Is this Mod intended to make the game harder?

HatsandLiquid

Chieftain
So I grabbed the Communitas Advanced Gameplay and Communitas AI and tools.

Immediately I noticed a large spike in difficulty. I play Prince normally, and I usually sort of waltz through the games, and I was about to move up anyway. But once I installed the mod, I was suddenly having a very hard time. I would get extremely early DoW's from multiple Civs if I made a slight mistake such as getting jumped by a barbarian and losing a settler. I'm constantly behind in culture, tech, and GPT.

I tried this with two different Civ's, one a mod for the Nazca and the other with Venice.

Immediately I noticed a large spike in difficulty. I play Prince normally, and I usually sort of waltz through the games, and I was about to move up anyway. But once I installed the mod, I was suddenly having a very hard time. I would get extremely early DoW's from multiple Civs if I made a slight mistake such as getting jumped by a barbarian and losing a settler. I'm constantly behind in culture, tech, and GPT.

I tried this with two different Civ's, one a mod for the Nazca and the other with Venice.

I don't know what they did when they updated the mod but I dropped 2 levels and still the bonuses that they have given the AI is just "stupid." Everybody just attacks everyone else and you can't build anything but an army or you fall behind. I didn't think this was a WAR GAME.

I would like to know where to get the old mod back. It wasn't perfect but at least I wouldn't be playing a 3rd person 1st person shooter game.

Thanks.

This is a link to previous releases:

https://github.com/Thalassicus/cep-bnw/releases

I tried this last night with the April release, it still had some features of the recent release, but the game was much easier. (I did have an awesome starting position with Carthage and 4 Crabs plus a marble at Prince level)

Steam is stubborn about deleting mods - it keeps reloading them.

Hope this helps!

The mod is intended to improve the balance across all civilizations as well as level the playing field between human and AI players. A failing of the "vanilla" game is that the AI can't compensate for many choices that we (as humans) might make.

Making gameplay more challenging is not an unintended side effect.

Are you playing on Quick? The mod doesn't seem optimized for Quick play, and from what I've found the AIs are just impossibly difficult with way too much science, expansion, and never-ending rushes.

I just downloaded the mod and started playing on Quick Immortal the other day, figuring it would be about the same as the normal game -- but I kept getting wrecked in the first couple of eras. Switched down to emp, king, and finally prince, and was still getting creamed.

Then I switched to Standard Prince and it was super easy. Built every early game wonder on my first time through. AIs were passive as bunnies.

Anyway, something to try.

Are you playing on Quick? The mod doesn't seem optimized for Quick play, and from what I've found the AIs are just impossibly difficult with way too much science, expansion, and never-ending rushes.

I just downloaded the mod and started playing on Quick Immortal the other day, figuring it would be about the same as the normal game -- but I kept getting wrecked in the first couple of eras. Switched down to emp, king, and finally prince, and was still getting creamed.

Then I switched to Standard Prince and it was super easy. Built every early game wonder on my first time through. AIs were passive as bunnies.

Anyway, something to try.

Well if this is the situation then please tell us what speed and settings this mod is balanced for? please?

This was the only mod I was regularly using and it seemed, PREVIOUSLY, to work on just about all settings. Since it now seems to work on only a few please indicate what it works on.....:)

It's always been acknowledged that this mod makes the game at least one degree of difficulty harder (i.e., Vanilla King = CEP Prince, etc.) See the sticky threads above. One of the best things about this mod is that it ramps up AI bonuses by era, as opposed to a flat line as provided by the vanilla game. That said, some early bonuses are necessary to compensate for the fact the AI, as opposed to a smart human player, will simply make more poor decisions over time. It's more challenging by design - you shouldn't lose an early settler, quite frankly; it should have supporting armies.

Unfortunately this mod is no longer under development, so the compatibility of other mods (Nazca?) is questionable. The writers here are mostly now working on the CBP which should eventually be even better.

At any rate the last version (3.17, available on the Github page) strikes me as extremely playable, and an excellent holdover until CBP is ready to take this mod's place.

At any rate the last version (3.17, available on the Github page) strikes me as extremely playable, and an excellent holdover until CBP is ready to take this mod's place.

What speed and level would you recommend playing at? And should I just start doing war rushes like the AI? I remember years ago that was the criticism of AI's so I guess this progressivism is really a recall of the past?

Top Bottom