• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

Latin as the universal European language

I like the idea of Latin being the universal language of Europe.

• Total voters
Besides, there's so many modern words like "internet" that only exist in English.

Might not be the best example since one half of that word is directly stolen from Latin.

edit: it's not a good argument either. You can just make up new words anyway. Or borrow. Internet is internet in French too.

Besides, there's so many modern words like "internet" that only exist in English.

The Living Latin movement and the Catholic Church still use Latin to the extent that one could carry on a conversation about pretty much any subject using Latin. See The Vatican Dictionary of Modern Latin.
I recently gained employment as a Latin tutor and I enjoy studying Latin, so I support this for silly, selfish, and utterly impractical reasons.

They'd have to make a simplified form of it, because it's too bloody difficult.
Esperanto? ;)

Well, I've had Latin as a second "foreign" language until the end of school (what? I had to avoid French), so I'd t least get a few good laughs at everyone who already hated reading Caesar. But seriously, make it English, everything else is just impractical.

Aw come on, dudes! Have some class, ffs! Tsk-tsk-tsk... People these days... Traders, not romantics.

Also, it would be the greatest social engineering project ever. You'd have to actually force an entire generation of Europeans to learn this language and actively use it, which means you'd have to create content online in this "eurolatin" for people to read/watch/play with.

Plenty of awesome content had already been made in the time of glorious past. It's too superior to modern pop-trash (mainly in English) to even bother to compare.

Link to video.

So, the romantic in me says "yes", the realist says "fat chance" :)

Tell the romantic I say "hi".

(But we could try to create some sort of universal "Slavic" for easier communication between our many nations, so far as it is written in LATIN ALPHABET :D )

Nah, Latin maybe universally recognizable, but Cyrillic is awesomer, no contest. In case we have a unified state, we should have something unique about us in everything, including the writing system :mischief: Besides, imo, Latin isn't suited for Slavic phonetics: you have to make up a tonn of diactrical signs, "szcz" :crazyeye: and all that. And anyway you end up with, for example, the "c" in Serbian not being the "c" in Polish, and not being "с" in Romanian, Irish or English, so not much unification and no uniqueness in the end.

Now in God-given magnificent Cyrillic script, in which angels communicate in Heaven, you have striclty one distinctively looking character per one sound, no diactrical signs (bar "й" and "ё", but they are fully functional letters rather than diactricals) and a high general level of kickassiveness, compared to other scripts.

Besides, as one of the X century monk stated in his teachings, unlike the Greek and Latin scripts, than were made by pagans, Cyrillic was constructed by holy fathers, was officially approved by both the Patriarch of Constantinople and the Pope of Rome, after which liturgy in Slavic was officially allowed (first language after Hebrew, Greek and Latin). Why, oh why, didn't you end up using it anyway, silleh Moravians? ;) We could be ruling the world by now.

Have you tried Slovio, by the way?

Yeah, 'cause all the important modern words like "file", "computer", "communicator","phone ","mobile", "processor", "information" etc are ttly English.

Aside from the obvious practical difficulties of making everyone learn Latin... why would you even think this is a good idea?

Well, it's just a suggestion. One more bond to bring Europeans together (turns out in hating Latin, but that's good too :mischief:). In the matters of nation building parcticality isn't everything, imo. Some background and class counts too.

I mean, you might as well just be like "Italian is the new universal language because it's way cooler than German or Russian".

That would be an outright blasphemy.

Now in God-given magnificent Cyrillic script, in which angels communicate in Heaven, you have striclty one distinctively looking character per one sound, no diactrical signs (bar "й" and "ё", but they are fully functional letters rather than diactricals) and a high general level of kickassiveness, compared to other scripts.

Besides, as one of the X century monk stated in his teachings, unlike the Greek and Latin scripts, than were made by pagans, Cyrillic was constructed by holy fathers, was officially approved by both the Patriarch of Constantinople and the Pope of Rome, after which liturgy in Slavic was officially allowed (first language after Hebrew, Greek and Latin). Why, oh why, didn't you end up using it anyway, silleh Moravians? ;) We could be ruling the world by now.
You do know that God created the Roman Empire to serve as the fertile for his religion? And if whatever alphabet they were using was good enough for God, it's definitely good for you too! :p

HRE is fine, but there's this little thingy about it: instead of following the ways of the True Christian Faith of the holy fathers of Constantinople, they were entirely based upon the false rites of the Latin heresy :mischief:

You do know that God created the Roman Empire to serve as the fertile for his religion? And if whatever alphabet they were using was good enough for God, it's definitely good for you too! :p

God has communicated to diverse peoples in diverse ways, but since he has given Moscow, the Third and Final Rome, precedence over all other cities, perhaps we ought to consider its script, created by the hands of His Holy Evangelists, as having precedence over others.

Latin is too far removed from English to be considered a serious contributor to the language IMO.

God has communicated to diverse peoples in diverse ways, but since he has given Moscow, the Third and Final Rome, precedence over all other cities, perhaps we ought to consider its script, created by the hands of His Holy Evangelists, as having precedence over others.

Words of Truth. Thou hast spoken it.

Latin is too far removed from English to be considered a serious contributor to the language IMO.

If you remove all words in your quote that are influenced by Latin, the remaining words would be "too", "to", "be" and "the".

Thats not really the case though is it? Latin influenced early French which then changed and morphed into it's own tongue and then it came to England and then it morphed with Anglo-Saxon language to form English. It's too far away, too far removed from my language, it's been filtered and funnelled through too many other languages to mark it out as substaintially effecting English. Spanish, French, Romanian and others have better claims to that.

Many words in English - perhaps the majority - came directly from Latin, as Latin was an important science language. Philosophers and scientists would often borrow from Latin when they found themselves unable to articulate their ideas and points with English words.

Yes, French had an important influence on English, and alot of Latin influence in English came from French, but that doesn't away that Latin was an important direct influence on modern day English as well.

Dutch is a made up language.

That's what happened in Sword of the Stars so sure, let's do it. Plus, I don't live in Europe so I don't have to go through the trouble of learning it.

I am starting to get the impression that you are a walking library for arbitrary real-world-scenarios reflected in PC games.

That would be a correct impression.

This has already happened. Latin was the (unofficial) universal European language during the Middle Ages and beyond. At one time, most European vernaculars didn't even have written languages, so Latin was the only way to publish anything. It was especially required if you needed to write for an international audience. Isaac Newton was still publishing in Latin in the 17th century. It did not result in any special sense of unity, either cultural or political. If anything, it probably created more alienation, as only those who had the education in Latin, which were the upper class, could read this arcane language in a practical manner.

To be fair, at a time when making one bible required parchment from 400 lambskins, having everything written in a language only the wealthy could understand was a relatively miniscule concern.

Top Bottom