Locked up about mid way through

damonlundy

Chieftain
About the year 1400 A.D. my game completely freezes up when I press return to end the turn. I have to kill power to my computer and reboot. It does this consistently no matter what features I tweak in the .ini file or simply through the in-game options. I have the latest patch 1.52 applied. I have left the computer on for a couple of hours before, but it continues to hang. I can play the turn before and all other turns before this particular one with no problems other than an occassional wonder video freezing up.

I have a P4 1.6 Ghz Windows XP Pro machine with 768 MB of RAM. My video card is Nvidia Geforce FX 5200 with the latest drivers installed (build is 12/05) and my sound is motherboard integrated Realtek AC'97.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!! I loved CIV 1 and 2, but hated CIV 3. I absolutely love CIV 4. It reminds me alot of the first two!

Thanks,

Damon

Obviously a memory issue, make sure to disable all background services; Start>Run>Msconfig>Services Tab (make sure to check "Hide all Microsoft Services" at the bottom first) click disable all. Then click startup tab and click disable all. Also increase pagefile min and max to the maximum allowed; Control Panel>System>Advanced>Performance Settings>Advanced>Virtual Memory. I have 768mb also so you should be able to finish a game on a huge map if I can (unless you have a bad memory stick(s)). Just need to tweak it some.

damonlundy said:
About the year 1400 A.D. my game completely freezes up when I press return to end the turn. I have to kill power to my computer and reboot. It does this consistently no matter what features I tweak in the .ini file or simply through the in-game options. I have the latest patch 1.52 applied. I have left the computer on for a couple of hours before, but it continues to hang. I can play the turn before and all other turns before this particular one with no problems other than an occassional wonder video freezing up.

I have a P4 1.6 Ghz Windows XP Pro machine with 768 MB of RAM. My video card is Nvidia Geforce FX 5200 with the latest drivers installed (build is 12/05) and my sound is motherboard integrated Realtek AC'97.

I'm no tech wizzard, but as I've been having the same problems, it'll be a comfort to know your not alone on this matter. Before assuming it might be a game bug, I'm doing a lot of hardware checks first, especially airflow and temperature, PSU Wattage etc. I would recommend upping your RAM to at least 1Gig for better performance. If this problem is not hardware related I guess we live in hope for a new patch!

Robaughjr,

I appreciate your feedback to my post and the ideas you had. I tried these immediately, hoping they would work. As you guessed it, it still locks up requiring a reboot. I set my page file to 4096MB min. and max.

I ran Msconfig and first chose to hide Microsoft services and then disabled everything else. I then chose to disable all on the startup tab.

Here is a copy of my DxDiag file in case that helps with any further suggestions.

Again, thanks for the initial suggestions!

Top Bottom