KhaNESII: S.P.Q.R

My name is Lucius Domitius Protacius, and I am but a simple man, having for much of my life been on campaign in Pontus with my now unfortunately deceased father, may he find peace in the afterlife. While his fame must precede him in the glorious halls of Rome, I know that I, myself, must still make a name for myself. As such, I hold my skills and talents to the disposal of the Senate, of which I am honoured to find myself a member.

However, that being said, being a military man at heart, support one who truly understands what it takes to keep the Republic safe. As such, I support Iustus Bruscius in his campaign for consulship.

Edit: OOC: Couldn't resist, once I'd actually read through

Military service was how most people entered politics back then.

''I, Caesar, offer my services as governor of Transalpine Gaul. We need a man with military skills to defend the province from the Northen Barbarians. The Gallic Tribes can be very dangerous.''

The Speaker of the Senate rises to speak. His orderlies shush the assembled senators, waiting patiently for the room to fall silent.

"With enough time for introductions given, though any other Senator may still arrive and present themselves at any point, and even join the senate, I declare it the formal start of the campaigning."

"I hereby declare the formal opening of nominations for candidacy for the Consulship."

"Tiberius Tertinius Palomachus (erez87), Marcus Aurelius Viator (Samsniped) and Iustus Bruscius (ekolite) have already nominated themselves for Consul, and do not need to renominate themselves."

"I will give 24 hours for any other esteemed Senator to nominate themselves for the candidacy, followed by 72-96 hours for voting and campaigning. Please use the time henceforth not only to nominate yourselves if you wish, but carry out campaigning, give speeches to support your candidate or themselves, carry out whatever politicking you may desire, and question potential candidates on their policies, as you will only have 96-120 hours to do so."

"The 77 BCE Campaign Season begins now!"

Tiberius Tertinius Pachomius

I would like to ask both Iustus Bruscius and Marcus Aurelius Viator how do they suggest the plebeians should be fed? From what I gather for now is that Viator believes the Republic should feed the poor rather than allow them to feed themselves, and Iustus it would seem would like to increase the plantations, create more poor and than force the Republic to feed them as well. It does not matter how cheap the bread is if those people have no salary to buy it with.

Also I claim that reinstatement of the Gracchi Reforms will not harm the economy greatly, and any harm done will soon be undone by the growth of the Plebeians. For now they grow poor and hungry, and poor and hungry plebeians are not a stabilizing factor of the empire.

I again call for either the creation of a new law that will handle the poor Plebians without land or profession or that reinstatement of the Gracchi Reforms, albeit at a smaller scale to allow for large plantations but not on the shoulders of the people.

As I have noticed, I also did not say that I will, obviously, cancel Sulla's Triumphs.

"Perhaps. Were you at the Quinquatrus festival at the Athens Agora last spring?"

Ah! Yes I have! Perhaps I have seen you in Athens as I thought. I also thank you for supporting my bid for consulship.

OOC: Damn there aren't enough players for political gaming to get two consuls that agree with me :p

OOC: Damn there aren't enough players for political gaming to get two consuls that agree with me :p

Compromise is half the problem fun. :p

SPQR, 79 BC
SENATE POPOLUS QUE ROMANUM

Marius Blandinus Servius rises to speak.

For long Rome has suffered due to the over ambitions of certain people, who has driven Rome to the very brinks of self implosion. Now, in the new age of democracy, we, the senators of Rome must ensure that no such event takes place. We, the senators, the representatives of the people of Rome must ensure that the democratic nature of this land continues. As my esteemed colleagues might already know, I belong one of the patrician clans of Tarentum. True, we have been away from the City of Seven Hills, but I have been legitimately elected by the people of my province, to represent them, and their best interests in the senate.

As for the pressing matters in hand,
Gracchi Reforms, are a bad idea : There is a reason why we have 2 classes in the society : The plebians and the patricians. It is of utmost importance that the status of the Patricians are maintained.
Grain Doles - There is no need to pressurizing the Roman Tresury any further.
Truimphs of Sulla are necessary to ensure that the fearless soldiers of Rome are now kept in control. With many possible barbarian tribes all around us, we need to ensure that our legions are there, when the enemies strike at the gates.

Marius Blandinus Servius, the Gracchii Reforms do not cancel out the classes of the Romans. What it does is make one of them less hungry and dependable.

Yes The Gracchii Reforms are far from perfect, and I have been working on a different reform as soon as possible, but probably not in the next few years. I will support other reforms that could turn the tide on the poor and hungry.

Remember - once those poor landless people have nothing left to eat, they will eat the rich.

I would like to ask both Iustus Bruscius and Marcus Aurelius Viator how do they suggest the plebeians should be fed? From what I gather for now is that Viator believes the Republic should feed the poor rather than allow them to feed themselves, and Iustus it would seem would like to increase the plantations, create more poor and than force the Republic to feed them as well. It does not matter how cheap the bread is if those people have no salary to buy it with.

Semantics. The Plebians are always poor and always asking for more food. Besides, Grain Dole is free for the peasants. Either way our decision will hurt the Republic's treasury, and you seem to be choosing a pathway that will lead to more chaos in our chaotic times.

Also I claim that reinstatement of the Gracchi Reforms will not harm the economy greatly, and any harm done will soon be undone by the growth of the Plebeians. For now they grow poor and hungry, and poor and hungry plebeians are not a stabilizing factor of the empire.

So are unhappy wealthy patricians with lots of influence. I suppose that did not enter your mind.

What you are saying is a load of garum leftovers. You propse an alternative reform which you fail to specify what is, as if that is supposed to calm our fears. Larger singular plantations are easier to manage and tax. Whatever meager growth the Plebians manage as farmers will never overtake the economic boon provided by these larger plantations.

I again call for either the creation of a new law that will handle the poor Plebians without land or profession or that reinstatement of the Gracchi Reforms, albeit at a smaller scale to allow for large plantations but not on the shoulders of the people.

Your politicking-circumloquatious language is noted. You are promising everything and nothing. Make up your bloody mind- do you propse a reinstatement of the Reforms, large state owned plantations, or some new arcane laws?

As I have noticed, I also did not say that I will, obviously, cancel Sulla's Triumphs.

As it should be.

For now, I shall support my fellow military commander, Iulus, in his bid for the seat of the consul.

I announce today more detailed plans for my consulship, considering the other consul of course agrees with most of my choices.

We must nominate two generals to the second and third legions, the two will share command and sent to Pannonia with the key aim of stopping the raids, and a secondary aim to pacify the tribes and bring slaves. I will nominate Marius Blandinus Servius as one of the generals. Perhaps Iustus Bruscius can be a good choice for a second.

We must nominate two generals to the fourth and fifth legions and station one in Anatolia and one in Transalpine Gaul for these provinces are the least stable of our empire, and we cannot risk Anatolia to be empty if Pontus will choose to wage war upon us again.

I will support Placidus Aurelius Cassidorus as governor of Anatolia, to work closely with the fourth legion to calm the province down.

I will support Gaius Iulius Caesar as governor of Transalpine Gaul, to work closely with the fifth legion to calm the province down.

I will support myself for governor of Italia or Sicilia, stable provinces in need of a personal look by a consul.

I will support Titus Lucretius Longus as governor of either Sicilia or Italia (ooc: depending which I will get my dirty paws on). He is a fine manager and will be able to hold an important province well.

Other than that the first legion should remain in Rome, and increased in manpower in case of emergency.

I will, as stated before, work to reinstate the Geracchii Reforms, I will work to increase the Grain Dole and I will work to remove the Triumphs of Sulla.

EDIT
And I nearly forgot. We should nominate two envoys to North Africa and Egypt and Judea to bargain for an alliance with the good people there. Judea will surely agree, giving Rome a step into the levant. Perhaps tribute can be collected as well from the Numidians and Mauries.

Semantics. The Plebians are always poor and always asking for more food. Besides, Grain Dole is free for the peasants. Either way our decision will hurt the Republic's treasury, and you seem to be choosing a pathway that will lead to more chaos in our chaotic times.

So are unhappy wealthy patricians with lots of influence. I suppose that did not enter your mind.

What you are saying is a load of garum leftovers. You propse an alternative reform which you fail to specify what is, as if that is supposed to calm our fears. Larger singular plantations are easier to manage and tax. Whatever meager growth the Plebians manage as farmers will never overtake the economic boon provided by these larger plantations.

Your politicking-circumloquatious language is noted. You are promising everything and nothing. Make up your bloody mind- do you propse a reinstatement of the Reforms, large state owned plantations, or some new arcane laws?

Perhaps Rufus, my friend, you have not been paying attention in reading class, or in history and demographics. I did not suggest another alternative reform. I suggest we reinstate the Geracchii reform until a better reform is devised. I myself have been giving much thought to another reform, but I cannot in good heart state it and instate it as a bill of Rome. I suggest we reinstate the Geracchii reform with certain changes to allow for larger land owning, but still not as large as currently. The patricians will be much less unhappy, and the much more numerous and army-serving plebeians will be happier. Why should I prefer the rich who can manage themselves over the poor who cannot under the current circumstances.

The Geracchii reforms have worked in the past, and it was only Sulla, as the dictator he was, who revoked them for no reason other than to increase his own power and influence. He had no care for the common plebeian, I do.

With the Geracchii reforms in place the number of hungry plebeians will go down and the Dole Grain will not have to be as high as currently required to feed everyone.

What do you suggest? To let the people suffer in famine and hunger?

Perhaps Rufus, my friend, you have not been paying attention in reading class, or in history and demographics. I did not suggest another alternative reform. I suggest we reinstate the Geracchii reform until a better reform is devised. I myself have been giving much thought to another reform, but I cannot in good heart state it and instate it as a bill of Rome. I suggest we reinstate the Geracchii reform with certain changes to allow for larger land owning, but still not as large as currently. The patricians will be much less unhappy, and the much more numerous and army-serving plebeians will be happier. Why should I prefer the rich who can manage themselves over the poor who cannot under the current circumstances.

Preferring the rich over the poor, eh? You overestimate the reliability of the plebians that you love so much. The plebians have never been, and never will, be a reliable powerbase as a whole. Their minds are fickle and their memories are short. Whatever boon we provide them will be forgotten as soon as a new trouble rise. Whatever trouble they are in will be quickly forgotten as soon as we awe them with our glory. Your path only plunge the Roman Republic into a spiral downward as we try to please, not awe, the plebians.

We, the Senate, are not the servants of the Roman people. We are their leader, and as leader we must command respect. Our duty is not for the people of Rome, it is for the State of Rome. I suspect that your Greek-education have rotten your mind and soul. You look like Roman, but act like Greek-sissy.

Patricians will always repay their debts. Plebians don't and should not be expected to. It's simple.

The Geracchii reforms have worked in the past, and it was only Sulla, as the dictator he was, who revoked them for no reason other than to increase his own power and influence. He had no care for the common plebeian, I do.

No it did not. Perhaps I should remind you that Gracchii died because he lost the support of the uncaring plebians after the reforms passed and was thus considered a nobody that deserved only death? You put your faith in the same plebians?

What do you suggest? To let the people suffer in famine and hunger?

Grain dole and improving grain output of existing plantations.

I announce today more detailed plans for my consulship, considering the other consul of course agrees with most of my choices.

We must nominate two generals to the second and third legions, the two will share command and sent to Pannonia with the key aim of stopping the raids, and a secondary aim to pacify the tribes and bring slaves. I will nominate Marius Blandinus Servius as one of the generals. Perhaps Iustus Bruscius can be a good choice for a second.

Both of whom are your rivals here in the senate, I observe.

We must nominate two generals to the fourth and fifth legions and station one in Anatolia and one in Transalpine Gaul for these provinces are the least stable of our empire, and we cannot risk Anatolia to be empty if Pontus will choose to wage war upon us again.

I will support Placidus Aurelius Cassidorus as governor of Anatolia, to work closely with the fourth legion to calm the province down.

I will support Gaius Iulius Caesar as governor of Transalpine Gaul, to work closely with the fifth legion to calm the province down.

One of them's a bloodthirsty maniac and the other is not well known for his management skills. It's almost as if you seem to want to incite rebellions there and blame the generals responsible in order to eliminate potential rivals, senator, but an honorable man such as you would never think of that I suppose.

I will support myself for governor of Italia or Sicilia, stable provinces in need of a personal look by a consul.

Also the richest. I suppose a honorable man such as you would never deign to think of getting into consulship with the sole reason of getting money and living a comfortable decadent Greek life with a Greek mistress and bunch of Greek slaves in some manor in sunny coast of Italy, no?

I will support Titus Lucretius Longus as governor of either Sicilia or Italia (ooc: depending which I will get my dirty paws on). He is a fine manager and will be able to hold an important province well.

Perhaps.

The current shortage of food crops can be managed if we can get hold of more slaves to work on the farms. Honorable Roman citizens can do other things, more worth their time i.e. overseeing these slaves.

If my humble self, were to be provided an opportunity to deal with the barbarians to the north, I could ensure that there would be no shortage of slaves to tend the fields or for other trivial acts, because of our families extensive expertise in working with these slaves.

Preferring the rich over the poor, eh? You overestimate the reliability of the plebians that you love so much. The plebians have never been, and never will, be a reliable powerbase as a whole. Their minds are fickle and their memories are short. Whatever boon we provide them will be forgotten as soon as a new trouble rise. Whatever trouble they are in will be quickly forgotten as soon as we awe them with our glory. Your path only plunge the Roman Republic into a spiral downward as we try to please, not awe, the plebians.
I do not rely on the Plebeians, and I do not know if they love me or not. I am honored that you believe I am loved by them. I do not rely on the Plebeians as a source of power. I respect them and care for them as Roman citizens of this empire.

We, the Senate, are not the servants of the Roman people. We are their leader, and as leader we must command respect. Our duty is not for the people of Rome, it is for the State of Rome. I suspect that your Greek-education have rotten your mind and soul. You look like Roman, but act like Greek-sissy.

Patricians will always repay their debts. Plebians don't and should not be expected to. It's simple.
The Senate exists to serve Rome. And Rome is The Roman People and citizens. We command respect, which you seem to not be able to show. Your view of the senate is egotistical and selfish. You see nothing more than your private power and honor and do more to insult and lower the honor of the Romans. It is you who will bring Rome into a spiral of chaos and civil unrest and warfare with your selfish ideals.

No it did not. Perhaps I should remind you that Gracchii died because he lost the support of the uncaring plebians after the reforms passed and was thus considered a nobody that deserved only death? You put your faith in the same plebians?
But it did. The Plebeians were much better fed than are without the Gracchii Reforms. I do not support the reforms for the support of the plebeians. That is only your selfish view, where you think we all only care for our own power and influence. My interest is that Roman citizens will be able to work for their living, own their own lands and be able to feed themselves.

Grain dole and improving grain output of existing plantations.
The Grain Dole will weaken the Roman economy far more than the Gracchii reforms. It will be a constant, and growing hole in the Roman balance.
And how would you go about improving the grain output? By magic perhaps? Or perhaps by granting them more lands - and creating many more poor, increasing the Grain Dole beyond any possible way of fulfilling.

Both of whom are your rivals here in the senate, I observe.
Your observation are simplistic and egotistical. They are also flawed and wrong. I do not consider those who disagree with me as my rivals. If they were to be my rivals, why would I support both of them to control legions of the empire?

One of them's a bloodthirsty maniac and the other is not well known for his management skills. It's almost as if you seem to want to incite rebellions there and blame the generals responsible in order to eliminate potential rivals, senator, but an honorable man such as you would never think of that I suppose.
Learn manners. You are speaking with such disgrace and insults at an honorable senator of Rome. You speak of respect and honor, but show none. Those territories are already the least stable. A man of intrigue and ability to move secret plans and plots is ideal to Anatolia, where the king of Pontus always looks to topple the Roman control over the area.
And why would we not give a less known senator a territory? Yes perhaps he would make less of it, but senators with interest in governing are few and the province of Transalpin Gaul is less economical than others. A good military man is what is needed there.

Also the richest. I suppose a honorable man such as you would never deign to think of getting into consulship with the sole reason of getting money and living a comfortable decadent Greek life with a Greek mistress and bunch of Greek slaves in some manor in sunny coast of Italy, no?
Why would I not? I enjoy what life has to offer. The province is also highly stable and high in its economic power, and I, as a management person at heart, would do well to control such a province for Rome to prosper, as well as myself, I do not deny that. It is also the reason I see Titus Lucretius Longus as a good candidate for the other richest province of our empire. He is also a man of managment who could probably control a province to th very best.

I don't recall asking you if I should do those things, friend. I intend to work with the consul who will be my equal to decide on these things, and you most likely will not be that man.

The current shortage of food crops can be managed if we can get hold of more slaves to work on the farms. Honorable Roman citizens can do other things, more worth their time i.e. overseeing these slaves.

If my humble self, were to be provided an opportunity to deal with the barbarians to the north, I could ensure that there would be no shortage of slaves to tend the fields or for other trivial acts, because of our families extensive expertise in working with these slaves.
I would support Marius Blandinus Servius for such an overseeing station. More slaves are always a requirement of the empire and its people.

OOC: Anyone else wanna run for consul?

OOC: Censors were chosen from ex-consuls... nobody is able to run at this point unless Khan changes this.
However since elections for censorship were only once every 5 years for a 1,5 year period, my suggestion would be to hold these later in the game, when there have been PC consuls :)

OOC: Censors were chosen from ex-consuls... nobody is able to run at this point unless Khan changes this.
However since elections for censorship were only once every 5 years for a 1,5 year period, my suggestion would be to hold these later in the game, when there have been PC consuls :)
I keep mixing censor and consul :p

oh and anyone who wants me on some sort of chat software I'm erez87 on skype, erz87 on AIM (which isn't on most of the time) and I have names on most others just tell me in private which you prefer :p

I give my support for Consul to Tiberius Tertinius Palomachus.

Top Bottom