Little things we wish we'd known two weeks ago

I realise I'm a bit late to the party, but you have just given me my own, personal "Eureka" moment...lol...

I've succeeded up to Emperor but am, admittedly, struggling on Immortal and really, REALLY wanted to connect my Great Wall chains together. However, there was a bloody Gypsum quarry in the way and I tried removing it, but still couldn't build the last, connecting section of wall...

I hadn't even considered the "Harvest Resource" button, I'd just seen the Scythe a few times.... I think I'm far too used to just reusing old Civ1-5 strategies and have a hell of a lot more to learn with Civ 6!

Let's just hope it allows me to finally join the dots...

Thanks mate!

Sadly, you cannot harvest strategic resources or luxuries (like gypsum). Only bonus resources can be harvested.

Sadly, you cannot harvest strategic resources or luxuries (like gypsum). Only bonus resources can be harvested.

I had this in my first game, where the only tile next to Mt Everest that wasn't mountains, had a luxury resource on it! I was less than impressed!

Some social policies become obsolete even though their "replacement" is quite different. This is indicated nowhere in the UI.

Triangular trade -> E-Commence comes to mind. Retainers (+1 Amenity from garrisoned units) also changes to something quite different but I can't remember what . I just remember it has nothing to do with amenities.

Raider class ships can "raid" barbarian camps for their gold, as if it was a hex improvement.

They can also capture civilian units along the coastline... whoops. :mischief:

Last edited:
NukeAJS: I believe it changes to a '-25% War Weariness' policy. Which does have something to do with Amenities even if it doesn't use the word.

Harvested? I'm confused! Do you mean improve that tile with the resource on? Or remove the resource completely like you see when picking a district site? I'm always wary of doing that (with no good reason probably!).

You can remove certain tile features (woods, rainforest, marsh) and "harvest" bonus resources (wheat, rice, copper, etc.), either by sending a builder to do that action, in which event you obtain a lump-sum yield from the removal or harvest action (could be food, production, gold, etc., depending on what is being removed or harvested), or by directing that a district or wonder be built on that tile, in which event the feature or bonus resource is just removed, with no "reward." If you know you will want to place a district or wonder on a tile, it can be worthwhile using a builder charge to remove the feature or bonus resource, since you at least get a reward for doing so. Of course, builder charges also cost production, so even that decision should be made thoughtfully.

Strategic resources and luxuries cannot be removed, so nothing to decide there.

this thread has been around a while now and the list changes continually on what I wish I knew.

Like keeping the capital city population lower by creating settlers early.
Ensure you use a civs unique district well and often
Chopping well, not just blindly chopping.

Its the smaller tactics now

Top Bottom