Is there still people playing civ 4?

(...) I can't believe I didn't realize how ugly this game is.

Personally Im not that much into graphics (If they are nice it's great but if they not awesome I don't care). For me the most important factor is the gameplay. I still play games like Master of Magic or Clash of Steel because thay are awesome and original and not because of their graphics ;)

It may just be me, but apart from the quoted bit I'm not getting what you are trying to tell us.

No, it is not just you, I don't understand his point either. Especially the imagination and wonder part.

As far as the graphics go, Civ5 is in a way prettier, from the short demo game I played long ago, but also much softer and fuzzier and that in a way creates a sense of distance that feels like a barrier between me and the game. 5 feels less immediate and carries less impact even though it is more polished, or perhaps because it is more polished.

Nice work Lemon, you know how cranky they get just before nap time.

I first started playing Civ4 in 2008 - 3 yrs after it was released. Played it off and on for about a year but moved on to other games. Got back into it about a month ago and wondered why I stopped playing it.. and needless to say, having two little kids makes finding time to play the game a challenge! plus with a wife too, haha

I first started playing Civ4 in 2008 - 3 yrs after it was released. Played it off and on for about a year but moved on to other games. Got back into it about a month ago and wondered why I stopped playing it.. and needless to say, having two little kids makes finding time to play the game a challenge! plus with a wife too, haha

I find Civ being a really great game with kid/wife because its turnbased.
Its easy to shift attention, and no harm is done while its on "standby".

I think 1/20th of the time my game is open, is actually playing,
14/20th with kid/wife and
5/20th modding.

(usually a normal speed game take weeks for me ;))

I find Civ being a really great game with kid/wife because its turnbased.
Its easy to shift attention, and no harm is done while its on "standby".

I think 1/20th of the time my game is open, is actually playing,

Although I don't have kids this is why I really like turnbased as well. Something is always coming up and you have to leave the game, sometimes for an hour unexpectedly. Besides, I find wives tend to think that, once they come into the room, you should drop everything to talk to them.

Heck, I still play CivIII sometimes. I don't care if the game is older, I care if it's good!

I first started playing Civ4 in 20.....after it was released. Played it off and on for about a year but moved on to other games. Got back into it about a month ago and wondered why I stopped playing it.. and needless to say, having two little kids makes finding time to play the game a challenge! plus with a wife too, haha

substitute in Jan 2012 and otherwise this post fits me perfectly down to the two kids.

First got civ 4 borrowed from a library in summer 2006 but wouldn't work on my 2002 Dell inspiron (black graphics bug) and i then could not run it until after I bought us a new desktop in Xmas 2011.

I want to put a good amount of my free time into becoming a better civ4 player but ut really angers the wife. There should be a support group for them on here...

Anyway I am thinking about upgrading that 2002 laptop and playing some more civ 4. In the meantime I plan to keep active and hope (eg if I am allowed...) to post some of the games online for comment and feedback.

Also, I have never played a SG, but I would really like to join an SG. Keep me in mind if you need a player.

I want to put a good amount of my free time into becoming a better civ4 player but ut really angers the wife. There should be a support group for them on here...

haha :lol: Maybe a subforum called "Civ4wives" aka. "Things to do while Your husband is playing Civ" :lol: With all sorts of useful hints like : Instead of saying - "move Your ass for dinner and stop playing games all the time" say: "Honey do You need more snacks ? , can I make You a coffe ?" :D ;)

haha :lol: Maybe a subforum called "Civ4wives" aka. "Things to do while Your husband is playing Civ" :lol: With all sorts of useful hints

I think I might start this forum

the kicker is I'll only play civ when she is doing her hobbies. I always encourage hers (except those terrible Bravo tv reality shows) but I get criticized for playing a strategy game (where do they get off?!?:confused:)

the kicker is I'll only play civ when she is doing her hobbies. I always encourage hers (except those terrible Bravo tv reality shows) but I get criticized for playing a strategy game (where do they get off?!?:confused:)

Does she like strategy games ? Maybe there's a slim hope on hooking her up on Civ - There is no better thing than a gaming wife ^^ You could do Multiplayer together and it would count as quality time together - forget expensive restaurants, fancy theaters/operas all You need is a LAN connection and You're game ! :D (Wishful thinking on my part I guess heh - but nobody says it's bad to dream right ? ;) )

substitute in Jan 2012 and otherwise this post fits me perfectly down to the two kids.

First got civ 4 borrowed from a library in summer 2006 but wouldn't work on my 2002 Dell inspiron (black graphics bug) and i then could not run it until after I bought us a new desktop in Xmas 2011.

Anyway I am thinking about upgrading that 2002 laptop and playing some more civ 4. In the meantime I plan to keep active and hope (eg if I am allowed...) to post some of the games online for comment and feedback.

Also, I have never played a SG, but I would really like to join an SG. Keep me in mind if you need a player.

I think CivAnonymous is still going strong. Let me see if I can find the links :mischief:

That's the neat thing about having 4 boys who are all Civvers. I can realistically explain to the wife that I'm spending dad QT with them. She just rolls her eyes and states she's going to her friends for a while. Which is of course a good reason to order pizza.

That's the neat thing about having 4 boys who are all Civvers. I can realistically explain to the wife that I'm spending dad QT with them. She just rolls her eyes and states she's going to her friends for a while. Which is of course a good reason to order pizza.

Order pizza ?! I thought You were an avid multitask hero with the ability to make dinner while playing Civ hehe :) ;) But I gues "a man's got to do what a man's got to do" ;) (if it means ordering pizza for the sake of saving the world from Monty ! ^^)

Edit :

http://www.civanon.org/home.shtml :mischief: :lol:

edit 2: watch out with that pizza guy ! ^^

" In many cases, particularly for those gamers who take in excess of 80-90 turns at a single sitting, a false reality will set in. Addicts find it impossible to separate their game life from “real” life, often confusing mundane, everyday occurrences (such as the honking of a car horn) as overt acts of political aggression. A hardcore gamer in Allentown, PA, for example, is now doing 6-months to 2-years for misdemeanor assault for bludgeoning the pizza delivery guy from Carmine’s with his mouse, mistaking him for the vanguard assault scout of an invading Saxon army. "

Order pizza ?! I thought You were an avid multitask hero with the ability to make dinner while playing Civ hehe :) ;) But I gues "a man's got to do what a man's got to do" ;) (if it means ordering pizza for the sake of saving the world from Monty ! ^^)

Edit :

http://www.civanon.org/home.shtml :mischief: :lol:

edit 2: watch out with that pizza guy ! ^^

" In many cases, particularly for those gamers who take in excess of 80-90 turns at a single sitting, a false reality will set in. Addicts find it impossible to separate their game life from “real” life, often confusing mundane, everyday occurrences (such as the honking of a car horn) as overt acts of political aggression. A hardcore gamer in Allentown, PA, for example, is now doing 6-months to 2-years for misdemeanor assault for bludgeoning the pizza delivery guy from Carmine’s with his mouse, mistaking him for the vanguard assault scout of an invading Saxon army. "

Lol, I only do that when the wife is around. But on those rare occasions when the kids and I "can just be guys", we usually celebrate with pizza, root beer floats, and other snacks that are supposed to "take in moderation". It's our own little celebration for MOM not being around and in charge :)

As for saving the world from Monty... Unfortunately my 13yr loves playing Monty. Fortunately, we all hate Sitting Bum and Catty, so we can at least cooperate long enough to take them out. Which usually takes a long time as I play Inca, and the 3 oldest like to stay in the Far Eastern civs area.

Nice work Lemon, you know how cranky they get just before nap time.
A glass of warm milk, a cookie, a shot of Haldol, a nap... Just what the Doctor ordered. ;)

This quote pretty much describes me as well, except the year was 2010. My father in law bought Civ IV Gold for me for my birthday a month before #2 was born. My wife will never forgive him! :lol:

dmd175 said:
AdamCrock said:
haha :lol: Maybe a subforum called "Civ4wives" aka. "Things to do while Your husband is playing Civ" :lol: With all sorts of useful hints like : Instead of saying - "move Your ass for dinner and stop playing games all the time" say: "Honey do You need more snacks ? , can I make You a coffe ?" :D ;)

QFT

Does it help against piracy? (which I guess is the reason for having it)
No. I honestly dont think it does.

No it doesn't, not at all. There was a pirate version of Civ 5 within days of it's release that bypassed the Steam activation. Same with Fallout: New Vegas. Online activation is not about taking action against piracy, it's to prevent people from getting their hands on a used copy that a friend or relative has gotten tired of playing. It's the second hand market the game companies are trying to stamp out, not the pirates.

Unfortunately, if you want to play computer games these days, you pretty much have to accept this sort of nonsense. Looking around at some of the new titles in my local computer game shops, I see that pretty much every one of them these days requires it. Hell, a short while ago I was thinking about getting this compilation pack with all of the early Command & Conquer games on it, and I would have been required to activate it online even though some of the titles were over 20 years old.

Does she like strategy games ? Maybe there's a slim hope on hooking her up on Civ

I've tried...to appeal to her intelligence and desire to learn more about history. No go.

So we're all home this morning, kids asleep
Wife: [sullenly] "You're on the computer already" [checking my busted brackets mind you]
Kid #1: After a few minutes out of nowhere, "Daddy, are you strong enough yet to get Acheron?" (the main dragon/barbarian from FFH2 mod).

My chances of catching up with the NC or SOM games is pretty poor:(

I think I might get a new laptop; I don't need it for crazy intense games just Civ 4+mods and maybe someday I'll buy Civ 5. Any particular good ideas for <1000$?

I've tried...to appeal to her intelligence and desire to learn more about history. No go.

So we're all home this morning, kids asleep
Wife: [sullenly] "You're on the computer already" [checking my busted brackets mind you]
Kid #1: After a few minutes out of nowhere, "Daddy, are you strong enough yet to get Acheron?" (the main dragon/barbarian from FFH2 mod).

My chances of catching up with the NC or SOM games is pretty poor:(

I think I might get a new laptop; I don't need it for crazy intense games just Civ 4+mods and maybe someday I'll buy Civ 5. Any particular good ideas for <1000$?

HP makes a nice dual core ( mine cost about $500) that handles BTS perfectly, as well as almost all mods. I run RI mod primarily, and avg about a min or 2 turn time during the ME to IE era. Other mods are absolutely no problem (well, except C2C for some reason). You can check HP's on their web site.

This is not a very friendly community attitude. A lot of Civ veterans enjoy V.

Once in a while I venture into Civ 5 forums, to check if things got better and all. Not much better reception civ 4'ers get there ;) (not to defend Joeys statement)

The funny thing is, if a civ 4'er makes a statement about the poor state civ 5 is in and the terrible AI, he is being jumped by civ 5'ers, who proclaim civ 5 is the best game ever and the AI is competent, and its full of complexity.
However, if you visit another thread, you will see the same person who said how perfect civ 5 is, describing/complaining about gameflaws, lack of AI, wrong game design etc. etc.

Top Bottom