Is there a way to spread the resources out more evenly?

Question

King
Balanced ensures that each civ gets all the strategical resources it needs right? Im just looking for a resource generator that isnt so blatantly broken.

For the past five games, ive had resources placed all in one clump. Same resources to boot. Meanwhile last game i expanded to six cities and the only iron resources i could find on my side of the continent was firmly in the carthage starting point(who had war elephants...). Meanwhile i had SIX clams and FOUR dyes....and of course the AI is a . .. .. .. .. . and is apparently hardcoded to not trade you iron even when their status with you is "pleased" and they are on the other side of the continent and any units you make will be attacking their rivals...

Oh and you gotta love this pic. Look at all the furs.

Attachments

• civ4 wtf.jpg
    civ4 wtf.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 394
Closest you can get without downloading a new map script is going to Custom Game and then setting the resources for the map you want to play as balanced. There are also some map scripts you can download that attempt to make things more balanced though.

I agree with Soduka. If resources were nicely balanced, trading would be broken. Although I think it would be fair to say some "clumps" of resources are more equal than others.

oh these communist mentalities... ;

Life isn't fair. And Civ4 reflects that. Grow up.

Just to clarify, I myself never change the resources when I play, I was just attempting to help the OP better enjoy their game of Civ in the format that they wish to play it in.

I cant even get the AI to trade most of the time. Multiple resources in excess with attitudes of pleased/friendly and its redded out.

oh these communist mentalities... ;

Life isn't fair. And Civ4 reflects that. Grow up.

This misses the point... yes life isn't fair, but we are talking about a computer game with an explicit option to distribute resources fairly... of course, the default behavior is unfair resources.

If said option does bizarre things when you expect it to distribute vital strategic resources fairly, I think it's reasonable to suspect that the game behavior could be broken.

This misses the point... yes life isn't fair, but we are talking about a computer game with an explicit option to distribute resources fairly... of course, the default behavior is unfair resources.

If said option does bizarre things when you expect it to distribute vital strategic resources fairly, I think it's reasonable to suspect that the game behavior could be broken.

I agree, it is a computer game. No point playing on if you can not possibly get any iron or copper. Whether this is fair or not is irrelevant as I would see no point playing on to inevitable doom. It would be of no interest to me to play on when I could start a fresh game.

I cant even get the AI to trade most of the time. Multiple resources in excess with attitudes of pleased/friendly and its redded out.

That could be because the AI already has the resource. Nearby AIs are likely to have access to similar resources to you, when you meet AIs on different continents you will likely find that there are so many trade options that you are short of items to trade.

No point playing on if you can not possibly get any iron or copper. Whether this is fair or not is irrelevant as I would see no point playing on to inevitable doom. It would be of no interest to me to play on when I could start a fresh game.

Wow :eek:

My most memorable game was one where I was playing the Romans and just couldn't get iron for trade and had to go on a major war to get it (without my UU). Maybe you should try playing out a few of these games.

That could be because the AI already has the resource. Nearby AIs are likely to have access to similar resources to you, when you meet AIs on different continents you will likely find that there are so many trade options that you are short of items to trade.

Its completely redded out, right now i have absurdly good relations with the Zulus but all the resources on the left of the trade screen is redded out, and i can see their cities so i know what resoruces they have or do not have.

200+ turns of the entire foreign advisor resource screen saying that none of the AIs will trade away any resource is just boring.

Btw, how do you fight a AI spamming war elephants without pikemen?

As far as I know, Musketmen make mincemeat out of elephants, so tech up to there. Or, go overseas. You don't HAVE to be able to take iron from your closest neighbor. Just defend with enough Drill/CG Longbowmen and you should be able to prevent him from causing too much trouble.

I love searching for Uranium late game. It's so rare mostly, and I like that.

AI will trade anything with you if you are it's bosom buddy - tough part is knowing early on who to smooch with!

As far as I know, Musketmen make mincemeat out of elephants, so tech up to there. Or, go overseas. You don't HAVE to be able to take iron from your closest neighbor. Just defend with enough Drill/CG Longbowmen and you should be able to prevent him from causing too much trouble.

Well the AI sometimes manages to sucide catapaults successfully. And isnt teching up to musketmen pointless? I mean, if you are going to completely skip combat in an era that has your unique unit and is favourable to you, you are skipping a huge part of the differences between each civ(which is already far too simialr to each other).

Its completely redded out, right now i have absurdly good relations with the Zulus but all the resources on the left of the trade screen is redded out, and i can see their cities so i know what resoruces they have or do not have.

Are you using Bhruic's unofficial patch? There's a bug in the 3.13 patch that allows resources a civ already has to appear in the trade screen, though redded out, which is not supposed to happen. This gives the effect that it's impossible to make trades with another civ when in fact it's not. You just need to offer something it actually needs.

Btw, how do you fight a AI spamming war elephants without pikemen?

You hunker down until you get Gunpowder, at which time you don't even need Iron or Copper. Just build lots of Archers/Longbowman for your city defences and wait it out. Maybe the tables will turn later on when you discover Oil in your territory and Carthage doesn't.

I mean, if you are going to completely skip combat in an era that has your unique unit and is favourable to you, you are skipping a huge part of the differences between each civ(which is already far too simialr to each other).

There's no guarentees that you'll always be able to use your UU/UB to it's best advantage, that's part of the risk you take every time you start a new game. You try and make the best of what you're given and if things work out then great. If things go too badly for you then you can always quit and start a new game. There's no rule that says you're going to be able to do well and win everytime. It would be a rather boring game if that were true. And no, civs have far more differences than just their UUs. They have different personalities, different ways of dealing with neighbours etc. To only look at it in terms of the UU is extremely narrow. Those units are actually a very small part of what makes them different from each other.

Closest you can get without downloading a new map script is going to Custom Game and then setting the resources for the map you want to play as balanced. There are also some map scripts you can download that attempt to make things more balanced though.
Communist!! BURRRRRRRN HIM!! :mischief:

I always get fur in giant clumps like that. The giant herd of fur producing something-or-others get torn up by my industry.

Top Bottom