Let's crack some heads.

Lead Paint

Delicious but Deadly
Diplomacy? Religion? Space race? Bah. These are things for wimps and cowards and people who don't have the word 'Khan' after their names. I don't even know what culture is, but it sounds tasty.

Civ 4 is a great game, but eventually sitting back and teching yourself into space gets a bit dull. So, I've designed this match with the intention of murdering a few empires. This game is for all you psychopaths out there who enjoy nothing more than seeing a Fast Worker curled up in the corner, crying softly to himself :p

I've set it to Pangaea, normal size, 8 civs. I picked my opponents, something I rarely do, to try and get the biggest, meanest opponents possible. It's on Noble, because I don't want my inglorious defeat plastered over the internet, but I've ticked Aggressive AI to make up for it.

With that, let's begin! :D

Since time immemorial the Mongolian people have lived a nomadic life, and they're getting pretty cranky about it. Now they're ready to settle down and plunder whoever their closest neighbours happen to be. Beat your ploughshares into swords, people, it's going to be a bumpy ride.

Now let's see where the random number generator has placed my bloodthirsty Mongols...

That's... not actually bad... trust me to land right on a floodplain when I'm played a warmonger's game :lol: I see no reason not to settle, so I promptly do.

Hooray. Cows.

Btw if anyone's interested, that tribal village gave us gold. Clearly there were intimidated by our Mongolian might. I start research into Mining, for it is a manly and character-building pursuit.

I take a step to the south, and whom should I find?

Ah, so we have Vikings as neighbours. I can't see how that could end badly. A little exploration reveals fertile land for my hordes to rampage over.

The villagers lend us a scout, on the condition we bring him back when we're done with him. We agree to do so and walk off, sniggering to ourselves. A quick trip down the road reveals our next neighbour, who gives perhaps the most ominous stare I've ever seen.

Salad? Pah. Mongols feast on men!

Hinduism is discovered around this time. My scouts find Caesar's lands to the east. And oh, what's this?

Oh, did I not mention I threw Gandhi into the mix to play with the big boys? I can be a real bastard sometimes :lol:

We discovered the warlike technology of Bronze Working and start on the not-so-warlike technology of Animal Husbandry, as it turns out feasting on men is not particularly efficient in a military society. Then begins a time of relative peace, as I scout around and meet three more equally ominous stares.

Turns out Ole Featherhead above discovered Buddhism when I wasn't looking. Incidentally I have got Choose Religions on, but the AI is nothing if not resistant to change, and so we end up with Buddhism and Hinduism founded first again.

We learn how to husband our animals, so let's see if we have anything we can ride into battle nearby...

Hmm... we have horses some way away. This shall have to be rectified. Work soon starts on a settler to claim them for the greater good (ie. hundreds of Keshiks pillaging the land).

Soon we find our final rival...

Somehow, I cannot be intimidated by a Frenchman. My settler runs out and grabs horses for us, building Beshbalik in quite a forward location...

So right now Beshbalik is at the mercy of the Vikings and the Romans, but I plan to turn it into a production centre and backfill the land behind it very soon. So ends my first session, with so far disappointingly few heads being cracked. I imagine my first victims shall be Ragnar and his merry crew, as soon as I have swordsmen and keshiks running around :goodjob: now, should I cottage the floodplains around Karakorum for greater science output (to build bigger swords, you understand) or farm it for my production powerhouse? I look forward to hearing the thoughts of fellow Civ fanatics :D

Nice start.

Thanks guys :) although I do not appreciate christos200's display picture. Alexander shall cower before the Mongol hordes, as soon as I have some! :lol:

Welcome to S&T! :band: :band: :band: :band:

We won't eat you, of course. :mischief:

If anyone tells you that they are more epic than I am, don't listen to them. Especially if the person's name is Tambien.

Trust me, I am plenty more epic than any of you, or so my friends tell me :p :lol:

EDIT: Also, it's nice to be reassured I won't be eaten :)

I'm not going to be able to update this for a couple of days, sorry guys, but I assure you when I do plenty of head-cracking shall commence :p

EDIT: Ok, so it turned out I lied. I have an hour free so I'll do a quick update just to show how all the boring peaceful expansion is going on.

Roughly ten seconds after founding Beshbalik I get this request:

Yes, my glorious military pump-to-be wants to go over to those salad-munching Romans :mad: I exercise some Mongolian democracy and completely ignore what they want. Then some probing in the south uncovers something altogether more worrying.

Yep, them's some Zulu horse archers. I sign open borders with Ragnar and it turns out the best he's got so far are common-or-garden archers, so at least I've got him as a neighbour instead of Shaka :)

Nothing much happens for a while. Lord McCauley issues an insult against the mighty Mongols...

Needless to say, he shall one day have a fine view of the Mongol empire from his pike. We discover writing - to record our glorious conquests, of course, none of this namby pamby 'literature' stuff for us. It turns out that Gandhi isn't particularly liked by the warmongers...

No open borders for you! :D we Mongols do not understand diplomacy well, but even we know that big red letters are not a good thing. Finally, I expand out by another city...

Hmmm. I'm being hemmed in already. Let's see how the Vikings are doing.

Oh Ragnar, what are you doing with your city placement? When I inevitably conquer him, Uppsala shall be moved one square to the north and Nidaros shall be... moved, I don't know where so long as it's not there. The plan now (and I use the word 'plan' very loosely) is to knock out Horseback Riding for Gers and Keshiks, Iron Working for Swordsmen, build up a stack of both plus some axeman I have lying around and go conquer me some Viking :D

Great story, and welcome to our humble little, boastful little :mischief: subforum! :D

Nawww you guys are nice :p I unfortunately have to do course reading right now (hence how I ended up on these forums ;)) but I'll update this when I have about four hours to kill :D

good luck with your course ;) what do you have to read?

Make sure that you have four hours to kill pretty soon :p

Alright, a quick update now. I know you guys have been on the edges of your seats :p

A look at the power graph reveals some worrying home truths...

It's no surprise that I come in above Gandhi, of course, seeing as his military usually consists of about three dudes with sticks. I'm also inching out Napoleon and am almost on par with Montezuma, but most importantly I'm just about ahead of Ragnar, my closest neighbour/victim. Once again I thank my stars I didn't start out in Shaka's back yard, as right now he's just looking scary.

I discover Horseback Riding without a hitch, and Iron Working reveals iron next to Turfan (the one of my three cities I WASN'T gearing up for production, of course). It's about this time I get the worrying notification that Napoleon and Shaka have joined score-leading Montezuma in the Buddhist faith. Um... :eek: so now I've got an Aztec-French-Zulu triumvurate forming next door. Hopefully if I can drag one of them into the upcoming war with Ragnar I can gain enough you-shared-a-war-with-us brownie points to get one of them to backstab their Buddhist buddies.

NOW, IT BEGINS! :D

A few decades of military pumping later, and the power graph is looking a lot more comfortable...

That's more like it :D oh hello Ragnar, I can hardly see your pasty blue line for all the way up here. Of course my next closest neighbour, salad fan Caesar, looks to have been pumping out Praetorians for the last hundred years. Thankfully he's also next door to Gandhi, so that should keep him busy for a while :p

I build a stack of 4 Keshiks and get working on swords and axes. Behold, my Four Keshiks of the Apocalypse!

I was going to build five, but that would have ruined my theme :p Death, Famine, Pestilence and War will run around the Viking countryside and cause general havoc while my swords and axes move from city to city.

Finally, I've knocked up a tentative dotmap in ugly brown of the soon-to-be-Mongolian Viking provinces...

It turned out quite well, all told. Far Left grabs dyes and copper and has some surrounding hills for military production, plus is on the coast. Centre Left is the strongest location, hauling in horses, wheat, spices and FOUR sugars :eek: Centre Right is mostly a space filler and has a couple of tiles overlap with Centre Left, although it does bring in pigs, marble and wine so I think I can live with that. Far Right has a few hills and ivory, but more importantly lands me iron and gold, for weapons and happiness (although in Mongolian society those are pretty much interchangeable).

Next time: war with the Vikings and (finally) cracking some heads!

FOUR sugars
Silk :mischief:

I'm looking forward to your war ;)

I take you have a settler stand by to block the AI from expanding into the empty lands you'll leave?

This should be interesting :). A little late I know, but welcome to the forums!

A few decades of military pumping later, and the power graph is looking a lot more comfortable...

Of course my next closest neighbour, salad fan Caesar, looks to have been pumping out Praetorians for the last hundred years. Thankfully he's also next door to Gandhi, so that should keep him busy for a while :p
:agree: JC is gonna pound poor ghandi into the ground! :lol:

Top Bottom