Korean politics- sad journey of one Yoon bug

Talk about the mess that is Korean politics here.
in one news Yoon's approval rating has reached 37%... and he has only been in office for two months!
His approval rating is almost same as Biden's approval rating.
that is just... sad.

and he is trying to kick out his party's leader Lee Jun-seok- who had been central in securing 20~30 male votes in last election.
so yeah wouldn't be surprising if his approval rating falls to 25~29% by end of July and start of August.
this is so pathetic.

Biden has a low approval rating but that doesn't mean he's a worse president.

What is actually going on?

Biden has a low approval rating but that doesn't mean he's a worse president.

What is actually going on?
Yeah but he is well into 2nd year now. The point is he got 30% rating when he is only 2 MONTHS into presidency. Not years MONTHS! This wouldn't be such a big deal if he go this in 2024... but he started his presidency this MAY and now we are in JUNE. That is way WAY too early to get this low approval rating.

That's actually not out of the ordinary :

https://morningconsult.com/global-leader-approval/

Our current PM rates at 39% for example...

People just love to disagree with things - and it is their democratic privilege after all :)
look the point is that it is only 2 MONTHS SINCE HE STARTED AS PRESIDENT! THAT IS THE POINT. If he had been 2 year old president it wouldn't be too surprising but the fact is that he is only 2 MONTHS INTO PRESIDENCY. Normally this would be a so-called "honeymoon" phase in which approval rating would be all time high- you know with hopes for new era and stuff like that but he is at the 30% already. what kind of democratically elected leader reaches 30% when he is only months old- not years but MONTHS?
Not even Trump manged to drop his rating to 30% when he has just been elected as president.

the point is that he didn't get elected in 2020 but THIS YEAR 2022! and already he is same level as Boris Johnson who had been PM for well over a year.
that's what most Korean medias are yipping about- compared to him park geun-hye reached her 30% in her first Year and moon jae-in ( God I miss him already TT) reached 30% during 2nd year.
and his responce?
"the approval ratings are meaningless... I will just work hard for people"
WTF? Is he declaring war against Korean citizens?

Last edited:
Do you have a 2-party system or a coalition system ? If the second, 30% support to start with or there about is not bad at all...
nope and what do you mean 30% isn't bad it is BAD. No Korean government before hand reached 30% in a months and thing is he is losing support FAST. it was 40% at the end of June and now in 1st week of July it has gone done to 30%... by this rate at the end of June his support would reach 20% and in August or September it could be 10%!
He started with 50% actually in May. He lost it like a balloon with a hole

If I could I want to give this song to Yoon bug. This is what majority of Korean people feels about his government right now:

In a coalition system it is to be expected the majority of the electorate supported "someone else" - so if the candidate that actually wins the PM position is still supported by 1/3 of the voters after the election that is "not bad" at all,

no reason to get all upset about it :)

In a coalition system it is to be expected the majority of the electorate supported "someone else" - so if the candidate that actually wins the PM position is still supported by 1/3 of the voters after the election that is "not bad" at all,
there is no coalition system. There is three parties in Korea right now
People's Power Party , Democratic party and justice Party. of them People's Power party and Democratic Party are two major parties with PPP being president's party now and Democratic Party being Majority in National Assembly.
Yoon Bug started with 50% and lost it to 30% within MONTHS. which is unseen in political history. Usually that happens after at least a year.
and no Korea dose NOT have PM system.
There is no coalition there is just stupidity and incompetency of Yoon bug

Soon people will protest for his resign at the rate things are going... probably in December or January next year.

Forgive me for not knowing all that - I am on the other side of the world after all, Korean politics is not exactly a hot item here....

Even a search doesn't help me much...

Is it this one ?

But does it even matter? The US president could have a 1% approval rate from Day 1 and they’re still the president with the power, and that number could change in time for Election Day. I imagine it’s the same in Korea, right?

Let's go Brandon!

I heard about the Yoon a little and the mansion kerfuffle with where he lives. I also know you really don't like him. But other than that, I don't know why?

But does it even matter? The US president could have a 1% approval rate from Day 1 and they’re still the president with the power, and that number could change in time for Election Day. I imagine it’s the same in Korea, right?
Yes because right now his party is minority in National Assembly and in order to execute his agenda he needs popularity. A government with low support wil face what is known as lame duck government.
Also Korea will have general election in 2024 in which President's party might have a chance in majority party but right now it would seem they can kiss that chance good bye.
It would seem likely that in 2024 Yoon might be powerful as Emperor of Japan if he keeps on going and real power will belong to Democratic Party.
I can see Democrats winning 200 seats in National Assembly at the rate things are going.

And no Korea does not allow multiple elections of President-only once every 5 years.

Let's go Brandon!

I heard about the Yoon a little and the mansion kerfuffle with where he lives. I also know you really don't like him. But other than that, I don't know why?
I hate him because he is stupid and incompetent....
Like certain blond old fat president.

Seems like a competent one tbh.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220728-203757.png
    Screenshot_20220728-203757.png
    612.2 KB · Views: 11
Top Bottom