Looking for my first PitBoss game

bullrunner

Chieftain
Hello PitBossers -- I've been playing Civ since the first one, mostly SP but I've also played lots of MP so I know the ropes but I'm tired of quitters. On a scale of 1 to 5 I would rate myself a 3 in terms of skill - I know the concepts, I can follow the advanced topics in these forums, and I'm about .500 against my friend who plays all the time.

I would need someone to explain the rules in terms of how PitBoss is different from live online MP. I am available to do the once every 12 hours or however long or short the turn timer may be. I'm running Civ4:BTS v3.1.9.0 and I'm on a Mac if that makes any difference, which I don't think it does since 3.1.9 is the most recent patch for both Mac and PC.

I would prefer a new game but will happily join an ongoing game if subs are needed for the sake of getting experience with the PitBoss community. Please let me know! Thanks!

I found this on the web and though it can be somewhat educative:

PitBoss
The PitBoss is a unique application allowing the epic nature of Civilization to finally be easily integrated into the multiplayer realm. It is a lightweight application with a simple interface. While running, players will be able to log in and continue their progress in a game at any time. Once satisfied, players are welcome to log out and continue later.

Participating in a Pitboss Game:

Participating in a PitBoss game is simple. Join the game like you would any other; select a PitBoss game in the LAN or Internet lobby, or connect directly to a known IP Address. Aside from the indication in the 'PB' column of the lobbies, the fact that the game is being run by The PitBoss should be completely invisible to you when joining.

Once you are in the game, however, Civilization IV may play a bit differently from classic multiplayer games. If all participants are currently logged into the game, it will play exactly the same as a classic Civilization IV multiplayer game. You are free to move as soon as it is your turn, you are free to chat to the other players, you are free to conquer the world! However, the most important difference when playing a PitBoss game is that all other participants may not always be logged in.
If you are engaged in a PitBoss game, and another player logs out, you are free to make your move if it is your turn. Afterwards, the game is on hold until that player logs back in and makes his move. You are free to study the map. You can even manage cities and change technologies. But you cannot move your units until all other players finish their turns, and your turn is again active.

If the PitBoss has been set up to do so, you are free to register for alert E-mails that you will receive when your turn is made available. This is accomplished by entering your E-mail address in the player details screen (Alt-D). Also, the PitBoss may be set up to run a turn timer. You may have a limited time (typically 24 hours or so) to make your move. Make sure you recognize when a timer is being used since not moving within this time will result in passing on your turn!

And this:

The game is online all the time and you have 24 hours to take your turn. So every turn lasts about 24 hours unless all players hit enter before (simultaneous turns).

If you are away some day you have to either que moves or even better have a sub to play the turn/s for you. The game will only stop for a few days during big holidays (Easter/Christmas & summer).

So basically it is about logging in the game everyday to play 1 move (maybe 2 if you are last to play). Time needed depends on how fast you play, some people need 1 minute others 3 hours...

Double moves are banned. So you cannot move last in a turn and then first to gain an advantage, you must wait for your opponent to move first. That applies only in combat, not in settling or bulbing/hammer rushing etc.

If double move rule rule is broken the game will be reloaded to a point before the double move.

So this is roughly it, it is nothing major and you will get the hang of it easily. Only restriction is having the time each day to log in and play your move.
is explanation from a veteran pitbosser here on this forum.

About actually playing in pitboss, I can offer you to take part choosing between 2 upcoming pitbosses. Or join them both if you like. if you are interested, say so.

Just wanted to announce that team Amazon of the MTDG2 in which I participate is going to launch its pitboss really soon - in two days maybe and I wanted to invite any interested pitbossers to join.

for now:

Map: Pangea
Size: Large
Speed: Normal
Leaders: Restricted
Barbs: Normal
Tech Trading: Off
Huts:Off
Events: Off
Turn Timer 48 hours

Players 5
nabaxo: Darius of Persia
Calis: Victoria of England
Sommerswerd: Capac of Inca
link16: Hannibal of Carthage
2metraninja: Shaka of Zulu
We are going to have few more members, who are not confirmed/choose yet, so we aim at ~10-12 players. As our captain said - the more, the merrier.

Post here if any of you is interested and I will arrange a public thread, as the original organization thread is in private team subforum.

I'm definitely interested. Thanks for the invitation. Post or PM me a link to the thread for this game and let me know what else I need to do before it starts. If I have a choice of leader, I would like Pericles (Greece). Thanks.

Just wanted to announce that team Amazon of the MTDG2 in which I participate is going to launch its pitboss really soon - in two days maybe and I wanted to invite any interested pitbossers to join.

for now:

We are going to have few more members, who are not confirmed/choose yet, so we aim at ~10-12 players. As our captain said - the more, the merrier.

Post here if any of you is interested and I will arrange a public thread, as the original organization thread is in private team subforum.

I am in if you want me

Meanwhile, Sommerswerd is the host for this game and he either wants you to join team Amazon (you can make it hereto be able to communicate in the current thread, as he dont want to keep separate thread, or you to communicate via PMs.

For the current members of the other teams, I dont know how this could work, but you can ask the admins what can be done.

For now, I think you can just send Sommerswerd a PM stating your preferred civ/leader as he wants to set up the game today or tomorrow.

Top Bottom