Liberation exploit

BillSeurer

Warlord
Well, sort of an exploit.

When you liberate a city for another civ the city gets no units (except sometimes with Order). If your units leave and the city is reconquered you can liberate it again. And again. ... Each time you get a +1 diplomacy boost from the other civ.

I noticed this when a block of 3 cities of the dark elves near me but a ways away from the rest of their civ were overrun by the barbarians. I was on good terms with the elves so I went and liberated them. I needed my units elsewhere so I left and the barbs returned and retook the cities. So I liberated them again. I went through this cycle 4 times when I noticed I had a +12 bonus with the dark elves before they finally sent some troops over to occupy the cities.

Should there be some limit on this?

BTW, I thought in basic civ when you liberated a city some basic infantry unit was stuck in it? Or was that an earlier version of Civ?

Well, sort of an exploit.

When you liberate a city for another civ the city gets no units (except sometimes with Order). If your units leave and the city is reconquered you can liberate it again. And again. ... Each time you get a +1 diplomacy boost from the other civ.

I noticed this when a block of 3 cities of the dark elves near me but a ways away from the rest of their civ were overrun by the barbarians. I was on good terms with the elves so I went and liberated them. I needed my units elsewhere so I left and the barbs returned and retook the cities. So I liberated them again. I went through this cycle 4 times when I noticed I had a +12 bonus with the dark elves before they finally sent some troops over to occupy the cities.

Should there be some limit on this?

BTW, I thought in basic civ when you liberated a city some basic infantry unit was stuck in it? Or was that an earlier version of Civ?

Bill, maybe I am a little confused with the 'liberation' term you are using. If a city (usually on my border) flips to me because of culture, there IS a basic unit, a Warrior I think, that comes with the new city whether I accept it or not. Kinda of funny actually if you are in late-game and Warriors are long gone!;)

However, if, for example, I use Loki to flip cities (again Culturally), there is no unit coming along and Loki must defend - not a good idea as he can be killed in a city.

Those are the two examples of liberation I can think of. Apologies if I am on the wrong track with it.

If someone I'm at war with takes a city from a 3rd party, then I take that city, I have the option of gifting that city back to the third party it originally belonged to. The option appears under "No! BURN, BABY, BURN!"

That's what liberation is, and it doesn't spawn free defenders.

If you are at war with a civ and take one of thier cities, then make peace with them and in the process give the city back, you would get a diplomatic bonus from liberating that city.

I did this with a vassal. Hyb had appeared in the middle of their empire and they had no units at this city. Liberate the city -- the barbs take it -- take it from the barbs, liberate again. Got about a +3.

In Civ4 you get two of the best defenders you can build. If this doesn't happen with FFH2 maybe it has something to do with the inability to gift units ?

Since I posted that I've done this a few more times and in a couple cases a defender or two did pop up. But not all the time.

Top Bottom