Jungle Fever: Monarch Aztec Mayhem - Domination or Conquest Victory

there are instructions in the forum somewhere
But basically upload the pic somewhere, copy the link, and click the img icon in the post (the one witih mountains).

Got it, and will play in the morning.

I will say, though, that I am up for some Roman beatdown!

My turnset is done. Pindicator is up next.

Turn 139 (20 BC)
Khift: Examined maps, units, etc. Updated the flags.
Khift: Thermopylae has 4 greek archers on it. We won't be cracking that nut for a while.
Khift: Rome has a copper resource hooked up, supposedly, and the copper north of green dot is within their new city's range.
Khift: If we want to deprive rome of copper... It'd be pretty hard.
Khift: I do want to send an archer into their lands just to scout.
Khift: If we're to go on the offensive, we'll need to understand where their resources are.
Jaguar defeats (2.45/5): Greek Archer

Turn 140 (0 AD)
Khift: "New Roman City" is actually Neapolis. Two archers sitting on it.
Khift: Roman archer approaching Tenoch. Jag set to build before it arrives.
Tenochtitlan finishes: Jaguar
Tlatelolco finishes: Jaguar

Turn 141 (20 AD)
Tenochtitlan begins: Jaguar
Tlatelolco begins: Jaguar
Khift: Another archer pops in Thermopylae.
Jaguar promoted: Cover
Jaguar promoted: Medic I
Khift: Add a medic to the stack near Thermopylae.
Khift: It isn't impossible to take that city just on the strength of the CR2 Jag there.
Teotihuacan finishes: Jaguar

Turn 142 (40 AD)
Teotihuacan begins: Jaguar
Jaguar defeats (2.40/5): Roman Archer
Khift: Take out an archer that was threating both our stone and gold

Turn 143 (60 AD)

Turn 144 (80 AD)

Turn 145 (100 AD)
Jaguar defeats (3.05/5): Greek Archer
Khift: Two archers show up near Thermopylae. It's now or never if we want to take the city.
Khift: 74% chance to take it...
Khift: After some consideration, I decide not to take the city.
Khift: Although we would most likely manage to raze it and steal some workers in the process
Khift: The reinforcements could easily assault our weakened forces and take two of our jags out.

Turn 146 (120 AD)
Archer promoted: Combat I
Khift: Rome has been found.
Khift: The reinforcements decide that instead of joining Thermopylae's garrison, they would instead try to pillage Tenoch.
Khift: Rearranged units to make this a lose/lose situation for them.
Jaguar promoted: Cover
Teotihuacan finishes: Jaguar
Archer defeats (0.60/3): Roman Axeman
Jaguar defeats (3.60/5): Greek Archer
Jaguar defeats (2.95/5): Greek Archer
Jaguar defeats (1.00/5): Greek Archer

Turn 147 (140 AD)
Teotihuacan begins: Jaguar
Khift: All fear the invulnerable Jaguar!
Khift: I'd half-expected them to throw the kitchen sink at me, but not like that.
Khift: Figured they would lose two or three to us losing zero or one. I guess a three for zero is a pretty good trade, no?
Khift: The archer near rome actually survives their axeman.
Khift: Retreat it for healing.
Khift: Stone completes.
Khift: Contemplate taking Thermopylae again.
Khift: It's even more in our favor now.
Khift: Decide to go for it.
Jaguar defeats (1.60/5): Greek Archer
Khift: First battle was a smashing success.
Jaguar loses to: Greek Archer (0.48/3)
Khift: Second battle not so, but reinforcements are on the way.
Archer loses to: Roman Spearman (4.00/4)

Turn 148 (160 AD)
Khift: Injured Jags retreat to Teoti
Khift: Archer was surpised and ambushed by a manticore!
Khift: I mean, Roman Spearman.
Khift: Caesar stops by and begs for peace.
Khift: With him having axemen...
Khift: I consider it, but decide against it.
Khift: Thermopylae due in one turn.

Turn 149 (180 AD)
Khift: Two archers arrive at Thermopylae, ruining our chances of taking the city for now.
Khift: Opt to instead raze their farmlands to keep the city from growing.
Khift: Two units resting in Teoti. 4 turns til healed.
Khift: Accumulating Jags at Tlate.
Khift: Barb axeman threatens Neapolis.

Turn 150 (200 AD)
Khift: Science lowered to 70%; we were running in the red.

Turn 151 (210 AD)
Jaguar defeats (2.00/5): Greek Archer
Khift: More archers appear near Thermopylae; how is Alex making all these?
Jaguar defeats (4.35/5): Roman Archer
Khift: And I'm done.
Khift: Thermopylae just keeps getting archers, but likewise keeps throwing them away.
Khift: Several Jags are at and arriving soon at Tlate; Neapolis is within reach, assuming Caesar doesn't get any Axes in there.
Khift: Peace with Caesar is very possible at this moment.
Khift: Monarchy in one turn...
Khift: And war is looking up.
Khift: Still don't know where Caesar's copper is.

Did you see if the iron tile nort- east of Rome was being worked when you explored it Khift? That seems to be the most likely way for Caeser to keep being able to build axemen, although if it is I'm surprised he hasn't got Praetorians over to us yet.

I don't think making peace with Caeser yet will actually get us anything anyway, but once we see Praetorians it's probably definately worth considering. Maybe we could research Alphabet next to get some of the cheap early techs off him for peace?

Caeser's Iron?

Silver + more Iron:

Yeah when I saw a Roman Spearmen I assumed he had copper, not iron, otherwise where are the Praetorians? This is going to be tough if he starts making those bastards, and with Iron right next to Rome why wouldn't he. Obviously we need Axemen.

...God, I'd completely missed that.

*shakes head*

I do know that I saw no workers anywhere during Suicide Archer's trek. And, at least his death was not in vain! We now have forewarning that Caesar will get very mean, very soon.

I say we get a scout (Read: some not very useful unit, not exactly a real Scout though...) in on Neapolis and check if he has any Axemen in that city. If so, sign peace. We won't gain anything by battering ourselves on Axemen. Otherwise, storm it with ~5 Jaguars. Last I checked, it had two archers stationed there; it'd be an easy nut to crack and burn.

Time to show how we do a turn-set report here at CivFanatics!

The save, 310AD

Wow, we need that bronze hooked up again in a flash. No way can we fight Rome w/o axes. As for Greece, I'm going to wipe Thermopylae off the map. If I see a Praetorian I'm calling for peace, however.

Do some MM; Tlate gets put on max production as it has hit its happiness limit. Teotihuacan gets a little more growth given to it.

1) 220AD
Monarchy comes in. I set us down towards Alphabet, due in 27(!!)
Since we are Spritual, I put us to Hereditary Rule immediately so our cities can grow again.
Christianity FIDL -- wow, we may be behind in the tech race

A Jaguar had goto orders on it. There's another SG no-no

Remember when Teoti and Tenoch were mysteriously connected via trade route. Well, now they aren't! One road from Teoti to Tenoch coming up!

Personally, I wouldn't have cottaged the tile by Teoti. That town is going to have a hard enough time growing as is; cottage the grassland that can't be irrigated if anything. Oh well.

2) 230AD
Teoti: Jaguar -> Axeman

Move against Neapolis:

Kill a stray archer that came north of Thermopylae. Jag down to 2.2/5
Moving Jaguars towards Thermopylae. They will be in position to attack next turn

3) 240AD
Assault on Neapolis:

Cover Jaguar loses to Garrison II Archer (1.3/3.0)
Cover Jaguar loses to Garrison I Archer (0.5/3.0)
Cover, Raider II Jaguar beats Garrison II Archer flawlessly
Unpromoted Jaguar beats Garrison I Archer flawlessly and we BURN Neapolis

--Why burn it? First, because it is in bad location in relation to yellow and green dots. Second, I do not want to over-burdon us with city maintenance, while there are two far superior locations to be had (green and orange dots).

4) 250AD
Tenoch: Jaguar -> Axeman
Tenoch's borders expand and we can hook up horses now if we so desire

A barb city has sprung up near Green Dot. Oh shoot, it would have fit very well with Neapolis. Still, we don't want to expand that much until after Currency.

Set science to 0% temporarily so we can upgrade our super-promoted warrior.

Move in against Thermopylae:

5) 260AD
A third archer pops up in Thermo. I decide to wait for backup.

6) 270AD
Science back to 70%.

4 Jaguars move against Antium. Only one Archer (Garrison II) is in the city.
Alex's archer has moved out of the city. I will wait one more turn, for it to move farther away, before attacking.

7) 280AD
Tlatelolco: Archer -> Axeman

Assault of Thermopylae:
Cover Jaguar loses to Garrison I Archer (1.2/3.0) -- I had the odds too
Cover, Raider I Jaguar wins against Garrison I Archer, 1.4/5.0
Cover, Raider II Jaguar wins against last Archer.

Again, I burn the city. Even burning the city, we have captured 2 workers! That and 80 gold made it very worthwhile.

Assault of Antium:
Cover Jaguar loses to Garrison II Archer (1.3/3.0) -- good, considering the odds
Cover, Raider II Jaguar beats Garrison II Archer, 4.2/5.0

This time I capture the city. Antium is in a good location and more important, is a good stepping stone to Rome.

We capture another worker from Antium.
I have doubled our workers in just one turn! :lol:

8) 290AD
Teoti: Axeman -> Library

A shot of the Barb City. The plan is to have that Jaguar map out the NW and see if we want that city in that location or if the Green Dot is better (mainly, are there resources just out of view?)

Move the Guerilla II Archer SE so it breaks the fog above Orange Dot.
Cover, Raider II Jaguar kills Greek Combat I Archer, 2.8/5.0
Oh, and I finally remember to upgrade that warrior.

9) 300AD
Greek archer attacks the 2.8/5.0 Cover, Raider II Jaguar and loses.
A barb axeman wanders near Orange Dot.

Tenoch: Axeman -> Settler

Begin a Winery by Teotihuacan.
Greeks appear to have settled a town down by the iron. I plan on taking the fight to them and razing that next.

10) 310AD
Rome comes asking for peace. I tell him no, leaving that decision for the group. However, I do notice that he is down to just his capital! Even if we do allow peace, he should be no more a serious threat for the rest of the game.

Antium is very sick, so I order it to build a Granary.

An uneventful final turn.

Notes-

Group decision on Rome. I could go either way, although it may be best to just wipe him off the map.
Tenoch's axe is staying put for happiness reasons; when the winery gets hooked up he can move out.
We have 4 Jaguars healing above the ruins of Thermopylae; I say they can go take out Greece's newest city once they heal up.
Probably shouldn't build too many more units until we can support them. I was paying 5-6gpt for unit expenses during the turnset, one reason I was not in the least sad to see us lose some of those battles.

Great turns and report. What the heck happened to the Romans? They have metal but they're down to their capital without us having had to kill any metal units?

I agree on the burn/not-burn decisions, too bad Antium isn't on the river, but it fits nicely and captures the resources well. And that's a good direction for us to be headed.

We need to start working some cottages now that we have some breathing room. We're going to fall way behind in tech otherwise. Hopefully it's not too late for that.

I think the barbs helped us out with Rome, Torello, big time. I saw one, possibly two Barb axemen around Rome during the turnset. Finding Antium with one archer was indeed, bizarre, but finding it with a Garrison II archer is the big hint as to what probably happened: Barb Axe came and killed the first archer, then died against the second allowing it to promote to Garrison II.

Nice write up, not bad combat results either:D

I'd wait until we get alphabet before making peace with Caeser, with him down to his capital he'll probably give us some techs that could help, and we can always finish him off later. Maybe he'd even be desperate enough to give something relatively expensive up like Mathematics, it sounds like we could do with the help in the tech race. It'd probably be a good idea to keep Napoleon on our side for now if he's willing to actually trade anything, we'll need someone to trade with anyway.

colony said:
Nice write up, not bad combat results either:D

I'd wait until we get alphabet before making peace with Caeser, with him down to his capital he'll probably give us some techs that could help, and we can always finish him off later. Maybe he'd even be desperate enough to give something relatively expensive up like Mathematics, it sounds like we could do with the help in the tech race. It'd probably be a good idea to keep Napoleon on our side for now if he's willing to actually trade anything, we'll need someone to trade with anyway.

Meh, if my 'trade relations' with the AI are the norm, they NEVER give up tech to end war. I'll have my armies ready to slaughter each and every one of their cities, but they would rather get eliminated than give technology.

pindicator said:
I think the barbs helped us out with Rome, Torello, big time. I saw one, possibly two Barb axemen around Rome during the turnset. Finding Antium with one archer was indeed, bizarre, but finding it with a Garrison II archer is the big hint as to what probably happened: Barb Axe came and killed the first archer, then died against the second allowing it to promote to Garrison II.

Yeah you must be right.

On the other side of the coin, I think we did a great job with the Barbarians. I was reading another SG thread on Monarch with Raging Barbs and they got set back quite a bit by them. We got hit more by Alexander than the Barbs.

ticktockclok said:
Meh, if my 'trade relations' with the AI are the norm, they NEVER give up tech to end war. I'll have my armies ready to slaughter each and every one of their cities, but they would rather get eliminated than give technology.

They're normally quite happy to give you things like Polytheism/Sailing/Priesthood for peace. It is a lot harder to get anything off them once you reach the Medieval Age, as IIRC they value the number of beakers the tech cost at more than the same number of gold when asking for peace. I've only managed to get an AI willing to give me a tech later in the game once, and that was by completely crushing them with Cossacks (even then the only tech I could've got was Divine Right). I wouldn't be surprised if they took the relative power of both civs into account when deciding how much to give you.

I had some free time at lunch, so I continued our jungle fever epic.

#1: 320 AD -> Axeman moved into jungle to intercept barb. axeman;
axe moved to intercept barber archer;
Jags marched on Rome;
Jags marched on Sparta;
Antium set to build archer;
Tenochtilan set to build jag.

#2: 330 AD -> Tlatololco finished archer, set to build jag;
axe won vs. barb. axe, set to heal;
jags won vs. Greek archer;
jags moved to pillage Roman iron.

#3: 340 AD -> Caesar moved 1 praetorian toward Antium, we moved two axemen up to meet the new challenge;
jags ignored the praetorian, continued on to iron;
moved 2 healthy jags toward Sparta.

#4: 350 AD -> Jags killed the archer protecting the Roman Iron (not smart of Caesar, should have at least put a praetorian on that vital resource);
The lone praetorian moved on Antium;
Worker started hooking up the horse pasture outside the capital.

#5: 360 AD -> Antium captured by the praetorian;
Two axemen armies converged on Antium, their battle cry, "avenge the poor defenseless people of Antium!"
Jags pillaged the Roman iron ("make your precious praetorians now, Caesar!")

#6: 370 AD -> Our valiant axes slaughtered the praetorian army, Antium liberated;
Jags probed Spartan territory (Greek Iron not hooked up)
Capital finished jag, set to build another

#7: 380 AD -> Jags killed Greek archer outside Sparta;
Jags moved into battle position outside Rome

#8: #390 AD -> Jags attacked Rome, took heavy loss, Rome captured, the Roman Civilization has been wiped out ("Bye bye, Caesar, it has been fun killing you.");

Jags maneuvered outside Sparta

#9: #400 AD -> Antium set to build obelisk, workers moved to chop for it;
The glorious Aztec Empires is now half a million strong;
Jag pillaged silver around Sparta;
Garrisoned 2 axemen in former Roman cities;

#10: #410 AD -> Tlatololco finished jag, set to build axe
Capital finished jag, set to build another
Jag killed a Greek archer that had foolishly moved outside the safety of his city wall.

Stand in awe of the fledgling Aztec Empire in 410 AD :D

Sparta looks tough to beat with 4 archers on a hill, so our next priorities should be to research construction to get catapults, and also build some horse archers with flanking ability. Meanwhile, our jags can pillage to their heart's content in the Greek land. We should try to build a galley eventually to pillage any Greek seafood resources. We need to keep at least two defenders in each city up north, since Napoleon is an opportunist and has a backstabbing tendency.

ticktockclok: Up
niffweed17: On Deck

Good turns, mutax! Always good to see Rome wiped out.

I think we need to stop capturing or buildling cities for the time being. Your empire-shot shows why: -11gpt at 70% !!! That's no good at all! Priority now has to be buildling up what we have and getting our economy to a level where we can continue to advance. If we want, we can raze (and probably should, as it will give us some money to burn through research with) some cities, just to keep Greece and barbs down, but our priority has to be economy right now.

So I propose:
1) Grow cities as large as possible. More citizens = more commerce
2) Build Courthouses, especially in distant cities. Rome would be my first priority, but I think we want Courthouses in all of our cities right now.
3) Set research path for Math -> Currency
Getting the extra trade route and Markets will help econ considerably
4) Once we are good on economy, resume expanding / conquering
Generally my line for expanding is for earning positive income at 70% research. Anything below that, I don't expand. Anythign above that, I aim to.

My $0.02

Top Bottom