It's like I'm running 3.19 without it REALLY being 3.19

Tristan_C

Emperor
I only noticed this once I started to download peoples' saves, and tried to play them. I get the Load Error message: "Cannot load version 302, expected version 301 or lower." My civ build is 3.19.0000. It has been upgraded sequentially to 3.13, then 3.17, and now 3.19. However, in the "About This Build" screen I see what strikes me as weird information.
Civ Version: 317
Save Version: 301
Build Version: 3.1.9.0
Dated: May 14th, 2009
Any game I start runs on 3.19 rules. I tested that out... 3.17 has definitely been patched over. However, I cannot open any 3.19 saves posted on the forums. Lets see... running Windows XP, reinstalled several times to see if I can get anything to change, but not having luck. Out-of-the-box copy of BTS is 3.00, and like I said, I upgraded to 3.13, 3.17, and finally 3.19 sequentially. I really can't think of anything that would inform this discrepancy. Install 3.03 maybe?

Thanks in advance, anyone who can help to explain this.

----

Update: did another full reinstall of civ4, this time loading in the BTS 3.03 patch before installing the newer patches. Didn't solve the problem. I'm going to be putting on a new version of Windows here soon, and reformatting and such, but I don't think this problem is external to civ4, so I doubt if that will have an effect on the game.

I'm getting this too.

My laptop says

Save version 301

My PC says

Save Version 302????

Same install procedure and disk? I can't play anything on my laptop that I started on my PC! Can anyone help?

I've managed to resolve this.

Initially, this is what I did to install it. (I have each game seperately).

Install Civ 4
Install Civ 4: Warlords
Install Civ 4: BTS
Update Civ 4: BTS to 3.19.

I removed all trace of Civilization from the laptop and decided to start again. this was the sequence.

Install Civ 4
Update Civ 4 to latest version
Update Civ 4: Warlords to latest version
Update Civ 4: BTS to 3.17
Update Civ 4: BTS to 3.19

Now I've no idea which steps are neccessary and which are not but doing it this way pushed my Save game version to 302. My guess is one of the updates from either Vanilla Civ 4 or Warlords updates the Save Game Version to 302, yet just installing the final updates for BTS doesn't.

This is still going on for me. Matters have come to a head because I've been saving games with "lock modified assets" ticked, and find that I cannot load my own saves! (Cannot load version 302, expected version 301 or lower)

This was my reinstallation procedure:
Reboot
Uninstall BTS, Warlords, Civ 4
Reboot
Install Civ 4
Update Civ 4 to latest version
Update Civ 4: Warlords to latest version
Update Civ 4: BTS to 3.19​
The resulting build remains as faulty as ever:
Civ Version: 317
Save Version: 301
Build Version: 3.1.9.0
Dated: May 14th, 2009​
Kind of wish I had more company in this horrible problem. It seems unique to my machine. Actually that's a possible starting point, because I've installed the game with more success on my brother's and nephew's machines.

Did you put the new version of Windows on (if so what) or are you still running XP?

If it were Vista or Win 7 I would suggest not installing either the game or patches from the autorun on the CD or just double clicking on the patch but in all cases right clicking on the .exe file and selecting run as administrator.

I'm still running XP for the moment, so I figured things would be alright on that end. I've been reading through threads about the problems with Windows 7, and I've already rolled back to xp from vista anyway.

I've been rebooting during uninstallations to make sure resources stop being in use and it all gets deleted. Compounding that, I'm logged as an administrator,

I am wondering though, if civ leaves a registry presence even if it gets totally uninstalled, and i need to find it.

install the most recent version of DirectX 9c from Microsoft

then do the following for a clean reinstall:

Uninstall and Reinstall Civ4 Warlords BtS :

Try to follow this order when doing stuff:
Use Control panel to uninstall Beyond the Sword, then Warlords, then Civ4
Delete "...\documents and settings\<username>\my documents\my games\sid meier's civilization 4" manually
Delete "...\documents and settings\<username>\my documents\my games\warlords" manually
Delete "...\documents and settings\<username>\my documents\my games\beyond the sword" manually
Delete "...\documents and settings\<username>\application data\my games\sid meier's civilization 4" manually
Delete "...\documents and settings\<username>\application data\my games\warlords" manually
Delete "...\documents and settings\<username>\application data\my games\beyond the sword" manually
Delete "...\documents and settings\<username>\local settings\application data\my games\sid meier's civilization 4" manually
Delete "...\documents and settings\<username>\local settings\application data\my games\warlords" manually
Delete "...\documents and settings\<username>\local settings\application data\my games\beyond the sword" manually
(note: application data is a hidden directory so you need to configure windows explorer to show hidden files, also these directories in application data are sometimes removed by the uninstall routine)
Delete "...\Program Files\InstallShield Installation Information\{CFBCE791-2D53-4FCE-B3FB-D6E01F4112E8}" (Civ4)
Delete "...\Program Files\InstallShield Installation Information\{3E4B349F-10B5-4586-9D99-489A90A8B228}" (Warlords)
Delete "...\Program Files\InstallShield Installation Information\{32E4F0D2-C135-475E-A841-1D59A0D22989}" (BtS)
(note: InstallShield Installation Information is a hidden directory so you need to configure windows explorer to show hidden files).
Install Civ4, immediately patch it to 1.61 (download it fresh from here)
Install Warlords, immediately patch it to 2.08 (download it fresh from here)
Install Beyond the Sword, immediately patch to 3.19 (download it fresh from here).

is what Furiey is referring to: note that the patches for Vanilla and Warlords are not the most recent ones (the BtS installer takes care of those) - if you are still running windows xp that should take care of the install and valid patching - if you run vista or 7 make sure to run every installer and patch with admin rights, i.e. right click on it and choose run as admin - in XP all you need is to install while logged in with an administrator account (usually what people use anyways).

Been reinstalling over-and-over-again all day, and finally, bolstered with your advice, I seem to have stumbled on something that fixed the problem.

Strangely in my case, there was never a "\my games\" folder set in the Application Data. However, the other folders were deleted with success. I ran regedit searches for "firaxis" and "civ" and only came across one harmless-looking thing that I deleted anyway. I updated vanilla and warlords while installing. And finally, I ran the BTS update in-game rather than use the BTS 3.19 patch from the web. Please forgive my reluctance to try doing that until now... it was a big, slow 160 megs that I'd already gotten. Anyway, who can say which of these additional measures finally worked? I'm just glad something finally did... I am now running version 319 and save version 302!

Thanks a lot for your help with the uninstall part! :D

Top Bottom