[LP] Leader Spotlight: Wu Zetian

I love the ability they gave her, this is such an interesting playstyle for China. Looks like I had no reason to worry about the new leaders synergizing with their Civs- Wu Zetian's ability synergizes perfectly! I mean, look at it!

LUA:

See what I mean!
I think mine is better. :p
Leader Ability: Secret Police- Cities with spies acting in them gain +1 Amenity. When Counterspying agents are one level more experienced than usual. When capturing an enemy spy automatically gain a free promotion and a free eureka or inspiration. RF and GS: Cities with spies gain +1 Loyalty. When recruiting or promoting a governor gain a free eureka or inspiration.

Agenda: Imperial Exams- Likes to have highly promoted spies and governors. Dislikes civilizations who have fewer promotions than her.

Hey, Cyrus, Wilhelmina, Peter, Matthias Corvinus, Nader Shah, Lef-traru, and Robert the Bruce all already have that same ability! :mischief:
Well, it would seem that they are restricted to rehashing old leader abilities for this pass. :mischief:

Leader Ability: Secret Police- Cities with spies acting in them gain +1 Amenity. When Counterspying agents are one level more experienced than usual. When capturing an enemy spy automatically gain a free promotion and a free eureka or inspiration. RF and GS: Cities with spies gain +1 Loyalty. When recruiting or promoting a governor gain a free eureka or inspiration.

Agenda: Imperial Exams- Likes to have highly promoted spies and governors. Dislikes civilizations who have fewer promotions than her.
Oh, of course, that's an idea with actual thought behind it and not just a lazy joke lol. Didn't mean to discredit your idea or anything- I like it quite a bit, now that you've shared it! Synergizes well with China's Civ ability.

I'm partly expecting the Yongle Emperor's ability to give eurekas or inspirations with Great Works of Writing as a reference to the Yongle Encyclopedia.

Oh, of course, that's an idea with actual thought behind it and not just a lazy joke lol. Didn't mean to discredit your idea or anything- I like it quite a bit, now that you've shared it! Synergizes well with China's Civ ability.
Watch that one thing that synergizes with the civ ability not be in. :crazyeye:

I'm partly expecting the Yongle Emperor's ability to give eurekas or inspirations with Great Works of Writing as a reference to the Yongle Encyclopedia.
That seems more plausible to add the eureka and inspirations to Yongle.

oooh that governor bit in particular is really nice - thats about, what, 15ish boosts in a game, with a good number of them later when theyre more useful (on the tech tree at least). really really hope we get something as good as that. i fear if it's just the boosts from counterspying that it might actually be not powerful enough an ability to be reliably impactful, at least on the lower dificulties where i play, as i seem to rarely actually get spied on more than 3 times a game

The other, I get it, but Matthias Corvinus? Being able to gain envoys through money is not that bad in my opinion, and quite strong even! Am I such a lousy player ? :lol:
I assume it has to do with no one really levies city-state militaries, and if they do, they do it with him.

The other, I get it, but Matthias Corvinus? Being able to gain envoys through money is not that bad in my opinion, and quite strong even! Am I such a lousy player ? :lol:

I assume it has to do with no one really levies city-state militaries, and if they do, they do it with him.
@Zaarin has gone on record saying that they don't play militarily, so to them, abilities like Matthias's and Cyrus's are basically worthless.

@Zaarin has gone on record saying that they don't play militarily, so to them, abilities like Matthias's and Cyrus's are basically worthless.
Poor Persia. Two leaders and no abilities. I guess Zulu and Macedon don't even exist for him. :lol:

While Matthias does have a more domination oriented playstyle, I have found his ability to be beneficial even during peaceful times:
1. Put Amani to a city-state you are almost suzerain of.
2. Levy army to gain free envoys.
3. Move Amani to a different city-state you are almost suzerain of.
4. Levy army to gain free envoys.
5. Move Amani to a different city-state you are almost suzerain of...

This turns Matthias from pure warmonger into a surprisingly efficient diplomacy civ. Add Országház, alliances and Monarchy legacy card, and you alone can decide basically everything that happens in world congress. (Some city-states are obviously beneficial for other victory paths)
Also, as Hungarian levied units are cheaper to upgrade, you can use that to help some weaker city-states to defend themselves from hostile powers.

Yeah, it's not that his ability is bad; it just doesn't do much for my playstyle. I'm always broke until the late game from buying too many Builders (assuming I can't buy them with Faith) and buildings. :lol:

Poor Persia. Two leaders and no abilities. I guess Zulu and Macedon don't even exist for him. :lol:
You're correct that I've never played either. I did play Genghis Khan for the "Buying your Deels and Listening to Your Throat Singing" achievement. It was like playing a completely blank civ. :p

Yeah, it's not that his ability is bad; it just doesn't do much for my playstyle. I'm always broke until the late game from buying too many Builders (assuming I can't buy them with Faith) and buildings. :lol:

Well at least it's a different problem than a completely blank ability, like 2 loyalty per trade route or Liberation wars :lol:

Being a pacifist player, I found Matthias Corvin's ability really useful for a diplomatic gameplay on the other hand! Multiply commercial hubs, you'll see, it's easy!

Multiply commercial hubs, you'll see, it's easy!
This is my biggest flaw as a player. I'm too busy building Holy Sites and Theatre Squares that I'm usually really late in getting my Commercial Hubs online--though at least I get them online, which is more than I can say for Campuses if I'm not pursuing a Science Victory. :p (I mean, I'll build a Campus or two, but I'm usually doing fine in science without them--again, unless I'm going for Science Victory.)

This is my biggest flaw as a player. I'm too busy building Holy Sites and Theatre Squares that I'm usually really late in getting my Commercial Hubs online--though at least I get them online, which is more than I can say for Campuses if I'm not pursuing a Science Victory. :p (I mean, I'll build a Campus or two, but I'm usually doing fine in science without them--again, unless I'm going for Science Victory.)
Man this is so EXACTLY the inverse of what I do ! Campus first, CHs next, then when I,m through with that I'll go for the TS ! And I rarely build more than 2-3 Holy Sites, and if not playing faith economy, they will usually wait a little

Man this is so EXACTLY the inverse of what I do ! Campus first, CHs next, then when I,m through with that I'll go for the TS ! And I rarely build more than 2-3 Holy Sites, and if not playing faith economy, they will usually wait a little
I set it so only two or three religions can be founded so I'm always scrambling for religion even though I play at low difficulty levels, but I tend to build fewer Holy Sites later in the game (often using them more to boost appeal for future national parks). I find the post-GS Science Victory tedious so I'm almost always going for a Culture Victory.

I set it so only two or three religions can be founded so I'm always scrambling for religion even though I play at low difficulty levels, but I tend to build fewer Holy Sites later in the game (often using them more to boost appeal for future national parks). I find the post-GS Science Victory tedious so I'm almost always going for a Culture Victory.
Again exactly the inverse of me... got so tired of the religion chase, so I installed Religion Expanded mod and always set the number of religions to the number of civs ;-)

Again exactly the inverse of me... got so tired of the religion chase, so I installed Religion Expanded mod and always set the number of religions to the number of civs ;-)
I lowered it to ensure the formation of religious blocs. When everyone or even half the civs have their own religions it becomes (diplomatically) kind of meaningless. (Also is that where the option to set the number of religions comes from? I also use Religion Expanded, a pantheon mod whose name I forget, and Tomatekh's Historical Religions.)

I lowered it to ensure the formation of religious blocs. When everyone or even half the civs have their own religions it becomes (diplomatically) kind of meaningless. (Also is that where the option to set the number of religions comes from? I also use Religion Expanded, a pantheon mod whose name I forget, and Tomatekh's Historical Religions.)
With religion expanded, there's a slider at game creation saying how many religions there's going to be... I think it's set by default at 16... So I set it to 12 for huge maps and 8 for standard... Unless I want a little suspense ;-)

With religion expanded, there's a slider at game creation saying how many religions there's going to be... I think it's set by default at 16... So I set it to 12 for huge maps and 8 for standard... Unless I want a little suspense ;-)
I'm obviously aware since I said I set it to two or three. :p I just wasn't sure if it was a modded or vanilla feature since I haven't played unmodded Civ6 in...well, probably since shortly after it released. :p

Top Bottom