Late Game Conquest

With regards to Autocracy in particular I see it as having a specific problem: Any civ that is a heavy warmonger is going to have a bazillion cities by Industrial and would benefit just as much or more from Order. The only way an Industrial Era military tree is a good choice is one where you have a small empire but plan on conquering - starting in the Industrial era. :p

If Autocracy was available in the Renaissance I think it would see a ton more use. I often find myself spending until the end of the Medieval era getting my core cities set up and then wanting to expand in the midgame. I don't know if having only one tree unlock at Industrial is right but I know that having Autocracy one era sooner would fix it for me without any other adjustments - it also fits pretty nicely opposite Freedom both thematically and mechanically.

As far as the general problem with snowballing I think there is a general solution that is hard to implement. The general problem as I see it is that the investment required to conquer a single city is hardly any different from the investment required to conquer the entire world *for the human player*. If an AI wants to conquer the world they need a bazillion units to replace their losses in combat. The player does not as their units just get more powerful with time and hardly ever die!

Imagine this scenario: When you attack an AI city with 8 units you expect to lose 3-4 of them taking it and then you have to build new ones. This is a very natural and powerful brake on conquest as you have to give up building infrastructure to build new units for each city you take. There wouldn't be much need to have a complex set of penalties applied to puppets / annexed cities because the cost comes up front. So how do we get from here to there?

The major issues are:
1. Massively promoted human units.
2. Human units that heal their damage and never actually die.
3. Human use of ranged units to avoid ever taking damage.

We can't remove healing (trust me, the AI can't deal with it) and even making healing really slow penalizes the AI a ton because it doesn't understand. If we could just remove healing entirely we could solve this problem because both humans and AIs would take combat losses all the time but that isn't feasible.

We can however mitigate the incredible promotion potential that human controlled units have. If the experience per combat for melee was lowered to 2 and ranged to 1 we would see much less promoted units and much less steamrolling. This would allow units that were built from Barracks etc. to be much more competitive and would mean that the human player has much smaller combat edge, in particular delaying level 5 where the really brutal promotions kick in.

Another way to accomplish the same goal is to remove upgrade paths from units. If you could not suddenly have 6 longswords the same turn you research Steel it would be much more difficult to steamroll. This would prevent excessive collection of promotions and would also force conquerors to continually make new troops, delaying conquest and providing a real cost for a continuing warfare.

The ranged unit problem is tricky. You could of course just nerf all ranged units but there is another way - reduce all of their ranges by one (presumably buffing their combat strength a little to compensate). This is a pretty crazy change and would have a lot of balance repercussions but it would certainly prevent the human from exploding 37 enemy units while taking no losses. It would make taking cities much harder because siege units would have to walk up next to a city and would mean that the player would have to be right up in the enemies faces all the time which pretty much guarantees combat losses.

I think by far the simplest solution is to reduce XP earned from combat if you want to brake conquest. It isn't a complete fix but it certainly reduces the speed of the snowball. Removing upgrade paths is more serious in terms of strategy changes but honestly works fine - I tested it a bunch myself and liked it pretty well. The AI occasionally ends up with a bunch of spearmen in the Industrial era but it sometimes does that even when it *can* upgrade them.

TL;DR - I think that rather than making conquest bad you should try to make conquest cost a lot instead. Right now it is nearly free once you get going and that is the core of the problem.

If Autocracy was available in the Renaissance I think it would see a ton more use.

As far as the general problem with snowballing I think there is a general solution that is hard to implement.

The major issues are:
1. Massively promoted human units.
2. Human units that heal their damage and never actually die.
3. Human use of ranged units to avoid ever taking damage.

Another way to accomplish the same goal is to remove upgrade paths from units.

I think by far the simplest solution is to reduce XP earned from combat if you want to brake conquest.

Moving Autocracy to Renaissance only increases the snowball effect, but your following suggestions for slowing it down all make a lot of sense. Even if we skip over altering range (since it would be hard to do and possibly no fun at all), focusing on lowering promotions and banning upgrades would really help. The question they raise is: do they make the game less fun, even if more competitive? Just how much do we enjoy playing with highly promoted units? (I do know VEM players overwhelmingly play on a level where they generally win.)

Still, this is the mirror alternative/complement to my proposal (indirectly increasing the size and quality of AI armed forces.)

Moving Autocracy to Renaissance only increases the snowball effect, but your following suggestions for slowing it down all make a lot of sense. Even if we skip over altering range (since it would be hard to do and possibly no fun at all), focusing on lowering promotions and banning upgrades would really help. The question they raise is: do they make the game less fun, even if more competitive? Just how much do we enjoy playing with highly promoted units? (I do know VEM players overwhelmingly play on a level where they generally win.)

Still, this is the mirror alternative/complement to my proposal (indirectly increasing the size and quality of AI armed forces.)

The only way to avoid social policies making warfare easier is to not have warfare trees - which is a pretty big set of changes. If we have a warfare tree I would like it to be in a place where it is used sometimes but not always, which I think would be the case for Autocracy in Renaissance and is not the case now. We could aim for every tree to look like the current vanilla Order tree - a couple combat policies and a bunch of other stuff. It is an idea, not sure how I feel about it.

Altering range is actually very easy to do from a technical perspective and I tried doing it so I know it is still a fun game. It felt like my ranged units were much less able to mow down unlimited enemy troops since they actually felt vulnerable; which is precisely the point.

I am sure a lot of people really enjoy tearing the AI apart with highly promoted units. I sure do! I think the ability to do this really creates a lot of undesirable effects on the rest of the game however. I enjoyed buying five Maritime city states and having +15 food for each city in my empire back when CiV launched but it was bad for the game as a whole - I got used to the Maritime nerf and now I like things much better. I think an XP reduction would be the same.

Altering range is actually very easy to do from a technical perspective and I tried doing it so I know it is still a fun game. It felt like my ranged units were much less able to mow down unlimited enemy troops since they actually felt vulnerable; which is precisely the point.

I am sure a lot of people really enjoy tearing the AI apart with highly promoted units. I sure do! I think the ability to do this really creates a lot of undesirable effects on the rest of the game however. I enjoyed buying five Maritime city states and having +15 food for each city in my empire back when CiV launched but it was bad for the game as a whole - I got used to the Maritime nerf and now I like things much better. I think an XP reduction would be the same.

Someone else recently mentioned altering the range dynamic (in that case, it was lowering the artillery range). That approach or yours a radical change, but like the XP reduction, could very well make warfare a much slower proposition. You're probably right that most of us would come to be comfortable with it... but man is it a change form vanilla!

We can however mitigate the incredible promotion potential that human controlled units have. If the experience per combat for melee was lowered to 2 and ranged to 1 we would see much less promoted units and much less steamrolling. This would allow units that were built from Barracks etc. to be much more competitive and would mean that the human player has much smaller combat edge, in particular delaying level 5 where the really brutal promotions kick in.

Yes, but promotions are fun. And we want fun, sadly ;)

I like your ideas, but I do think we should wait to see what effects the rebalancing of the last few betas has. For example, I'm curious to see how the "AI spends surplus" gold will affect the units it has. That money should primarily be used for upgrading their old units which could make a big difference.

Historically speaking, conquest wasn't that difficult: Alexander, Genghis and Napoleon all agree. What was difficult was keeping the empire afterwards. And this is the main problem I have since after conquering I don't ever pay attention to the conquered lands again. Or just every other turn I'll scroll over it. I'm conquering the world, I don't have time to micromanage everything after all. If one had to spend ressources to keep the conquered lands, that would change.

To achieve this, you can either add costs to single cities so that it's best not to conquer too many (something like each occupied-no-courthouse gives -1% of science and income, every puppet 0.5%), but that doesn't sound like fun to me. Or you could have rebellions since those are what brought the empires down: Kublai Khan became Chinese, the Golden Horde became independent, The Ptolemaens and Seleucids had pretty big discussions, Napoleon had to visit Switzerland twice and the Prussians rose from the Ashes of the Napoleonic Conquest stronger than before.

Rhye's and Fall of Civilization had a stability system, which I thought was perfect. But the vanilla game works differently, people want to be able to conquer the whole world. And they have to for conquest victory. One could have rebellions as opportunities/events, being triggered by conquered enemy capitals (and cities with wonders in them) every x turn, so you have to keep an army there. But that's whack-a-mole. You know they are gonna turn up, just need units there = not fun. But maybe worth it. Just need to find a way where it's not so surprising, its frustrating (5 cavalry and 2 cannos spawn beside a single city where you cannot bring units to in under 10 turns) and it's not too easy (1 cavalry and one cannon).

If the main problem is conquest comes too early, maybe we just need to delay it? War Weariness may be a solution here. Is there a possibility to have a hidden building giving one anger for every turn you are at war, vanishing when peace is declared? Preferably, only for wars of aggresion? Together with the Peace Blocks, this would force you to take the empires not one by one but to have several wars. Might be annoying though. This can scale with era as well so that it's much harder to fight in the ancient era than later, pushing fights back, if we want that for a gameplay reason.

If everything fails, why not a hard cap on conquered capitals per era? (I really guess that's not possible). Or we can up the Guerilla effect for enemy capitals, giving the AI civs a temporary free Great Wall if f.e. two cities of them get conquered in 5 turns or whatever trigger we can find...

So short summary:
1) Make the AI spend it's surplus gold first/to a big degree with upgrading its units.
2) Conquered Lands should not be safe, somehow.
3) Add War Weariness, if possible
4) Delay conquest...

Yes, but promotions are fun. And we want fun, sadly ;)

So short summary:
1) Make the AI spend it's surplus gold first/to a big degree with upgrading its units.
2) Conquered Lands should not be safe, somehow.
3) Add War Weariness, if possible

We're all hoping #1 works out that way.

#2 would probably be fun, although not a major obstacle.

#3 is potentially a fix, in that it would work, and doesn't seem like an artificial brake. It begs for a trigger based on Policy Tree choice: for example, any choice in a later-game tree besides Autocracy triggers the WW effect.

Someone else recently mentioned altering the range dynamic (in that case, it was lowering the artillery range). That approach or yours a radical change, but like the XP reduction, could very well make warfare a much slower proposition. You're probably right that most of us would come to be comfortable with it... but man is it a change form vanilla!

And reducing XP from combat would help the AI in another way, because they already get bonus promotions per era in addition to the military buildings so the AI could rapidly replace their army with highly promoted units.

On the other hand units with march, blitz, and indirect fire are loads of fun. In one game as England I had about 4-5 longbowmen with almost every promotion that were basically wasting far superior enemy forces. Is there another way to slow down conquest without making it impossible to have these fun promotions (perhaps one of the late game military buildings increases the XP gain of units produced in that city?)?

On another thought, would an additional partisan help the snowballing? Or base the number on the range to the capital city?

I think this problem is mostly related to AI and fixing it better will get mostly rid of steamroll effect. I will divide problem in the two different AI problems:

1) Noticing when someone is steamrolling. I am not sure exactly how good AI is in this but I am working on this at the moment. Mostly this is related to AI's opinion and its cooperation. So basically what should happen is some sort of AI alliance which will slow the steamroll.

2) General economic problem of AI. This problem is basically that AI cannot replace its units after they die before you capture their cities. This is due not enough production (cities/ population/ production buildings). Default AI builds early on a lot of units neglecting almost everything else. For example, vanilla AI chooses most commonly culture victory, tradition, OCC, warrior/ spearman rush combo and barbarians gets their workers and settlers. After that AI really isn't competitive. I may exaggerate this a bit but hopefully you get my point.

Joltis

More HP's. I am coincidentally testing 50 HPs for units and 100 HPs for cities, just to have a feel of the upcoming G&K, and results are interesting. It obviously delays early conquest by a lot, making for a longer and more competitive game, and makes mid to late conquest as hard as early now is. Plus, combat becomes interesting because most units fight a lot more without being destroyed. Perhaps worth the try.

All I will say, please don't change the courthouse back.

I hate hate HATE that courthouses in the core game has an upkeep. To me, if a conquer a city, 1000 years later it should just be a part of the empire, I should not be worse off than if I just settled a city there. I am fine with a big build period, a large purchase cost, etc. But once the building is done, that city should be good to go, not have a permanent drain.

I have no idea if this is possible, can you alter unit upkeep cost (or perhaps mess with the supply number) based on the number of occupied cities?

The primary reasons that war machines stop in real life is often due to supply lines. Its hard to conquer places half way around the world. You could model it where the more occupied/puppet cities you have the more expensive your troops are to maintain.

As you better establish your supply lines (turn your conquered cities into normal ones), your units upkeep cost goes down.

I think this problem is mostly related to AI and fixing it better will get mostly rid of steamroll effect. I will divide problem in the two different AI problems:

1) Noticing when someone is steamrolling. I am not sure exactly how good AI is in this but I am working on this at the moment. Mostly this is related to AI's opinion and its cooperation. So basically what should happen is some sort of AI alliance which will slow the steamroll.

I think it would help, but not that much, because the AI can't distinguish meaningfully between the human warmonger and an AI one. The AI sometimes dogpiles overly aggressive civs - human or not.

2) General economic problem of AI. This problem is basically that AI cannot replace its units after they die before you capture their cities. This is due not enough production (cities/ population/ production buildings).

This is why I suggested raising the AI production rate some more on an era by era basis.

More HP's. I am coincidentally testing 50 HPs for units and 100 HPs for cities, just to have a feel of the upcoming G&K, and results are interesting. It obviously delays early conquest by a lot, making for a longer and more competitive game, and makes mid to late conquest as hard as early now is. Plus, combat becomes interesting because most units fight a lot more without being destroyed. Perhaps worth the try.

This is interesting, and Thal may also already have experience with it.

As someone who almost exclusively conquers, I strongly disagree with lowering XP. That is not only less fun, but also does not provide much of a handicap to the Player. While overpromoted units do help the snowball effect, the entire problem is centred on one issue: the abysmal AI.

The most difficult part of war in CiV - in fact, the only real difficult part - is dealing with the first army that the opponent has. That is, whether defending or attacking, the AI relies on the units it has already made pre-war. They are usually vastly underpromoted (The AI has no idea how to send different units out to Barbs to train) and outdated (The AI seems to have a phobia of upgrading).

Dealing with this first army is only difficult because of the sheer number of units, usually matching or greater than the player's own army. The AI still has no idea what to do, mind you. So it just sends its units at you, you pick them off, they retreat and you chase + kill them. And then you've won the war.

Once invaded, and once the initial build-up of units the AI creates is dealt with, the AI just cannot deal with the war. It creates the wrong units, sends units out from safety to get massacred, and acts stupid in general. The rest of the conflict is simply a grind against cities and their garrison, and not fun whatsoever.

And this is for a neighbourly war. A war at distance, or over sea? Just forget about the enemy, as they'll never get to you, and even when they do, they'll act just as stupid as when defending.

The cold hard truth is that there is no fix. The AI is simply bad when it comes to war. All of the above suggestions - war weariness, less promotions, guerillas appearing, etc. - only serve to hamper the player and delay the inevitable, making war even more of a grind, not to mention make the game less fun.

So what is my suggestion? Leave it as is: It may be easy, but until Firaxis fixes it, it's as fun as it will ever be.

I agree with Albie, the cure is the AI - not making conquest an unfun grind.

The solution seems to be to get the AI to spend its money, that is the only way to replace troops. Building them with hammers takes too long.

If there was a way to get the AI to send groups of units into battle instead of piecemeal that would help a lot. If that is not possible, maybe giving the AI partisan units at their capitol whenever they lose a city would help. If they pop up at the conquered city they will either get cut down immediately by the army or else they will kill off your units in a gamey fashion that would be unfun. If four or five units appeared at the capitol, then the could proceed to the battle as a unit and perhaps make it more challanging.

Currently, once you kill the first army there is not anything left. Maybe giving the AI free defensive buildings at every era would help, but this might make AI-AI wars more anemic than they already are. Maybe giving the AI free siege units every city with free upgrades could compensate.

It seems like the consensus is we want to change the AI (mostly in the game core), and not make conquest more of a grind. I'm okay with this. Perhaps as a short-term solution to make Autocracy more appealing, it can unlock in the Renaissance era, even if unrealistic? If or when the AI is improved by Firaxis we could return it to the Industrial era.

@joltis
If you do find a way to make the AI specifically target the human more that's be fantastic. :goodjob: I've searched around the AI variables and run experiments without much success.

@Aristos
I would be okay with reducing damage to make battles slower. Vem cannot scale up hitpoints further at this time because the variable which controls minimum damage is in the game core only Firaxis has access to. Raising hitpoints without altering that variable would produce the wrong effect, by making steamrolling easier against tech-inferior forces. Firaxis scaled up hitpoints and damage further than Vem can because they have access to that variable. The principle is the same, however.

@Stalker0
I feel the same way about the courthouse, but wanted to explore all options.

If that is not possible, maybe giving the AI partisan units at their capitol whenever they lose a city would help.
This is already in the mod. I could buff the partisans if you feel they're not strong enough, but it would also make AI-AI wars slower too. I could make partisans only appear in human-AI wars, though it might be immersion-breaking.

Thal, I feel partisans are strong enough. And regarding Autocracy, I am in favour of it being open in Renaissance. The Renaissance isn't gotten to that late depending on what techs the player rushes for, and so can make late conquests more appealing.

One request to make it more historically fitting is a rename to 'Nationalism'. Nationalist ideals in history, whether the aggresive Pan-Germanism of Bismarck, the nationalist policies of the English Empire abroad, or the Russification of the Soviet Union, have all been centred on increasing the happiness of their 'true' citizens while quashing the dissent of those who do not integrate. They are also historically militaristic, examples being German Weltpolitik, Serbian Pan-Slavism and Japanese aggression in East Asia. This makes the name change very appropriate, based on its effects. Nationalism also arose in the late Renaissance, with the unification of Italy, the French Revolution, and the expansion of the British Empire.

Plus, 'Autocracy' is very broad. Monarchies (Tradition), Empires (Honour) and old-school Papacies (Piety) are all autocracies, after all!

Anyway, on a gameplay note: Is it yet possible to affect AI - AI diplomacy? If the AI were to use defensive pacts more frequently, it would make conquest both harder and more fun. While attacking an AI is easy, doing so while defending against a neighbouring AI is much harder - and much more fun!

(PS: I'm very excited and grateful that conquest is getting touched up, from both this discussion and the Naval overhaul. Military-minded folk like me often miss out in Civ.)

@Thal, that's a shame. AI military alliances would make the game much more interesting, and I've never seen one occur in-game.

My final addition to the conversation: Is it also possible to detect when war is declared and by whom, and detect relative strength values between Civs? What I'm envisioning here is an intelligent system where, if an AI declares war, they recieve a number of offensive units (Seige, Vanguard, possibly Melee) where the number is based on the relative strength of the AI declaring war and the one being declared on (Importantly, no distinction is made between AI / Human here), so if the aggressor already has a larger army, they recieve plenty of support, however, if the defender has a larger army or an army of equal strength, they do not. Such a system would combat the player snowballing by allowing an aggressive, yet productive and successful AI to snowball right back, and challenge them to a conquest victory legitimately!

This idea comes from a simple observation: Aggressive AI's (Monty, Catherine, and Oda are the usual suspects) follow a consistent pattern of becoming slightly stronger than a neighbour, declaring war, and being in said war for thousands of years, destroying any chance of a later victory. Giving them those few extra seige units would make all the difference. Why should we give bonuses to the AI for every victory but conquest, severely hindering the warmongering Civs?

I know this is an unorthodox idea, likely unpopular, and probably not even feasable. But I thought I'd put it out there regardless, and hope it causes some discussion. Importantly, it's an idea that would make conquest more fun and challenging while making long-term conquest no more grindy, due to the AI only getting a bonus when being the aggressor. While we can't make the AI good - that's Firaxis's problem - we can give them a fighting chance when being on the attack, making the odds of a lategame military 'superpower' - something I so sorely miss from Civ IV - more likely.

@joltis
If you can find a way to make the AI specifically target the human more that's be fantastic. :goodjob: I've searched around the AI variables and run experiments without much success.

Sorry no. And I think reactions toward AI and human should be same. I call that kind of tweak lazy AI programming (forcing results instead of balancing). AI code is anyway full of lazy programming in this sense and I have been mostly cutting them.

You could check my mod. I have been dealing with various problems related to AI production. It is not perfect but AI would have less units but more production/ science/ cities/ worked tiles etc. As I said earlier vanilla AI goes to culture victory, tradition, OCC, warrior/ spearman rush combo and barbarians gets their workers and settlers.

One way to balance warfare is to get rid of strategic resources because AI is terrible with workers. Second thing which is actually possible is to increase threshold of AI thinking your army is terrible puny. Third thing is to tweak peace offering/ acceptance which gives shorter wars between AI.

I think AI cannot bride to war but instead gives alliances.

@albie
Militaristic AIs do get significant military bonuses: experience, sight range, gold, and extra starting units. There is a WarStateChanged event available to us, but it is not used anywhere in vanilla so the parameters are unknown. Based on my experience with other such events, I strongly suspect it only activates for the human player, so it would not be useful to detect when AIs declare war on each other.

@joltis
Oh, I misinterpreted your earlier statements. The changes you describe are mostly in place (except removing strategic resources from the game).

Top Bottom