[Large Mafia August] Archetype mafia Sign-Ups

Kennigit

proud 2 boxer
Hi! As per the current mafia calendar queue, this game is intended to be hosted in August 2011 (basically, at the conclusion of ATPG Dinner party mafia game). A good description of the game can be found in the mafia queue, which posts the following:

Game Style: Multifaction game with not only an overarching mafia vs townie trend, but also factions have faction goals. Each faction is strong. An HP system is used and there are *numerous* items. HP system allows for some rather interesting game mechanics, such as healing, super-effective attacks, etc etc. There is more than 1 scum faction, and the scum factions are not aligned with each other. There may be some serial killers.

Theme: Typically, everyone is a powerful figure from either video games or Western literature. The "mafia" are the heroes/protagonists of Western literature/video games/culture while the "townies" are divided into factions largely analogous to some type of villain archetype. Think of factions as archetypes in literature (a bit). There is quite a bit of sci-fi in this game (both science fiction literature and from pop culture).

Game is extremely complex from the GM’s perspective but balanced; every faction has clear directed goals to achieve. The game may feel a bit like ATPG’s recent game on the org. There are currently 43 roles written (role PMs already written, but there will be some minor tweaks). I can cut the game to about 39 roles very easily. The ambition is to fill all the roles.

Feel free to ask any questions publicly or privately for now; I will try to answer them promptly. And you can do so in this thread as others may have the same questions as you. I am dedicated to being a prompt and clear GM on any questions you may have.

Let me remind you though that many of you probably can play multiple mafia games at once. Although this game has a lot of action, you do have a faction and other members to help you along. As long as each faction can have 1 dedicated active person, he/she can give a quick summary to the other faction members of what is going on in the thread, etc. Hopefully, you'll be drawn into the game and have fun and thus make you be active; but, if all else fails or real life makes you busy, you still can probably play. It's up to you.

Roles are assigned completely randomly.

edit 7/25- I don't think the spoilers below really address this, but rules-wise it will be a standard mafia game; private communication is allowed, you can create your own QTs if you want (please provide GM the link), no direct quoting/forwarding role PMs or any PMs from GM, no screenshots, the dead cannot reveal any new information (undecided whether I want to ban the dead from talking at all or let them talk), etc.

edit 7/31- re-examined and there is a good mix if we have 35/36 roles. I'll actually just say that it cut out a faction I had there before, but it's not too troublesome. the faction in question had some goals relating to the roles that would have been cut to drop from 43 to 39, so it would be very natural to cut them next. They would have been reworked anyways in the game with 39 roles because of this very reason.

1. Zack
2. Save_Ferris
3. landlubber
4. red_spy
5. skwink
6. civplayah
7. nedimnapoleon
8. camikaze
9. gamezrule
10. takhisis
11. verarde
12. bestrfcplayer
13. choxorn
14. autolycus
15. taillesskangaru
16. jukar-c
17. General Olaf
18. Jarrema
19. Darth Caesar
20. BSmith1068
21. classical_hero
22. sirtommygunn
23. SouthernKing
24. joecoolyo
25. civgeneral
26. yoshiegg737
27. robbiecon
28. johnhughthom
29. renata
30. romanichine
31. mechaerik
32. harkonnenII
33. backwards logic
34. remake20
35. lord OST
36. The Bake
37. ollie95

Reserves (if anyone wishes to be a reserve):

Quicker Overview of the game:
Spoiler :

This is a multifaction mafia game where there is an overarching innocent vs. mafia theme. Characters are based off of literature, movies, and some other places.

Every faction has certain objectives--the traditional "mafia" is the innocents in this game, and the traditional "innocent/townies" are the "mafia." Basically, each faction kind of is an assortment of villains, and the “bad” guys are the heros/protagonists trying to wipe them all out. During the day lynches and item votes will be held, and during the night kills will be done as well as other night actions.

It is important that you play the game suggested to you in your Faction PM. As a multifaction game, many factions have "enemies"--that is, factions that you are supposed to eliminate. Remember, everyone is "evil" in this game-- the townies are villains too. You should be very reluctant to reveal information to people not in your faction-- remember, there are scum hiding among you (ie. some cover roles will be used), and you never know who is trying to kill you or steal your items.

However, in case people get confused by the reversal of mafia/innocents, I will also refer to everything as Red vs. Blue with a "voting/day phase" and an "action/night" phase. Innocents (the scum) are Blue, and Mafia are Red. Day will last 48 hours and night 24, as per your standard mafia game.

So,
Vote phase/Day: 48 hours
Action Phase/Night: 24 hours
Anti-Town: Innocents/Blu
Town: Mafia/Red
The majority of you are Red. The scum are blue

Unlike typical mafia games here at cfc, this game incorporates an HP system. HP stands for Hit Points--your health bar. The role PM format will be like so:

Name/Role:
Faction:
Abilities:
Items (if you begin with items):

Background story: Every character will have a background story for the role, whether it's humorous or educational. Pretty much every role is a character from “somewhere,” whether it is a book or otherwise. The background story/the character is relevant to the role in the game (I will use the example of Mr. Freeze sometimes, from batman, in the following text. He is not a character in the game)

Hit Points/HP (out of 20):
Strength/STR (out of 10):
Personal Goal/PG:

Faction PM:
Faction quicktopic link (if applicable):

Just about every single person has an ability. There are many items in the game that do various things. I won't tell you what the items are exactly or how many there are, but with an HP system you can imagine there are some healing abilities/ways to reduce damage. Many abilities are tied to items as well; they aren’t all just “+1 STR” or simple modifiers.

Naturally, some items mean something to some people while can mean almost nothing to others. Items will also be classified as a passive effect or as an active effect—basically, you can’t just be using like 10 items at the same time

longer overview of the game

Spoiler :

The basics

Voting phase/Day: Vote with highest tally wins; this includes the first day. These are votes for lynches/items/other. This period lasts for 48 hours; some of you may have some Day abilities. Lynching will do 25 damage to a person; this means that with some modifiers/abilities/items people can just simply survive a lynch

Action Phase/Night: Attacks are made, thieves attempt to steal, scans occur, etc. 24 hours. Standard Procedure.

The Scum are Blue.
Most people are therefore Red.

Role reveals and alignment are revealed upon permanent death. This includes cover roles

This is a multifaction game and you will have to figure out a lot of stuff. But it won't be chaotic for you individually—you hopefully will have clear objectives, goals, and abilities. You are to think of the game as "follow my faction, kill the scum (aka Blue)". The game is over when either a Scum Factions have achieved their victory conditions or when all The Scum factions are elimated. Do note that no scum faction has an “obtain X amount of items” victory condition; however, I will not comment on whether items factor into the scum victory conditions or not.

The HP system and Combat (this is tentative for now)

HP- The game uses a Hit Point system, which will now be explained a bit better:

So, with an HP system, attacks do "damage." Injured characters take 133% damage from attacks. For characters that have attacking abilities, there are two types of attacks that are specified to you.

1) Strength based attacks: These attacks are based on the strength of the attacker/defender and any modifiers that come with it. The attacker will have the advantage:

STR > victim: full damage done; injury could occur to defendant
STR = victim: 66% damage done to victim, 20% to self; injury could occur to defendant
STR 1 less than victim: 40% done to victim, 30% to self; attacker is injured
STR 2 less than victim: 20% done to victim, 40% to self; attacker is injured and injury is made public
STR 3 less than victim: attack fails; 20% done to self (no injury, as the attacker would flee upon knowing he would lose the battle). The person who would have been attacked is not notified of anything.
If protection occurs: attack fails, no result happens. The person who gets attacked will not be notified of anything. The protector will not necessarily get a guarantee that their protection was successful

2) Specialty attacks: Specialty attacks are often based off of items, but the nature of a specialty attack is specified individually. These do not rely on the strength system, and damage is determined elsewise.

The HP system allows for an interesting methods of healing, attacking, damage, damage-reducers, items, etc. It allows for poisonings, bleeding, regeneration of health, deterioration of some characters if they do not complete their goals (getting weaker over time), strengthening of some characters, etc. It allows for modifiers, such as items that may reduce damage taken, etc.

The HP system and Combat- Super Effectiveness

This game allows for a system of Super Effectiveness and to accommodate the idea of factions having "enemies":

Characters/Factions may be weak to some types of attacks or may be resistant to some types of attacks (note: this can include both strength attacks and specialty attack. By resistance/weakness, I mean it could be weak to a character who does an “ice attack” or something like that from a freeze ray. This example is made up and is NOT in the actual game). Factions or Characters that have "enemies" (pretty much most factions, as every faction is competing for something) will do twice as much damage to their "enemies" or if the faction is weak to that type of attack. In effect, they are "Super Effective." Some characters have attacks, but the attacks are weak against everyone except for their enemies-- naturally, their goal is to get rid of their enemy.

It makes the game more complex, and I think contributes to the central idea of having a multi-faction game.

Inactivity status and WOGing

I don't want people to go inactive, or even if they are active, feel they are just "floating around," with no clear objective besides "PG: survive until end of game. Victory Condition: Innocent victory. Abilities- once per game you may scan someone. Items: none." This game has almost everyone with an ability, and by being paired up with a faction, helps guides your game to clearly defined goals. And, you have allies to supposedly back you up. No one should be feeling "left out" or just sitting around waiting for something to happen.

Now, with this game having many factions and items, it gives excitement in that information is hard to come by. And you never know who is secretly against you--there are many underlying, intertwining relationships between characters/factions. By basing this game with having everyone be evil (even the Innocents are evil), it allows for thievery, deception, attacking, etc. There should be much excitement in the game, but it will not be too chaotic-- your faction/character will have clear goals to follow, and you have a faction to discuss and be active with in the game.

Basically, I am trying to say the game is attempted to be designed to discourage inactivity, and you have team mates that can summarize events for you a bit. However, we know that inactivity always happens. Therefore, WOGing will automatically occur if you miss 3 votes in a row; WOGing will be a bit hesitant otherwise.

Items

In any game with items, I think your interest should naturally be sparked. There are many items that are in the game that do various things. Most of you will have some exposure to items at the start, and I hope you realize that the items are cool and fun and you will then pursue them vigorously. Many of you will have goals to get "your" item, and every faction will have an opportunity to have a "thief". As mentioned before, abilities may be tied to the items, and the items are all pretty much associated with a character in the game. For example, if Mr. Freeze (from batman) was in the game, he may have a Freeze ray that I capable of an ice attack, that perhaps only some of the characters could use (note: this example continues the example from earlier, and it is NOT in the game. It is made up).

Remember, even though it is Red vs. Scum/ Blue, the factions and individuals might be competing with each other-- you should want to steal from/kill your faction's "enemy," you should want items, you may need items to unlock your abilities, etc.

Items also contribute to the multifaction aspect, as many factions are looking for “their” items. To get them, they have to steal, or kill, trade for them, or some other means.

And, items may mean different things to different people. So, you may be going after "your" item, but someone else may think it is also "their" item. For example, Mr Freeze may want his “freeze gun”, but Dr. Horrible (from Dr. Horrible’s sing along Blog) may be looking for the “freeze ray” as well (neither of these characters are in the game. This is a continuation of previous examples). Factions and individuals again will compete against each others for items.

There will be items up for vote on the very first day. Also note that pretty much every faction has a “thief” that is capable of stealing items, and thieving attempts are generally a percentage based ability.

Items will be classified as having an “Active” or “passive” effect to the recipient individually. Basically, if they is an item that gives +1 STR it may be passive, meaning you don’t have to “use” it. A healing item will typically be “active”, meaning that is the only item you can use during the phase. What may be “active” to one person may be “passive” to another, and one person may “be better” with a certain item than another (ie. perhaps Mr. Freeze can use his freeze ray passively, but if his team mate on the batman faction The Penguin wants to use it, it is active. In addition, The Penguin only can do half as much damage as Mr. Freeze could). Please note these are made up examples and are not in the game). Since abilities are also tied to items, it also limits the amount of

Scoring and some notes on theme

I don't know yet. It's not as clear cut as something like zack and choxorn’s Star Wars was, which was like 60% victory, 30% PG, 10% survival. And that's because this game has certain events that will trigger other events; as factions get eliminated, your goals may change. But like I said somewhere here before, your primary objective is to kill the scum and follow the details of your faction (for the scum, it’s pretty much follow your own faction goals).

The game does not require any roleplaying, but your character’s motives and faction is consistent with his or her respective literary source. Hence the factions are divided a bit like “archetypes”—not all factions are truly an archetype and some may be a collection of things (like The Joker, Mr. Freeze, and The penguin on the “batman” faction. Please note that none of those characters are in the game; it is a continuation of the Mr. Freeze example), but some are.

This game has the added excitement of a new HP system, items, thievery, deception, competition, secret motives, hopefully awesome abilities, cool storylines, and hopefully humor at every turn. This game will hopefully be awesome and fun. That shouldn't be a problem. And it may be very educational to you, in the sense that you may enjoy the very consistent storylines/items paired with characters. And you may enjoy the intertwining of the characters of different factions.

I'm fourth. There is no way to say in with fourth.

I normally don't like games that are this complicated, but hell. In!

I... Am... I... N...

Well, my birthdayin' is over so I can be…

IN FOR THE WIN!

Kennigit, I must say, I am really looking forward to this. This promises to be a most interesting game, and I cannot wait for it to begin!

Innage. I've been waiting for a year, how could I not join?

I'm gonna be gone the first couple days of August, BTW.

Top Bottom