Japanese units always fight at full strength?!??

Guys, with the amount of culture the French get, they could have had a LOT more unlocked in the Honor or Autocracy tree to make up for what they lack in combat naturally.

Given equality of tech, or even some disadvantage, I think the japanese will steamroll any other player.
Just get all the economic trees and pump out masses of units to suicide on the enemy and it looks unlikely that you'll ever lose a war

Given equality of tech, or even some disadvantage, I think the japanese will steamroll any other player.
Just get all the economic trees and pump out masses of units to suicide on the enemy and it looks unlikely that you'll ever lose a war

Except that you have no economic advantages at all, and so you may well have less territory, worse tech, fewer units/resources or smaller population.

We'll have to see.
They'll be very strong in the medieval age with the samurai, but who knows how they'll do the rest of the time.

And how do they plan to get parity in economic trees if they face against France, for example? Or if they do get economic trees, what's to stop someone from getting Honor and balancing Japan's military advantage? I feel Japan might be the best all around military civ in the game (followed by China, followed by Ottomans, followed by either Songhai or Greece), but I don't think they are without disadvantages.

Oh what the :):):):) ever. I'm sorry but you obviously know nothing about Samurai or the Japanese. Don't start up stupid 'Samurai vs Knight' debates when you haven't got a clue in the first place.

As for the OP, please wait until you actually get a chance to PLAY the game before you start your 'unbalanced', 'overpowered', or 'broken' threads.

Uh the knight is: Taller (reach), stronger, has much stronger equipment (weapons/armor stronger because the iron supply is not crappy Japanese iron). The knight also would be more adaptable in combat (fought many types of opponents while the samurai fough against samurai). If the knight went with great swords he would have a sword 5-6ft long, weighed up to about 6lb. If he went with a one handed sword he would take his trusty wooden shield (could easily block samurai's attacks) have a sword length of 3.5-4ft and weigh up to about 4lb. The armor would be impenetrable from either a katana, wakizashi or yumi.

If you want to debate feel free to reply in a PM

Uh the knight is: Taller (reach), stronger, has much stronger equipment (weapons/armor stronger because the iron supply is not crappy Japanese iron). The knight also would be more adaptable in combat (fought many types of opponents while the samurai fough against samurai). If the knight went with great swords he would have a sword 5-6ft long, weighed up to about 6lb. If he went with a one handed sword he would take his trusty wooden shield (could easily block samurai's attacks) have a sword length of 3.5-4ft and weigh up to about 4lb. The armor would be impenetrable from either a katana, wakizashi or yumi.

It's fun to debate effectiveness of japanese samurai versus the knights of the west, but they are so vividly different styles. Japanese sword smithing versus european? not too far from eachother really, I'd say they are simply different and one can debate wich is better to their heart's content. I love both styles and got a collection of blades from both.

Ah the infamous samurai VS knight debate...

Except that you have no economic advantages at all, and so you may well have less territory, worse tech, fewer units/resources or smaller population.

We'll have to see.
They'll be very strong in the medieval age with the samurai, but who knows how they'll do the rest of the time.

other civs don't really have that much of an advantage..
Nothing you can't completely offset by, say, having one or two more cities than them or luckily landing on better tiles.. regular civ stuff.
Japans bonus actually lends itself to a brutal playstyle over all ages and regardless of starting position, on land on sea or in the air. even if your economy is 1.5 as strong as japans, japan will still kill you because each of its units can be counted as two or even more units offensively (since units don't usually die in one round of combat as we've seen). you simply wont be able to replace units quickly enough to survive.
That is, if the japan player plays intelligently and zerg rushes.

I'm willing to bet that japan will be the most powerful civ of choice in multiplayer.
that UA is way strong :)

It's fun to debate effectiveness of japanese samurai versus the knights of the west, but they are so vividly different styles. Japanese sword smithing versus european? not too far from eachother really, I'd say they are simply different and one can debate wich is better to their heart's content. I love both styles and got a collection of blades from both.
Actually Japanese sword smithing was inferior because they took much longer to use steel because there is very little good iron in Japan.

From experience I can tell you that a reproduction European sword is clumsy, handles poorly and is heavier than the original, I have used a real European sword and they are exceptionally well balanced

Since reading this thread I decided to head over and take a look at that video. I'm about 3/4 done it now, taking a break. One thing I'm wondering about (though a bit off topic) was when they showed the civopedia while typing in Panzer for the German UU. The image we see is not a Panzer, but a Tiger I.

Since reading this thread I decided to head over and take a look at that video. I'm about 3/4 done it now, taking a break. One thing I'm wondering about (though a bit off topic) was when they showed the civopedia while typing in Panzer for the German UU. The image we see is not a Panzer, but a Tiger I.
You mean a Panzer 6, known as the tiger?
The tiger is a panzer too :p

Panzer is short for Panzerkampfwagen. which my best translation would be "armour strugle car". Applying logic to the translation would produces "armoured battle vehicle" a good description of a tank.

A Panzer is litterally a german tank, no matter which model is used.

Yup. I tried to explain this earlier in the thread!

You mean a Panzer 6, known as the tiger?

I understand, it's just any time I hear talk about panzers, it's always been about the Pz I to IV. The Panthers, Tigers, and Kings tend to always be in a special category of their own. Anyhow, no big deal.

Back on topic, I have a feeling my #1 civ to master will be Japan. I just SUSPECT like present, the economy may be a bit hard to get going. That trait for half-priced tile purchase perhaps may make up for the weaker units. We'll see.

And then the Samurai pulls out a bow and shoots the knight's horse from under him because they were mostly armored horse archers throughout their history.

If you're going to be anal retentive in a game that is not realistic in any form, then at least get it right.

And then the Samurai pulls out a bow and shoots the knight's horse from under him because they were mostly armored horse archers throughout their history.

If you're going to be anal retentive in a game that is not realistic in any form, then at least get it right.

That horse would have barding so you can't shoot it out

That horse would have barding so you can't shoot it out

Agincourt was a great french victory where their armored knights plowed through the English bowmen, deflecting every arrow with their plate armor and barding.:)

Agincourt was a great french victory where their armored knights plowed through the English bowmen, deflecting every arrow with their plate armor and barding.:)

That was why they developed barding, duh!

PS The Courser is much faster than a Kiso

PPS The Battle of Agincourt was largely decided by terrain

Top Bottom