List of suggestions about mid-late game

Is 4 Horse sources too much to ask for the Horse Whispering quest on Giant/Gigantic maps? The minimum I want is 2. I just checked a few Duel-size maps and they all generated 3 Horse resources somewhere on the map. On a Gigantic map, I tested three times and I got one map with 19 Horse sources and two maps with 28 each.
Sorry for the slight OT, but I'm curious how do you count resources, especially on big maps.
Save as scenario, open in text editor and search instances of each resource?

What I did was open WB; add all Ancient techs to make horses visible; reveal all tiles; close WB; show all resources with Ctrl-R, and then for horses just show general resources; then go through the map and mark each seen resource with an Alt-S sign.

Here's something I discovered. Since I hate to hard-code anything, I found out the right equation to get the number of resources that I want for Horse Whispering -- 2 Horses on Small or smaller, 3 Horses on Standard up to Huge, and 4 on Giant or Gigantic -- turned out to be number of default players divided by 9, plus 2. Anything less of a denominator and I get too many required sources on Gigantic.

Also, I was slightly concerned about the game crashing if I fed a text string too many arguments. With X as the default number of players for the world size, Horse Whispering is going to require X/2, rounded up, Stables, and 2+(X/9), rounded down, Horses. So on Standard you need 5 Stables and 3 Horses. The help text for quests relies on calculating the required values in Python and then feeding those values into the text string. I can't do anything about the non-English text strings, so if we add a second quest requirement, the current help text won't be able to show that, but at least the text manager doesn't care about a second number hanging out doing nothing.

For the Forgemaster quest, I am looking to make the second requirement be accumulating metal resources: Copper, Gold, Iron, Lead, and Silver. Coal, Bauxite, and Uranium are not revealed by the time the Forgemaster quest expires. The minimum number of resources I want to require is 3. On a Duel map, a WB check showed about 10 resources of this type spawning on the map total, so having 3 of those seems about right for when the quest can start triggering.

For those of you playing on Gigantic maps: how many metal resources do you typically have by the end of the Medieval Era? I did some checking by autoplaying about 120 turns of a Blitz Gigantic game and found that I would typically have about 4-5 metal resources within city range at the end of that time, which would be about the early Classical Era when the quest would be able to trigger. Since the quest can go on until the Medieval Era, I want to make it so that it isn't easy to get the quest right away. Is 10 resources too much for this point? Save games would be appreciated.

Top Bottom