La Belle Epoque PBEM

Eivind IV

Emperor
La Belle Epoque
January 1902

After the Franco-German war in 1870/71, Europe enjoyed a period of interior peace for more than forty years until the start of the First World War in 1914. During this period, many important developments took place, especially in England, France, Austria, Germany and the United States.
The second wave of the industrial revolution seized the world. Above all it concerned the chemical industry and the electrical engineering, it was the start of the era of the combustion engine and the mass production of steel, the machines became more efficient and more powerful, the ships bigger and their construction less expensive, the propulsion changed from the paddle to the screw, from the piston to the turbine, and their speed doubled. The trains got steel rails on which longer and heavier trains could drive one and a half times as fast as before; therefore it became the most important mean of transportation.
At the same time began the definite conquest of the air: The first planes were built, and the airships of Zeppelin went down in history. People living in this period were materially confident and culturally optimistic. All social classes were seized by the feeling of a new start into better times. So began, on this basis, the time which nowadays not only the French call the 'La Belle Epoque' (The beutiful time).

Civs:
1. The Russian Empire - Free
2. The Empire of Japan - Free
3. The German Empire (including Austro-Hungary) - Free
4. The French Empire - Free
5. United States of America - Voltar
6. The British Empire - Free
7. The Ottoman Empire - Free

So, anyone want to join in for some fun? I can take whatever civ :)

Here's the download:
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=95407

I have never played a PBEM game before. If you don't mind an inexperienced player in your game then I would like to join. My pick of choice would be The Ottoman Empire.

I have read the PBEM faq rules yet I do not understand this ctrl+n action that has to be performed, would either of you care to help me on this issue?

Thanks, if I get in I look forward to playing.

Eivind IV, I have noticed a few small quirks whilst observing the map and units.

First of all the standard cavalry and the turkish cavalry have identical stats except the standard cavalry are 10 shields cheaper. This makes the turkish cavarly pointless unless you forgot to add an ability to the unit.
Secondly I have noticed a unit whihc does not seem to be used. It is a turkish horseman with a green background to the shield with the Cresent and Star. Is this a barbarian unit or is it supposed to be a Ottomon unit. It does not appear in the military units viewer.
Thirdly, was the panama cannal open during this period? I don't think this map accomadates for the cannal. Then again I don't know anything about it's history so this could just be nothing.

I would appreciate it if something could be done concerning the Turkish Cavarly but I will still play if don't change it. I don't like nit picking at peoples work especially on something that you have obviously put a lot of effort in to. It is a great achievement regardless.

Hi there, Colonel,

I'm afraid that you've come to the wrong place if you want to play PBEMs. This section is dead. This very thread is a living example of that. You really should visit CGD if you want to play PBEMs ( http://www.cdgroup.org/forums/tbs/civ2/viewforum.php?f=25 ).

You're absolutely correct about the ottoman cavalry unit. As it is now it's utterly useless. And no, the panama canal was not constructed yet, it will be built by an event later in the game. And that cavalry unit with a green shield is a barbarian unit that will come by events from time to time. It's a muslim rebel unit.

I'll probably make an update to the scenario sometime in the newyears.

I was looking forward to being involved in this. Oh well, I should of checked the post dates! Well if you ever do run this scenario in a PBEM game then please let me know. I will be ready to play whenever.

Hey, Eivind, how many players do you think you actually have? I've thought about having a go at it with you but, as said, cannot seem to get it to open correctly and, what with it being this time of year (busy) I haven't looked at it since.

@CF: the CNTL-N is used with the lacyciv program, which locks your turn in, and prevents the production orders from changing, your units staring to march about on their own, etc. I know not the exact best way to describe it (don't even know how it works), but how's this? Once you save your (human) played turn, it is then shipped off to the other person/player. While that player is making their turn... THEIR cpu system 'reads' your turn as an 'AI'. So, after the last guy in line has made his/her play, your cntl-n STOPS your entire turn from simply 'cycling through', moving every unit, production order, etc, as IF it were an AI civilization.

That make any sense?

Gary

Top Bottom