JAR02, Always War Emperor

It might take me a couple of days to get to this as well. If someone else wants to jump in before me, go ahead.

I opened the save. I saw some courthouse building in rather corrupt areas, and I have to wonder if trebuchets or ships would be better. Once the team learns magnetism and military tradition is there any need for any further research?

Also, I found units in Tenochtitlan instead of around it. My experience, has been that if you keep your capital empty, then the AI will land units next to your capital instead of elsewhere almost always.

I also found two scientists getting used in Tenochtitlan, which I find rather bizarre to say the least.

Do people want a conquest or domination victory?

Hey @Spoonwood, thanks for checking out our game!
We're going for a domination victory, although that was really only decided a handful of sets ago.
For research, we wanted navigation for Magellan's. I don't think the plan was to research into the industrial, though that hasn't been discussed (since the start?).

Suede, have the Byz caravels around vitcos landed troops yet? There are two.
We are 6 turns away from magnetism, and after mm, we're at 569g and -56gpt, so it doesn't look like we'll have much cash to upgrade our galleys to galleons. Do we want to slow our research so we'll have upgrade money?

I'll work to recapture our lost towns and try to build up an invasion force.

Turn 0, 1250AD:
Some MM, change some builds, move some troops

IBT:
Ica Island:
Byzzies land knight, crisader, musket between Arequipa and Itzap

Turn 1, 1255AD:
Ica Island:
Lose 2 knights attacking the byz stack.
There are enough defenders we can't lose a town.

IBT:
Ica Island:
Byz attack Itzap w/ knight and crusader. They both defeat knights.

Turn 2, 1260AD:
Ica Island:
Defeat all 3 byz units, earning a promotion to elite, and an elite victory, no leader.

IBT:
Byz Caravel movements in and out of the fog

Turn 3, 1265AD:
Not Much

IBT:
Ica Island:
13 unit Byz stack lands next to Chiauhtia

Turn 4, 1270AD:
Ica Island:
The ACs can attack Ica this IBT, and I can't possibly defend both (or either) town
Attack Byz stack with vMDI, lose to rMusket
Attack Byz musket again w/ eKnight and win
Attack eAC w/ eKnight and lose

IBT:
Ica Island:
vMDI defeats our defending eMDI at Chia, and we lose the city
vAC attacks eMDI defending Ica, and loses! MDI creates leader
eMDI loses to vAC, leader is lost, and so is Ica.

5 Byz units die, 4 attacking a fortified musket on a hill, and one attacking a knight

Turn 5, 1275AD:
Ica Island:
I land 5 knights near Ica, but Itza and Arequipa are still vulnerable

IBT:
Ica Island:
Byz take Arequipa, but don't mess with Itza

Turn 6, 1280AD:
We learn Magnetism, but only have 259g. Start research on Metallurgy, due in 5 at -5gpt
I upgrade one caravel to a galleon to move an army to Ica Island

Ica Island: (the counterattack)
Siege of Ica:
vKnight attacks vAC, and wins
vKnight attacks injured vAC and wins
We take the city!

Siege of Chiau:
vKnight attacks eMDI and loses, injuring the defender
second knight finishes off the MDI, we take the city!
Injured eKnight attacks 1/5 vAC, and wins, gaining us a leader!
I build another army, but there aren't any full health units on the island

Seige of Arequipa:
Our vKnight defeats their vKnight, and promotes to elite
Second vKnight loses to injured eAC

IBT:
Ica Island:
Byz land one Crusader next to Chia

Turn 7, 1285AD:
Ica Island:
vknight attacks landed crusader, and loses
eknight attacks crusader and defeats him, no leader

Siege of Arequipa:
eKnight attacks 2/5 AC, and loses

IBT:
Ica Island:
Byz land 2 more units (AC+crusader) between Chia and Ica

Turn 8, 1290AD:
Ica Island:
vknight takes out newly landed crusader

IBT:
Ica Island:
Byz landed AC attacks knight at Chia and dies

Turn 9, 1295AD:
Ica Island:
Siege of Arequipa:
New Knight Army at Ica scores 2 victories
vknight defeats an rspear and captures the city!
We now control all 4 cities on Ica island

IBT:
Ica Island:
Byz land stack of 3 ACs a knight and a crisader at Ica

Turn 10, 1300AD:
Just some troop movements, there is some potential combat left for the next player to do.

Notes:
I got a leader, then left him as an empty army for a few turns because all of our units on Ica Island were injured and I didn't want to create a 5/13 health army for the Byz to target.
In Zitlaltepec, there are two caravels full of units for the cattletown island invasion, but they could be sent to Ica Island too.
There are troops to move on Ica Island, and maybe around the core.
Boats have been coming to Ica island from due west, but also recently from west of teno/teo, none have landed units in the core yet.

Attachments

• JAR02 1300AD.SAV
    174.7 KB · Views: 125
Sounds like a fairly tense turnset! Well done for holding the line, and recapturing the Ica-island towns. A new Army is always useful as well :thumbsup:

As for the other MGL spawned and killed on the same IBT — I know how frustrating that is, but **** happens, and there's no way to prevent it.

Great that we can now carry Galleon-borne 3-unit Armies overseas too, that means we should be able to land our single-unit + Treb (Cannon?) SoDs safely as well.

General question/suggestion: Are the Dutch (still) looking relatively harmless? If so, how about we just ignore them (for now), and concentrate on the Byzzies instead (especially if we need their land for Dom anyway — have we mapped the Dutch coast yet?)?

Because since the Byzzies can already attack overseas, it seems better to go after them directly, rather than trying to subdue (and then defend!) Holland, then going after the Byzzies, while also fending off their attacks on our homeland.

Wherever we invade next, though, we'll need a decent stack of Frigates to guard our Galleons. (And how about some Privateers, too? :groucho: Frigate-bombing enemy ships, then Privateer-enslaving them is always good fun! :evil: )

Jeez, that lost leader sucked. Quite the emotional rollercoaster.

Metallurgy is up next turn, for the cannons. We're pretty low on cash, so we only have a few galleons and only where they were needed.

I didn't map any of the Dutch coast, I put some caravels to spot any potential invasions, but focused our ships on shuttling units around. They do seem harmless, and with the byzzies being quite the nuisance, I think focusing on them might be a better choice.

Something I forgot to mention, the prebuild is already way over, and someone is building Magellan's already. Going for navigation before military tradition might be prudent.

I've got the save.

Good job, jarred! - sounds like the worst of the Byzantine invasion has been weathered. That knight army will let us invade safely, too.

I notice that the Dutch have navigation, so we may face a Dutch invasion soon, too. They aren't nearly as strong as the Byzantines, though, and I'm in favor of concentrating on the Byzantines for now. We may be able to wipe out the Indians along the way.

I'll look to build frigates and privateers. I'll work on getting galleons and cannons, whether by upgrading or building new. I'd like to get a pillaging army over onto Byzantine lands.

Navigation or Military Tradition first? We should also think about prebuilding for the military academy.

Lurker: Wow, that is some of the most intense AI landings I've seen. I'm use to 2 or 3 unit landings.

Navigation or Military Tradition first? We should also think about prebuilding for the military academy.
I think at this point Magellans (faster Frigates/Privateers) to bomb/sink the Byzzies' incoming seems more important than Cavs (which will be more needed for the upcoming invasion -- after the sealanes are clearer -- than for current home defence). If the Mags-prebuild has already run over the 400 shields, we'll get it as soon as we have Navi.

Certainly we should start on a MilAcad prebuild though: by the time MT is in, our invasion fleet should be (nearly) ready to sail, at which point having the MA-boost for our Armies will be much more important.

We've made major progress on retaking our islands. An army is in India, ready to pillage its way through the Byzantines. The Byzantines built Magellan's Voyage before we learned navigation. Our prebuild turned into the military academy, and we are building the pentagon and an army. Once we have armies ready to on the Indian/Byzantine island, we can add a fourth unit to them.

We need to put another unit on Vitcos island to block it off. The flip risk in Cattletown is high, so be careful there.

There are some units with movement, and there is money for upgrading and rushing. Our units are pretty scattered, so the next player can make a plan and get organized for our own invasion.

Turn 0 - 1300
Switch some builds and change taxmen into scientists to get more cash. Evacuate Chiauhtia, killing an AC along the way.
IBT: Lose Chiauhtia, AC dies attacking Ica. Lots of boat movement. Learn Metallurgy, start Navigation, due in 4 at -14 gpt.

Turn 1 – 1305
Kill knight, crusader, AC near Chiauhtia; lose 2 knights, MI.
See Dutch galleys to the east.
Move units around.
IBT: Boats move around. Crusader lands on western island.

Turn 2 – 1310
Knight army kills two spears, takes Chiauhtia. Knight retreats, 2nd knight kills crusader.
Land on eastern island.
IBT: Byzantines land 6 units on western island. Byzantines complete Magellan's Voyage.

Turn 3 – 1315
There is no longer any reason to learn navigation, so I switch to Military Tradition, due in 6 turns.
Kill all units on western island except reg longbow, deciding to rest redlined knights instead.
Take Coyotepec on eastern island.
IBT: Longbow kills reg musket. Byzantines land 4 on western island. Dutch land musket and longbow near Ta-Tu.

Turn 4: 1320
Kill Dutch invaders. Kill Byzantine stack. Take Tequixquiac, killing 2 reg muskets and at least one boat.
IBT: Knight retreats from longbow, Byz. Knight lands on western island.

Turn 5: 1325
E MDI kills knight, generates an MGL. Make a knight army. Kill 2 muskets at Cattletown.
IBT: 2 knights and a crusader land on western island.

Turn 6: 1330
Sink a boat. Kill a musket at Cattletown. Kill stack on western island.
IBT: Aimless boats, longbow lands next to Tequixquiac, which then flips, taking 2 redlined knights with it.

Turn 7: 1335
Moving around and resting, boats explore.
IBT: No landings. Learn Military Tradition, start Banking. Finish Military Academy, start army.

Turn 8: 1340
Turn down research, swap scientists to taxmen.
Kill 2 muskets, take Cattletown. Kill longbow. Lose a knight, but retake Tequixquiac. Knight army is on the way to Byzantium to pillage.
IBT: No landings. Dutch build town on western island.

Turn 9: 1345
Kill longbow by Haarlem. Upgrade some knights.
IBT: 3 knights land on western island.

Turn 10: 1350
Build Coatepec. Kill 2 knights, redline another. Move units so towns are protected.

Attachments

• JAR02 1350AD.SAV
    173.3 KB · Views: 109
Here are some pictures of foreign lands: DutchLands.png ByzantineLands_North.png ByzantineLands_South.png

Roster:
1. jarred
2. CKS (just played)
3. @tjs282 (up)
4. Judminder (on deck)
5. SuedecivIII
6. Elephantium
Uuuh, really? I know @CKS just played, but @Elephantium still hasn't had his go from the last round.

I wasn't sure if he was taking a skip or a swap, so I didn't feel righteous about claiming the 1350 AD save for myself.

But if Tusker's cool with me playing next, then call this a gottit.

Yeah, I'm cool with that. I think my swap is now officially a skip. I've been swamped this month between work and house.

Top Bottom