Lithuania

I'm confused as to how I can shader Vytautas's armor. His armor is from a unit. How can I shade him?

Well, it looks pretty good as is- you don't have to shader it. I think Nitram already made a few experiments, though, so ask him.

ok i found the problem, my folder was Custom Civilizations rather than CustomCivilizations, but for some reason the other mod i was testing worked, that made me think that directory is fine. It works perfectly now, leaders are great, unit is beautiful and the special building is fine. Noob mistake on my part and thanks for helping me clear find the problem.

Thanks for the tip how to change the language too, my russian friend is coming over for hot-seat session this weekend and he keeps going on about the good old days of soviet union so i cant have lithuanians talking russian, he would be too pleased :p Looking forward to dominating Catherine with imba Bajorija!

By the way we both live in london just so you dont start thinking i am sitting in lithy with many russian friends :p i have nothing against russian people, they are lovely mostly, but i never liked their government and all the deception to their own people.

Thanks again for the mod!

I'm confused as to how I can shader Vytautas's armor. His armor is from a unit. How can I shade him?

You can't. The only thing I can think of is maybe adding one of the metal effects, but I'm not sure if that works. I'd avoid using armor from a unit though.

As for the language; I'd go with Viking (just becasue it is regional), or maybe Latin/Roman (because it is generic) or depending on the language you play with in your game (i.e. English, Spanish, German etc.) set it to that. :goodjob:

ok i found the problem, my folder was Custom Civilizations rather than CustomCivilizations, but for some reason the other mod i was testing worked, that made me think that directory is fine. It works perfectly now, leaders are great, unit is beautiful and the special building is fine. Noob mistake on my part and thanks for helping me clear find the problem.

Glad to see you got it working. :thumbsup:

I use CustomCivilizations for my modules. Some people use the Custom Civilizations path, but I think that causes problems with the buttons on certain mods (its the space in the path).

By the way, the Bajorai are pretty powerful. That 1:strength: point increases survival chance quite a bit, as well as the additional 16% vs. melee units. Is that overpowered (especially when combined with the Voivodeship)?

@Capo: I wouldn't normally use unit parts, but look at it! It looks fantastic, and it came with the 512x512 texture, so I had to do little but rig it, and it looks quite a bit like this (although it is a 17th century painting):

Spoiler :

Also, the bajorai is based on this pic:
Spoiler :

From this site.

i dont think bajorai are overpowered because there is really a limited time u can use them and units after them are all mostly gunpowder, only making them useful vs older units as they get the melee bonus.

also during the game for some reason Mindaugas as listed here in the forum becomes Mindaugus, is there any way i can edit xml or whatever, its a minor name mistake but still instantly noticable to anyone lithuanian. Thanks.

Gediminas should be the leader. I know Mindaugas and Vytautas are more famous and popular figures, but Gediminas was actually the most successful king. By a distance actually ...

I'd change the UB too. This is too Slavic, and there are plenty of real Lithuanian options. Bajorai likewise (=boyar).

E.g. some suggestions:

UU: Samogitian raider -- Maceman with 2 movement (or Woodsman II perhaps)
UB: Pilis -- Castle giving City Garrison I to melee units.

i dont think bajorai are overpowered because there is really a limited time u can use them and units after them are all mostly gunpowder, only making them useful vs older units as they get the melee bonus.

also during the game for some reason Mindaugas as listed here in the forum becomes Mindaugus, is there any way i can edit xml or whatever, its a minor name mistake but still instantly noticable to anyone lithuanian. Thanks.

:facepalm:
I can't believe I didn't notice that. To change the text, go to the Lithuania folder and open the Lithuania_Ci4_GameText.xml (you can do it in Notepad), and find where it says Mindaugus and just change it to Mindaugas.

Gediminas should be the leader. I know Mindaugas and Vytautas are more famous and popular figures, but Gediminas was actually the most successful king. By a distance actually ...

I'd change the UB too. This is too Slavic, and there are plenty of real Lithuanian options. Bajorai likewise (=boyar).

I considered adding Gediminas, but I already had 2 leaders.

What's a boyar?

What's a boyar?

Russian nobility.

Actually, here's what Wikipedia writes about it:
A boyar (also spelled bojar, ) was a member of the highest rank of the feudal Bulgarian, Romanian, Russian, and Ukrainian aristocracy, second only to the ruling princes, from the 10th century through the 17th century. The "rank" has lived on as a surname in Russia and in Finland, where it is spelled "Pajari".

We have and use word bajoras in lithuania, even though slekta would be a more correct one people dont like its association with poland etc, simply means nobleman, we had dukes and noblemen in those days so i dont see a problem with Bajoras, cause to wear that kinda nice armor like the unit has u were definately a well off nobleman. Most of words in many languages have roots in some other language anyways. I suppose the light cavalry unit called Vytis would be the obvious unique unit but i love what mechaerik created and it looks great with a beutiful shield and the forementioned Vytis on that shield.
As for Gediminas being the most succesful ruler, maybe so maybe not, but he was never a king. Lithuania only ever had one king Mindaugas, and then a few Grand Dukes. King has to be blessed by the pope and lithuania reverted back to paganism after Mindaugas, up until Vytautas who was about to be crowned but the poles stole the crown that was sent to him and it never happened.
Lithuania also had a nominal king assigned by the germans around 1915 or whatever and he was called Mindaugas II but he never really took up the post etc and most people dont even know about him. So the choice of having the only king we had and the guy who expanded our borders the most (all the way to the black sea apparently) is the right leader choices in my opinion.
3 would be even nicer though :p

The king thing is a myth. Recognised use by the Pope of the Latin term rex was pretty meaningless to Lithuanians of the 13th and 14th centuries. Their own title literally meant "High King" or "Great King". That it is now understood to mean "Grand Duke" is meaningless, as pagan Lithuanians had no such western feudal hierarchy.

In 1250 or 1251, during the course of internal power struggles, Mindaugas was baptised as a Roman Catholic; this action enabled him to establish an alliance with the Livonian Order, a long-standing antagonist of the Lithuanians. During the summer of 1253 he was crowned King of Lithuania, ruling between 300,000 and 400,000 subjects.

Whether its a myth or not, neither you or me know because we werent there, but thats what they teach in our history books. And they did revert back to paganism afterwards yes so that title wouldnt have been granted or recognised after that, that was the whole excuse of crusaders coming over and trying to bring christianity into the the region.

i couldnt find where the mistake is, because Lithuania_Civ4_GameText.xml has the correct spelling. It only shows up when u try pick it from custom games menu as leader or during a game when his score is displayed on the right side with the other leaders.

i couldnt find where the mistake is, because Lithuania_Civ4_GameText.xml has the correct spelling.

No, it does not. Look carefully- this is what it says there:
<TEXT>
<Tag>TXT_KEY_LEADER_MINDAUGAS</Tag>
<English>Mindaugus</English>
<French>N/T</French>
<German>N/T</German>
<Italian>N/T</Italian>
<Spanish>N/T</Spanish>
</TEXT>

yes, but it is also a shame how much Latin, French, Slavic, Hebrew... elements find their way into the German language. but the peak of the iceberg is, in Germany everyone uses Arabic numerals;):lol:

JK.

yes, but it is also a shame how much Latin, French, Slavic, Hebrew... elements find their way into the German language.

Why is it a shame? In my opinion, it is great that different cultures borrow words and expressions from each-other. Knowing Russian and English, for example, really helps learning German.
But enough [offtopic]

Top Bottom