List of needed programs to begin modding?

ruhrgebietheld

Warlord
Okay, so I've been trying to get started on making my first civ for a few months now, and have pretty much gone nowhere. I tend to read a tutorial, get part of the picture, read more tutorials to get the whole picture, and then forget the first part I read. Where this is especially becoming a problem is trying to keep track of what programs, plug-ins, updates, etc. that I need to download to even get started on making a whole new civ. Could somebody possibly give me a list and/or links of everything I need to download in order to start modding? As far as all the artistic stuff is concerned, I don't have Photoshop, so I know I'll need gimp, but I keep seeing different tutorials mention different versions of it and different plug-ins, so I'd like to know what currently works best, and thus which ones I should download.

Depends on whether you want to mod art, or just code.

For coding, you'll need to install the Civ5 SDK (get it from steam), and I also find Notepad++ and Winmerge helpful at times.

For 2D art, you'll want GIMP/Photoshop, and the .dds plugin for GIMP/Photoshop.

For 3D art, you'll need the above plus Blender version 2.49b, NexusBuddy 2 by Deliverator, and Deliverator's python scripts. I think you may need to install python beforehand, in my case, I have python 2.6.6.

For sound, Audacity is my choice just because it's free.

Top Bottom