LK151 - WM, where are we?

And the save

Attachments

• LK151-1395AD.SAV
    1.2 MB · Views: 285
Lurker:

One of the tactics I used in a few games was to take armies and surround a massive stack. It will sit there and not move, till I kill it off or kill the empire. I recall one stack of 800+ infantry, that I left till the empire was eliminated. 8 armies to corral it.

I did a lot of army control that round to encourage the stacks onto flat land, and them hit hit artillery to get the stacks to split with injured going a different direction.

Lurker:

One of the tactics I used in a few games was to take armies and surround a massive stack. It will sit there and not move, till I kill it off or kill the empire. I recall one stack of 800+ infantry, that I left till the empire was eliminated. 8 armies to corral it.

Ah, those were the days.

Thanks vmxa. Although I stopped playing long ago, I still check things out on occasion. This remains the best of the civ series IMHO.

I have no idea on resistors counting toward population for win.

I knew we had a ton of settlers, and can easily get more. Babylon is the most cultured civ in the game, so they will be very flip prone.

I decided to tested how % population works since I got results that seemed different than what I thought I previously observed

1) % population is based on adding up the city numbers rather than listed population so moving population doesn't help.

2) Resisters do count towards population so keeping cities is a big win. You just need a buffer for potential flips. Only if your flip chance is greater than 50% per City is replacement better than Capture.

Preturn: Builds look fine.
Our Area is now 58% but Population is only 54%. That can be fixed by
1) MM cities for growth.
2) Cities with more than 1 citizen that will take more than 5 turns (except core cities) can build a worker instead. These workers can irrigate cities with Hospitals and then merge into the city. I am pretty sure that a population in a size 15 city is worth much more than a pop in a size 3.
I chose 5 turns because that is my best guess on how long the game will last (it could be sooner, but I don't think it will take longer).
3) We have more settlers than I need so I can merge some of those as well.
4) I will of course keep big cities if I capture them.

IBT: We get pillaged by Babylon and lose a Transport to an Aztec Frigate.
Egypt and Argentina ally vs Babylon Argentina declares war.

1400 AD: We start by bombarding any troops on Rails and the town we can reach with Artillery.
Against red-liners our losses are high, 4 Bef and 5 Cavalry. Despite the fairly large numbers of troops killed, I still thing it was bad RNG results.
El-mashmunein is capture by Cavalry.
Brandenburg has only two Infantry so is captured by 2 Cavalry Armies.
Continuing the trend, I build Obscured by Clouds to reach Frankfurt which we Capture using Cavalry Armies.
From Frankfort we can partially bombard it until we run out of Artillery. We then Capture it using Speed 3 partial-Knight armies.
From there our Cavalry Armies Capture Berlin and attack Leipzig.
Eventually find enough healthy Armies to Capture Leipzig.
Built If to get closer to the enemy.

IBT: Several Cavalry enter our lands (19). There are no attacks.

1405 AD: We can bombard and Capture Cologne at the cost of 3 Cavalry. This allows us to use Cavalry Armies to Capture Heielberg that isi over the mountaiins. Heidelberg is not connected with our other lands so we go for Uruk next. On the 6th unit we get lucky as the Army retreats instead of dying. In all it takes 10 Armies to kill the 9 Infantry in the city. Now we can reach Heidelburg that allows us to back track and Capture Konigsburg with the rest of our Cavalry Armies. Now Bremen is close enough to knock bombard the Infantry and red-line them. We lose 2 Cavalry taking the city. Hannover is now Isolated but will be hard to get to due to Mountainous terrain. We can bombard Tsetserleg from near If, but cannot bring all units to 1 hp as I did other bombardment for units in our lands, so we use 2 Knight/Cav mixed armies, lose a Cavalry and take the city with another.
Built Seamus as our line had a gap. Try to build Tiime but we get the too many cities message so Williiam Dryer is shot down, because it's time for Time. We need one more City so Richard Pickman is 'accidentally' trampled to death by feral pigs so 'Us and Them' can be.
We have also killed all but 3 stacks of units. 39 Infantry and other speed one units deep in our territory from Lee's turn, and two new stacks of slow units of 22 and 5. We lost one Elite against a 2 hp Cavalry and got no leaders.
Run a test to see how % population works, since increasing bigger cities didn't seem to do much contrary to what I thought happened. Sure enough its the sum of the numbers and not the actual population. Also keeping cities does help even if resistance is high. It means I don't have to do anything fancy with joining workers to boost us - any city will do. We are at 60% area now. Remove a crowded town and build Welcome to the Machine for more land.

IBT: Lose a Frigate to Babylon. Lose a Bef.

1410 AD: Use our ROP with Egypt to circle around to capture the now isolated Hannover. Winower gets the boot so we can build One of these Days. Breyer become chopped liver so we can build Thin Ice to get us close enough to a size 30 city, we bombard it to 1 hp and then see how many Cavalry we lose taking out the 4 Infantry with 1 hp. Answer in this case was 7, AI even got a leader on defense that we kill.
Next up is size 31 Ellipi which we will use Armies against. Again we get lucky as an Army retreats. We capture the City and the Sistine Chapel. Seamus goes a-woofing to the west using abandon and rebuild to again close up the Wall.
Attacking size 30 Nineveh we get a first - An Army fails to damage the Infantry at all. With one HP it retreats. Another small town is Squished so we can build 'Nother Brick in da Wall' (since the real name doesn't fit).
We then attack Nina and capture the City with a harrowing retreat, 2 hp win, and 3 hp win.
The big stack of 39 units split over the IBT with two on our Rails. I bombard and destroy the stacks leaving the third stack of 11 still there. Kill some Cavalry that charged us last turn.
Time move forward.... One square closer to the front using abandon and rebuild. It will allow us to bombard Munich. I also advanced a Settler to Bombard Mari. Decide I want more Artillery. This game is unusual for this late in that I keep running out. Additionally I have at least 4 Cities that can be bombarded. I rush a bunch.

IBT: Bef lost. Uruk flips with no units lost. So does Tula in the middle of our lands. Persia and Babylon make peace, Sioux randomly declare war on Babylon.

1415 AD: I first move our Artillery across to Alaska. I then bombard Uruk and recapture it. Tula has Spear guarding it so we use 2 Cavalry on the home continent to capture it back.
The City Pigpen is trampled into the dust so that we can build Eclipse. This allows us to Bombard Mari.
I also missed some Elite victories last round and since I have gotten no Armies yet and a big number (19) of Cavalry showed up, I prioritize bombarding the Cavalry down to try to get Elite victories. I made the mistake of firing Artillery from Heidleberg - a flip would lose the Artillery. Heidleberg is cleared so that Brain Damage can take it's place. While our leader luck has been bad, our promotion luck has been pretty decent and we have 18 healthy Elites to try for a leader (two more are injured and will not participate).
We end up with 2 new Armies which along with the one built, makes 3 for my round so far.
We have enough Artillery to bombard Izibia, Samarra, and Munich. Izibia loses 2 Cavalry for us to capture it. Munich in the Tundra which is size 4 and likely doesn't have a Civil Defense is capture without loss. Samarra costs 11 Cavalry, It also uses up additional Artillery for promotions. Over half the losses were on the final 1 hp Infantry. The rest is mostly due to the fact this town had 7 Artillery. Finally we can Bombard and capture Tell Wilaya losing 4 Cavalry. Capturing Tell Wilaya will allow Nina to be another city I can leave empty since Nina is no longer reachable.
I would like to not have to defend Ellipi or Nineveh, their large size makes them a flip risk. To do that our Armies would have to capture 3 big cities including Babylon. Decide to take a peak at Babylon and it has 10 Infantry (and all 4 Babylon wonders) - capture of all 3 seems unlikely. Capture of Shuruppak would at least allow Ellipi to be isolated so its up first.
For Shuruppak we get our 5th retreat and our first Army loss. Cavalry Armies really have troubles with large cities with Civil defense.
Count up how many healthy Armies we have and we have more than 12, which takes Babylon and makes it our next target. We win all 12 with close 2 hp and 4 hp wins.
We might be able to take out Zarquim as we have some Armies left, but it is in Bombardment range, so instead I use 3 Armies including a Knight Army and the Guerilla Army to block off Nineveh Access.
We need more Cities to fill spaces. Robert Mckenzie is abandoned in Northern Siberia (without a coat) to build Fat Old Son.
Previously I had merged in Workers to bring our population % to equal our Area. However the large city capture has sent it far ahead. This in turn means I can dispand towns I need to protect that also have flip risk. With Ellipi and Nineveh now safe, the biggest risk is Hamburg.
We replace it with Alan Psychodelic Brekie. Zimbabwe is pithed in order to make room for Atom Heart Mother. We need another city so Ford Prefect is handed over to the Vogons and we build.
Find some more Artillery. Bombard Zariqum lose a 12 hp Army attacking a 1 hp Infantry. After misclicking twice I finally take the city with a 9 hp Army.
We gain 4 more Artillery in Zariqum, plus a few more show up and we are able to bombard some smaller Infantry stacks.
Two Armies that I missed and a Cavalry take out size 1 Erdenet in the Tundra.

IBT: We got deposed from Nina (no units lost), and Tsetserleg (lost 3-4 bef). I missed replacing tsetserleg last round - it would have been a good one as its on the front line. Built an Artillery by mistake intended to switch them all as we now have enough. Last turn was probably the last turn we run out.

1420 AD: Taking back Tsertserleg we first bombard and then get a Leader from an elite win. We need to use Cav Armies to take back Nina.
Hidana can be bombarded so we do so and Capture it with Cavalry. I haven't fully mentioned this but Every non-tundra city has had at least one Artillery except for the Capitol. To put one in Babylon would be a Capital offense I guess.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sorry to end mid-turn, but I think I may hand this off to NP to finish. I am getting tired and I am running out of time for the long weekend and I believe he is back now. I may be busy this week. I have done only a little this turn so most units are unmoved.

Notes:
We should have plenty of Artillery to clean up Babylon, but they are scattered about from use from last turn.
Armies are stored in Timbuktoo (way over in Alaska). and Money and brick in the wall have healing units. Otherwise units are all around, I didn't gather them.

I made images with circled enemy units

I had a plan to rush conscript Bef and then dispand them in any town I wanted a border expansion sooner. I have already done this for some Temples in corrupt cities (one Conscript Bef, 3-4 worker types) but not all. I was also considering whether I wanted to build Libraries in afew towns (expensive at 4 conscript Bef). We have high drafting potential, and I didn't do any on my turn yet (I used existing ones - we have at least one left)

There are workers near our capitol

IMPORTANT: There was a landing on our home continent (Europe). Also an Indian group prowling around to the south. Double check the coastlines. Some Cavalry are in Tula, some are newly made.

That report could have used some white space. I didn't realize there were several turns in there at first.

ROSTER:
LKendter
Greebley (just played)
Northern Pike (skip 7/31 to 8/31) (up)
CommandoBob (on deck)

Northern Pike are you back?

Not quite. I return home tomorrow (Sunday the 7th), and should be able to start playing on Monday or Tuesday. :cool:

@Northern Pike - is this now being played?

Yes. We'll win on the first turn if we can avoid flips.

Top Bottom