on going to war with. Assuming they actually use your traded resource to make horse units the deal will be broken when you/they declare and the units will have a huge penalty.

Free money and crippled units - win = win

That's assuming they don't have the resource domestically or they actually use the resource you sell them. If they just have it as surplus than all you did was deny you access to your own resource for a while.

The amount of a resource does vary and seems to be random to an extent. If you over your mouse over a horse or iron deposit it will tell you how many that resource provides. The iron deposits I've seen usually supply 2 or 6 iron
Thy, I didn't know about the mouse over feature. But this is of course important. Usually I have one (or two) settler ready when Iron comes available. To use mouse over for information about number of Legion and/or Ballista I can build from 2:nd (and 3rd) city is important for a early victory with Rome.

That's assuming they don't have the resource domestically or they actually use the resource you sell them. If they just have it as surplus than all you did was deny you access to your own resource for a while.

The point is sometimes you have a crap ton of extra horses. If this is the case you can shop the AIs for a good price. Just go into the trade screen and put 5 horses up and ask what they will give for them. Some won't be interested in the slightest and not offer anything. Others will throw a bunch of stuff on the board which you can wipe away and ask for more gold.

I can usually get 225-250 for 5 horses (Emp, Standard)

In my current game I decided to try abundant resources setting. This increases the amount you get from some nodes. I see iron nodes with 9 iron. I have so many horses and iron, it's silly...90+ iron, and I think around 60 horses.

One of my last games blew me away when I finished researching Animal Husbandry and discovered FOUR horse spots within two tiles of my capital. Now why can't I ever get that with a resource I actually use?

In my current game I was left without any coal and had to get it from an allied city state to make factories.

If my alliance lapses and I lose the coal, what happens to my factories? Do they become 1/2 as productive, or do they stop working entirely?

EDIT: Well I kept playing and figured it out. As long as you finish the building prior to losing the resource, there doesn't seem to be any impact on production. This went for both factories (coal) and hydro plants (aluminum). Units still suffered the loss of resource penalty modifier.

Top Bottom