Leveling Loki

I don't think he is limited in where he can retreat. I know he can cross bodies of water, and I don't think blocking him in with units will stop him either.

Yes, he does get away often. I read somewhere else that he can die from first strikes -- and only from first strikes.

So is the manual out of date? It says he can die if you surround him, but I did this one game and he just retreated TWO spaces to outside my encirclement.
Yeah, it's out of date. You can not kill Loki by surrounding him. Unless you somehow managed to place a unit on every square of the map, he will find an empty square to run off to, even if it is on another continent.

There are two ways to kill him, attack him while he is in a city, and nab him with First Strikes. That makes the Drill line much more valuable.

When one of you droogs do a Balseraph AAR, I want you to title it "Leveling Loki".

Yeah, it's out of date. You can not kill Loki by surrounding him. Unless you somehow managed to place a unit on every square of the map, he will find an empty square to run off to, even if it is on another continent.

There are two ways to kill him, attack him while he is in a city, and nab him with First Strikes. That makes the Drill line much more valuable.

Why does that part matter? I chased Loki with a hill giant for about 30 turns and leveled him up to combat 5 pounding on Loki. But Loki took shelter in a city and I was finally able to kill him. But why?

Because units that are defending cities will not retreat from them. They die defending the city rather than yielding ground, because (at least in theory) the loss of the city would be worse than the loss of the unit.

but in a foreign city it shouldn't defend. i think that sounds like an oversight in the programing.

It's a hold-over from vanilla Civ. In theory it should only apply to units friendly to the civ that owns the city (vassals, allies, or the civ itself); neutral units should still retreat to save themselves, especially if the city is in no danger of conquest (ie the owning civ isn't at war with the attacker). That's a lot of 'ifs' to sort out, however, which is probably why Civ doesn't account for those factors.

Well Loki was in one of MY cities, and I wasn't at war with his civ. I was just chasing his but around with an undeclared civ giant to keep him from getting up to any mischief. He'd keep having to move off somewhere to heal up rather than cause me problems. But I couldn't kill him within my territory until he stopped in a city.

Top Bottom