Land requirement to build Space Elevator...

Artosoft

Prince
What land requirement for Space Elevator? Why I can't build Space elevator in any city? They say something like 30degree?

Regards,
Arto.

you gotta be reasonably close to the equator for it to work. I'm no astronomer, but think about it...

Considering the governmental instabilities in countries along earths equator, I don't suspect that it would be built even if we had the materials & technology to do so.

Pity. It would be nice to see mankind get off this rock in significant numbers. Start colonizing space like Gene Roddenberry envisioned.

Now where did I put my warp field generator and holodeck?

Buffbot said:
Considering the governmental instabilities in countries along earths equator, I don't suspect that it would be built even if we had the materials & technology to do so.

Pity. It would be nice to see mankind get off this rock in significant numbers. Start colonizing space like Gene Roddenberry envisioned.

But it doesn't have to be exactly on the equator does it becuase australia is a stable country and near the equator

It could be in the middle of the ocean I think. You'd just need a massive floating structure like an oil rig.

Rule Brittania said:
But it doesn't have to be exactly on the equator does it becuase australia is a stable country and near the equator

The further away it is from the equator, the more it will "wiggle"

And by "wiggle" I mean "sweap violently across the land, destroying all that is before it, back and forth like an unholy broom of divine destruction"

;)

Buffbot said:

Nah, american and britain would just claim to know about WMD's in the most convieniant country, and invade the crap out of them ;)

Buffbot said:

French Guyana would be a suitable place, it's already used for the Ariane Launcher.

jimbob27 said:
Nah, american and britain would just claim to know about WMD's in the most convieniant country, and invade the crap out of them ;)

Sounds like a good idea to me, when will they get started

Brazil is pretty stable. They could just stick it there. Of course then it would be an easy target for South American terrorists, so maybe not.

I think the original (Arthur C. Clarke) was in Sri Lanka.

Trying to bring the discussion back to CivIV.....

How can one tell if a city will be able to build it BEFORE it becomes available for building?

Or stated differently, how can I tell what Latitude my city is?

Don't think you can without enabling cheat mode. Kind of stupid really. Maybe by counting all of the squares...

And by "wiggle" I mean "sweap violently across the land, destroying all that is before it, back and forth like an unholy broom of divine destruction"
Truely legendary. Best thing said on this forum since GDRs http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=84982

Well blowguns with poisen dipped darts ARE pretty scary. Ya know

edit: referring to jimbob's post

gdgrimm said:
How can one tell if a city will be able to build it BEFORE it becomes available for building?

If a civ don't yet have the technology to build it (not even any theory), then it would also didn't know the exact requirement to build it.
But if you want to know where the equator is before learning calendar, then you should examine the orientation of the resource bubble. In the third picture of http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=175320&page=7#122 , we can tell that the two nearby spices are located at the equator.

Top Bottom