It's Probably Between Three

Patine

Deity
I have been thinking about my next project, and, though the idea has NOT been abandoned by any sense of the word, my Clash of Faiths scenario would be well-served by a lot of thought and consideration ahead of time on how to approach it - it's not a standard historical scenario; it would need about as different an approach in terms of design as a fantasy or scifi scenario, realistically speaking. So, I think it will stew for a while and may be my next (or a near next) scenario, but fear not, it is being thought about seriously.

For my next one, I want one that conveys the struggle against all odds portrayed in Red Front, Spanish Civil War, and others, but, more akin to SCW, I'm thinking one where the protagonist player historically LOST, to add an element of triumph when (and if) you actually win. I have three main ideas in mind, here.

-My Fall Gelb idea, playing as France, of previously, if the AI can be ramped up in aggression level. It's biggest flaw is, as Curt pointed out for another recently considered scenario, it's yet ANOTHER scenario where the Nazis are the antagonists! Other than that, it might be kind of neat.

-Another previous idea, my Fall of Rome scenario (so far, only McMonkey's potential redoing of AE is slated to take any advantage of that big pile of Roman-era units Fairline made a while ago, though, given the difference in time period between the two scenarios, they would likely use almost entirely different units from those sets). The scenario would be meant to be played as the West Romans and preserve as much of your empire (and perhaps even reclaiming areas lost or conquer frontiers that never were the Roman banner). A lot of innovations in ToTPP since I was last working on it could make it a LOT more workable.

-And, third, a scenario about playing Antonio Maria Lopez de Santa Ana, the self-proclaimed "Napoleon of the West" holding together the country's borders he STARTS his first presidency with, facing four declarations of Independent Republics (Texas, Rio Grande, Yucatan, and California), two other big rebellions that didn't formally declare full republics, in the States of Zacatecas and Tabasco, numerous de facto independent (in their immediate lands) Native American of the Mesoamerican, Aridoamerican, Oasisamerican, Californian, and Great Plains nations raiding both the Mexican and the Rebel/Revolutionary settlements, aggressive Mormon settlers, fleeing the United States' religious persecution and hoping to forge a 'Republic of Desheret' in the turmoil before establishes firm order in the region, and, of course, most challenging of all, defending against the onslaught when Polk and the United State find a causus belli to declare war in hopes of mass annexation.

These currently stand as the three frontrunners at the moment. If anyone has any preferences, ideas, or comments, feel free to post.

I would vote for either the Fall of Rome or the Santa Ana scenarios. Although a Fall Gelb scenario would be interesting and probably easiest to make with the available maps & units there are plenty of WW2 scenarios knocking about. Also, strategy wise, all you would need to do is reverse all of the decisions the French made historically. Concentrate forces north of the Maginot Line, cover the Ardennes gap, mass your armour for powerful counter attacks etc. It would be fun, but it seems like a lot of effort for an outcome we are all very familiar with.

I like the Santa Ana idea as it is something new and unfamiliar to me. However, the change to see all those gorgeous late period Roman units slugging it out on a decent map (like a scaled up Age of Justinian) is a mouth watering prospect. Again the units and map would not be a problem. I have considered such a scenario before and have started some work on it. I would be more than happy to send you the files to see if they are of any use to you,

I'd probably agree on the Fall of Rome one, actually, I had a lot of ideas for hit, but hit some profound mechanical that I believe may well have been lifted since by later versions of ToTPP since I first tried to tackle it. I would like to see what files you have on your start, McMonkey; though I had a pretty firm idea on what I was including, at least unit, improvement, Wonder, and terrain-wise, if you'd be willing to e-mail what you initially had, it might still spark inspiration.

Top Bottom