Losing struggle, any tips? (screenies)

Baleur

Prince
After a long struggle against China in the north, both me and Hiawatha cut up her lands and split them amongst us, now however, after a long peace, i decided to conquer Copenhagen (renamed to Costa Rica down to the south east) which maddened everyone of my cooperation friends, turning Egypt and Hiawatha against me *cryface* :(:(

He conquered all the chinese cities i occupied, and is now marching down my chokepoints slowly but surely, i've held it off for a few years..
Things are looking bleak for the future of the Azteks
And now the sad native american music just started, as they are singing with a melody of despair, LOL i love this game. :goodjob:

--------------------------------------------------
The three cities to the north of the beautiful mountain ranges were all mine, Hangzhou was his.
As you can see, lucky start here, both the west and eastern sides had a 1-hex chokepoint into my empire, isolated and nice :D
Nanjing and Tlatelolco served as chokepoint fort-cities for many years, but now, they fell.
You may notice that most of my cities arent building military units, that's because i figured it's pretty much over, 19 turns for a musketman wont be much help, or perhaps it will?

The western inner fort-city of Calixtlahuaca, held the ground for many years now, purchasing a Trireme helped wipe out 3-4 embarked troops trying to get around my choke.
Best purchase i've ever done so far in Civ5.

The eastern inner fort-city of Texcoco, not doing too good a job since the embarked troops can simply sail past, down to Xochicalco, which is within death's grasp..
Big mistake i made here and to the west, underestimated the importance of building walls..

The far north, the old Chinese empire, who's culture is now since long forgotten, and the original empire of Hiawatha to the east, just past the narrow landbridge.
Everything as far north and west as Shanghai (excluding Hangzhou) was mine. Beautiful map this. :)

Actually had to chop a "moat" through the jungle north of Tlatelolco, which helped me defend the city as Hiawathas troops entered the open grounds, allowing my city and archers to rain down death upon them.
The -33% open ground penalty is not to be underestimated.

You are only a tech away from Rifling. Sell all your excess resources, buy/build about 6 musketmen, upgrade to rifles when possible and push Hiwatha North then West then out of existence.

I really don't have anything useful to say. I just wanted to that those pictures are some very beautiful screenshots. Can I ask what map that is??

How about you have no military units at all? Almost any civ, no matter their diplomatic relations with you, will attack you if you have no standing army whatsoever

How about you have no military units at all? Almost any civ, no matter their diplomatic relations with you, will attack you if you have no standing army whatsoever

I assume he lost them in the struggle to keep the cities that were north of the mountain range.

OP, you are in a dire situation. You are almost certainly going to lose your 3 cities that are currently surrounded in the next 5 turns (assuming the AI has saved up some promotions for healing, as it seems they so often have against me). As the poster above noted, you could try selling off resources (especially any resources that you are about to lose when those cities get taken, just make sure you sell for a lump sum and not gold per turn) and try to rush buy some muskets and upgrade to rifles. This is highly dependent on the AI's having enough gold to do so though, and as far as I can see, you only know Hiawatha (war), Egypt (war) and 1 other person that appears to be sharing a continent with Egypt. You could push his army back and even move on to recapture your lost cities and conquer Hiawatha by doing this.

However, consider how far behind you are due to this situation, and the fact that its 1706 AD. I suspect it will be into or nearly into the 1800's before you even conquer Hiawatha, and your other opponents are overseas (I can see two other players, I'm not sure how many there are left though). You are going to have to go for an all out blitz if you expect to win this game. You may need to just settle for sniping enemy capitals and bypassing the bulk of their cities, but personally I consider that cheesy.

Late game I always try to keep some gold around. The AIs are dumb in so many ways, it's depressing. I sell excess lux for lump sums, sell open borders to AIs nowhere near me, etc. Easy money. I can hold off a lot of AI dummies with 1 entrenched defender and 1 siege holed up in a city. Rush by where you have barracks+ if possible for xp when buying.

Can I asked what map that is??

Looks like a pangea (often yields a smattered kind of continent with a lot of choke points - mountains, narrow land bridges, lakes) or a large/huge map of small continents script (nice due to having less wide open space for AIs to REX into oblivion).

You're almost certainly going to lose those top two cities. You can probably gain enough time to get a couple units up to save the rest, though. The suggestions above are good ideas: the AI seems to be very generous with money trades.

Try to get a mix of units if possible, as resources and $ allow.

Tactics wise:
Just don't send them out piecemeal. Rotate 3 or 4 using mutual support, baiting with one if necessary. Rotate the ones that are weak into the city, rinse and repeat.

Take out the sieges with knights/ cavs, and intercede with a healthy unit if they need to retreat using zone of control rules (basically they can't move past you unless they attack them).

If / when your units all run low, you can use your city to tank for a bit. They can take a couple turns of hits while your units heal in the back with a medic promoted unit.

Oh.. a couple other ideas: (mostly relating to the poor diplo AI)
Have you tried just suing for peace? You might be able to after you kill off a couple units. Either that, or gift your cities to another AI that you won't mind attacking in a couple turns to retake them. (they can't pass to get to you unless they have open borders)

anyway, gl!

Yeah i lost my entire army, split between the west and east chokepoint.
It came down to situations where i had 1 unit left inside the cities trying desperatly to heal, but was forced to stab out and weaken his longswormen, else they'd have caused too much damage to the city, and taken it already :(

I know egypt and russia, someone else (think it was germany) got wiped out already on another continent :p
Egypt has around 120g, Russia has 480g but REFUSES any deal, she wont part with any gold no matter what lol.
So i cant purchase any units, training troops takes way too long right now, and i wasnt smart enough to build walls and such.
Funny thing is, i was planning to garrison each city with crossbowmen way back, i didnt, false sense of security after China's agression backfired on them and my borders pushed far north.

Playing on a Huge "small continents" map, random personalities.
I dont know what people are talking about regarding dumb AI's, but I havent noticed that.
Hiawatha refused any peace negotiations even when we fought in the north as i held off 6-8 of his troops constantly battering my gates.
I just attempted again, and he still refuses any negotiations. I think he got Napoleon's personality LOL. ^_^

As for Egypt, while i'm at war with them (only because they saw my conquest of Copenhagen as a casus belli or something) they havent really done much, most likely busy with other wars in their own lands.

I'll return with a screenie of my empire in tatters :(

2 city losses and a crash later, i decided to give up, though usually i dont really play Civ games "to win", i play to survive and watch the world change :)
Ctrl+Z to reveal the map also revealed how far behind i was XD

The great wall of... Russia?! :lol: (imagine how large it would have been on a Pangea)
One of the biggest Civs in this session, note how Russia almost has NO farms..

Holy Elizabeth! Seems as if she started on her very own continent, woah.. :eek:
Even have 2 small colonies to the north. (right under the "U" in the minimap)
Also note how Elizabeth (THE biggest civ) has literally NO farms either..
How are all these people being fed? An entire continent with no farms. By hunting deer in the forest and fishing tuna? :p
And this is in the renaissance age, highly unrealistic, even for gameplay-balance's sake. Even just 2 farms by each pop 7+ city would have been nice, but NONE?
I must try to eat gold too someday :D

Yeah, something's definetly gotta change in regards to trading posts vs any other improvement.

In my opinion you have too few cities.

Cities = income

You have lots and lots of land and not enought of it being worked. You should have filled in some of the gaps with smaller cities (size 12 & under) to boost you gold per turn. This would have given you the edge in everything.

Look how much closer together the English cities are at the north of the English empire (where the first city, London is) and the russian one. Far more cities per area.

In your first screen shot you have 10 cities at the heigth of your empire were yours. This is a massive piece of land. You could have fitted several extra cities, even at size 6, to make a profit.

Colosseum + theater = +8 happiness. Cost 3+5= 8 gpt
8 happiness = City (-2 happiness) + 6 population unhapiness.
6 tiles working trade = 12 gold, +2 for the city = 14 gpt.
Net gain = 6 gpt at the very least, not including markets, social policies, improvements, resources.

In short you doomed yourself to failure because of your lack of economy.

Weird how the AI doesn't build any farms. I've been forced into not automating my workers throughout the entire game because they farm over EVERYTHING if I do.

Well, if you want some now useless hindsight...

When you realized that you were vastly outgunned, you should have fallen back to the choke points instead of trying to defend those exposed northern cities. Just set up your ranged units, used sea units as turrets and embarkment stoppers, and mow down the AI as it advances 1 by 1 through the chokepoints.

Yep, its so easy to just lose morale and throw the last defenders into a futile last stand, when you should really pull them back and save them.

If I get a surprise Dow by multiple AIs, I usually tend to abandon the frist cities and regroup to make a barrage to take out their advance and then conquer my cities back then push forward.

Otherwise you are doom to suicide your units in meaningless battles.

M

Weird how the AI doesn't build any farms. I've been forced into not automating my workers throughout the entire game because they farm over EVERYTHING if I do.

I haven't been able to figure out how to automate workers at all. Help?

Top Bottom