Isengard City Unit

mrtn

Shaven not stirred
This is Isengard, the city of Saruman in Lord of the Rings, as a unit, in the same vein as what Ekmek has been doing (and using his unit template, thanks ;)).

You could preplace it on a map, or use it as the Isengard king unit.
The zip only includes the flc and pedia icons, you have to make your own .ini-file, but just copy some other units. ;)
Neither did I make a units_32 pic, as I wouldn't think anyone want to have this unit buildable.

Attachments

• isengard_city_unit.zip
    16.1 KB · Views: 981
Nice, but why not just change the city graphics or something. And what if it got destoyed? It would show the city underneath, that would be kinda anitclimatic don't you think? Looks great though.

BTW: First one to post, yay!!! :)

I think it'd be better to have this as a metropolis for the isengard civ, but hey whatever.

I like it. :thumbsup::thumbsup: I can use this for my mod as some Mage towers with bombardment ability. Maybe for rogue mages, so you have to defeat them and their barbarian armies to move into that region. :mwaha:

Originally posted by mrtn
You have to make sure that the city unit has bigger defense, which Isengard should have, as you need Ents to beat it. :D

Umm well... what if you are playing Isengard and just activate your unit... or if AI just moves a unit out of the city... with barb camps it was ok but with this it may not look good.

Yes, there is a chance it will flicker. But if we go with the Isengard as a one city civ idea, then I think it should be unplayable. A human player would just build lots of warriors and take some early cities, the AI wouldn't play like that.
One other idea is to move the city, place it on an impassable mountain next to Isengard.

And using this unit Isengard can use the human cities, they wont build lots of small Isengards everywhere. There is only one Orthanc, even if Isengard gets lotsa large cities.

Originally posted by mrtn
Yes, there is a chance it will flicker. But if we go with the Isengard as a one city civ idea, then I think it should be unplayable. A human player would just build lots of warriors and take some early cities, the AI wouldn't play like that.
One other idea is to move the city, place it on an impassable mountain next to Isengard.

And using this unit Isengard can use the human cities, they wont build lots of small Isengards everywhere. There is only one Orthanc, even if Isengard gets lotsa large cities.

One city civ idea is only for LotR scen I assume?
The idea to place the city-unit (with offset) on the mountain next to actual city is good, same as for bridges :) Also, it will preserve its graphics even if the city is captured.

Instead of giving the city VERY high defense rates, I see two options here;

1. HP levels are taken into consideration MORE than the defense ratios. I first was going to propose to decrease the defense value of the city and give lots of HP bonus, but instead, I think it's better to give the city a conscript HP value and extremely high (24ish, equal to the attack of a modernized tank) defense.

2. Make it an unloadable army!

Originally posted by Ekmek
mrtn,

in the pic did you post did you place it on a city or did you cut and past a city-name label to give it the city effect as a stand alone unit :hmm:
I made it the Russian King Unit, immobile, and plus two hit points. (I also centered the unit graphic to get it right above the city name label.)
And I deceitfully renamed the Russian capital. ;)

embryodead: One city civ idea is only for LotR scen I assume?
Well, we can argue about that in that thread. ;) But, if you don't want it as a one-city-civ, do you have a city list for it? ;)

SpincruS, how would your second idea work? :hmm:

BTW I've found a good pic of a miniature Minas Tirith.

Originally posted by aaminion00
I think it'd be better to have this as a metropolis for the isengard civ, but hey whatever.

he probably made it a unit because if he changed the city graphics, then every metropolis(within a culture group) would look like Isengaurd, instead of just the capitol.

I like the idea of making it an army unit. Also, I see why the city-graphics idea wouldn't work: then more then one civ would get it, in fact everyone with (just as an example) the european culture group would get one in every city. I would make it an army unit with a high def of its own too, immobile, and extremely high cost. Only availiable to the Orcs of course, also maybe give it bombard or something.

Great job!! You should make a Barad-Dur type city.

Mrtn, I downloaded this and thougth it looked very good, but I didn't like the big base on it. So, through about an hour of cuting and pasting, I took the base off and made a Death flc. It doesn't look very good, but it's quick and get's the point across :D. So I was wondering if I could post it? Thought I sould ask before hand, since you did make the unit and all :). I used MS paint to make it, and I'm new to this unit making stuff so I'm not very good, but I think I've finally figured out the palette.

Course you can post it. :)
But I'm really doubtful about the properties of Paint. Have you tried it in-game?

@Darth Bob: I've looked a bit for graphics, but not found a good enough pic. You know, I don't make it from scratch, I just twist things around.

I'm working on Minas Tirith now:

Attachments

• frilagd_vridenjpg.jpg
    frilagd_vridenjpg.jpg
    6.6 KB · Views: 5,206
Apearently you were right not to have faith in MS Paint. The graphics for the attack animation that I made just freeze for no reason. I think I might just give up on this. It's not working at all, and it took me way too long :(.

EDIT: Here's a preveiw, that is if I ever get it to work :). The gif lost a lot of quality, but you get the idea.

Top Bottom