It Is A Good Day To Kill

a4phantom

Perma-newbie
Are there time periods in the game where you find it advantages to go on the offensive, and times when the fates/mechanics frown upon conquest? I think there must be, because of either military or economic techs, periods that all else being equal are either good or bad for aggression. For example, when the machine gun makes its appearance the defender seems to be highly favored until tanks (as was the brutal case from the American Civil War through WWI). To a lesser degree I'd think riflemen would tip the balance to the defender too, since for the first time the defender is stronger (14) than the only City Raider unit on the scene (Cannon, 12 I think). Grenadiers kill riflemen, but fortified City Garrison Grenadiers should massacre attacking Grenadiers (who can't get City Raider). As a bloodthirsty imperialist, I am usually on the attack anyway, but I would like to synchronize my periods of expansion and consolidation with the game's rhythms, if there are any.

I know this is bizarrely written, I'm sick :crazyeye:

Yes, there are periods where the attacker is on top. These are:

1. Early doors, if you have units that can beat Warriors and Archers (such as the Quetcha or even a swift Axeman or two)

2. When Swordmen hit the deck (especially when accompanied by Catapults)

3. The first introduction of Knights (although this seems to be a narrow window of oppotunity).

4. Cavalry, which are dominant right up until your opponnet gets Rifling. This is potentially the largest window for victory you have if you beeline to them, especially if you have a tech lead.

5. Tanks almost until the end game, although the game is often won or lost by this stage anyway.

The most important "Day to kill" is when you hit rifling (before the AIs do).

Second best is Axerushing.

Then come tanks.

Dunno about the latergame, never got that far...

1. Ancient UU or axeman (okay, you knew that)

2. catapults and anything you got

3. maceman

4. rifling (yes, it's the biggest one if you've got a lead)

5. airships (BtS only)

6. artillery (small one, but its there)

7. tanks (yes, a big one)

8. modern armour (the beat anything by far)

not to mention seafaring: combustion.

Personally, I find the best time to war is when I get Maceman and then when I get to Rifling, especially if you get there first.

Ceratin civs also give you certain oppurtunites. As the Incans, with a close neighbour, you can Quecha rush them. With the Persians, you can strike with your Immortals. Taking advantage of the Praetorian is a given as Rome, and with the Ottomans, you have the oppurtunity to beeline and get Gunpowder first and walk through the AI's medival units.

I know, it's ridiculous, but come ON
Warrior, anyone?
If that fails (60%), then back to the basics...

ancient- sword and horse. Industerial- Rifle/Cav Modern-Paratroops and nukes. These are optimal for swift wars and victory. Medieval is a slogfest lumbering around with stupid siege and horrid units. Any civ with a medieval uu ought to be lowered one notch.

ancient- sword and horse. Industerial- Rifle/Cav Modern-Paratroops and nukes. These are optimal for swift wars and victory. Medieval is a slogfest lumbering around with stupid siege and horrid units. Any civ with a medieval uu ought to be lowered one notch.

Your post makes no sense.

Genv [FP];6875671 said:
Your post makes no sense.

No I kinda see what he's saying. But, i'd say you all are forgetting Bombers.

If your the first one to reach ICBMs, managed well, this is such a disgustingly huge advantage that I could not fathom any reason not to go on the offense.

Everything everest Said too! :)

I like charriots and cavalry rushes best of all.

charriots are cheap as dirt, you can build a huge stack of them and send it on the raid. WW is insufficient in ancient times so you can use a cannon fodder tactics.

at late renaissance i usually become a tech leader (playing monarch level). so it's nice opportunity to beeline cavalry and vassalize/devaste a couple of civs. cavalry is especially good with airships.

Any time you get an advantage in military techs and/or can bring an offensive UU to bear. An advanced attack almost always beats an obsolete defender, especially with siege support.

If you are at equivalent levels, good times to attack IMO are:
When you get catapults out along with swords/axes. Cats allow you to take out any defences (first bombardment+collateral) especially before longbows are common.
When you get tanks/bombers out. They allow swift moving bombardment and city captures.Either alone is powerful, but combined (along with their upgrades) provide the ultimate offensive punch. Paratroopers in BTS only improve this with a fast moving defender.
Nationalism can also provide a great punch, as Drafting is very potent.

If facing coastal cities there are two other keys:
Frigates, even when not having to cross oceans, not a huge offensive advantage, but when you get frigates out, you can start true fast moving attacks (via bombarding and from sea and 1 movement troops moved by galleon), which I find the AI can't take.
Similarly getting carriers out allows this to be taken to the next level.

Best times to go to war:
1. When I get axes
2. When I get capapults
3. When I get macemen
4. When I get riflemen
5. When I get cavalry
6. When I get infantry
7. When I get Artillery
8. When I get Tanks
9. When I get Mech Infantry
10. When I get Modern Armor
11. Whenever I want to.

Especially maces and rifles.

Whenever you get shiny new units before your opponent, it's probably a good day to kill stuff.

I'd like to point out that Steel allows a ridiculously hard beeline which is full of military goodies for the hardcore warmonger. Naturally, you'd trade/extort techs from the pansies who chase peaceful stuff on the way.
I for one haven't seen AI curassiers at a time that would pose a problem.

When i get Maceman it's time for mine first war, Axemans are to weak.

If the enemy has fortified Archers in a walled hill city, Axemen get chewed up, or if you come up against Egypt and War Chariots, forget Axemen.

Cats and Macemen are effective city attackers.

When I have established enough espionage points to help plan my offensive, and once I have enough of a spy sentry net to spot oncoming SoD to properly defend myself. Having my railroad network in place, or at least having enough Workers in place to build a railroad from the military city to somewhere near the oncoming enemy SoD is also key. In my mind, the best offense is a good defense...but then again I don't really play higher levels, so take that as you will...

Yes, there are periods where the attacker is on top. These are:

1. Early doors, if you have units that can beat Warriors and Archers (such as the Quetcha or even a swift Axeman or two)

2. When Swordmen hit the deck (especially when accompanied by Catapults)

3. The first introduction of Knights (although this seems to be a narrow window of oppotunity).

4. Cavalry, which are dominant right up until your opponnet gets Rifling. This is potentially the largest window for victory you have if you beeline to them, especially if you have a tech lead.

5. Tanks almost until the end game, although the game is often won or lost by this stage anyway.

I'd add trebuchets, and to a lesser extent macemen in there as well.

I like charriots and cavalry rushes best of all.

charriots are cheap as dirt, you can build a huge stack of them and send it on the raid. WW is insufficient in ancient times so you can use a cannon fodder tactics.

at late renaissance i usually become a tech leader (playing monarch level). so it's nice opportunity to beeline cavalry and vassalize/devaste a couple of civs. cavalry is especially good with airships.

Chariots = zerglings. With the right kind of map they can be very powerful. Egypt and persia are spectacular for this reason.

Zulu Impi play very similarly.

Top Bottom