Mafia Game Development

civplayah

phantasm
To follow up with this post, I've created this thread to develop this thread in order to make this game real.

Progress:

0%

The first thing I would like to suggest is which language should we program with? I'm a tad familiar with XML, but if there's a better language to use, please let me know.

Also, since I have no clue how to program a game, if there are any designers interested in making this game with us, please feel free to step up and help!

I thought about making it flash, but I have an issue-

instead of making it online, I was going to make it downloadable freeware.

Of course, if we can't find a programmer, we might just have to make it online flash.

As freeware, I'd suggest Python. It's free. Documentation is online. You can find ample books about game programming in Python as well.

There's also Graphical support for it, though not sure if that compares to the support Flash has.

I thought about making it flash, but I have an issue-

instead of making it online, I was going to make it downloadable freeware.

Of course, if we can't find a programmer, we might just have to make it online flash.

Oh, please don't make it downloadable freeware. My dad has a firewall that screws up quick reply on this very site, let alone downloading crap! (It Also makes patch games extremely difficult. Thank god, if everything goes right, I'll have a new PC by September 21, just in time for Civ 5)

I'm more for a downloadable freeware. I will most certainly help, but no programming abilities.

I don't have any programming abilities. I can dig up pictures (even ones without lolcats) so i might be able to help.

I have Game Maker 8, and I might just be able to make a mafia tool out of it. The only thing, is, is it's non-multiplayer in the free version, so not a full-out mafia.
What I can do, is make kind of a tool for hosters, where you can keep track of tallies, who's innocent, etc. If people want to use something more specific to mafia than a spreadsheet, I'd be happy to make one and have it as downloadable.

I have Game Maker 8, and I might just be able to make a mafia tool out of it. The only thing, is, is it's non-multiplayer in the free version, so not a full-out mafia.
What I can do, is make kind of a tool for hosters, where you can keep track of tallies, who's innocent, etc. If people want to use something more specific to mafia than a spreadsheet, I'd be happy to make one and have it as downloadable.

Interesting- what are the capabilities of Game Maker? Would it meet the standards of the first post?

Also, what I'm trying to do with this game is add a single player function (against AI) so if you can't make it MP, that's perfectly fine.

Interesting- what are the capabilities of Game Maker? Would it meet the standards of the first post?

Also, what I'm trying to do with this game is add a single player function (against AI) so if you can't make it MP, that's perfectly fine.
Oh, right, I didn't even look at the post you linked too. Although these "personalities" are probably out of my league, I maybe could use text for the personality, for example I could make a string of text for a calm person for if they're mafia or innocent, and then another for a nervous AI for if they're mafia or innocent, etc.
Unfortunately, I don't know anything about the mafia regulars' personalities.
Don't know how to use external files, though (like making a whole .txt file out of the statements), but you guys could still write a text file with all the clues/statements you need for each CFCer's personality and I could copy that.

To be honest, in my first post I wasn't thinking about making a full mafia game, I was thinking about making something the host of an online game could use. However, the full-out mafia game with AIs, although it may take a long time, I think I just could accomplish that. Do you want me to try to start it now?

Reiser said:
civplayah said:
Reiser said:
I didn't want to clutter up your visitor messages with long descriptions, so I'll talk about it in a private message.

Do you want me to make something the hoster can use, or an actual program?
The tool will be like having a front page to enter info (how many players, names, their roles, etc.) and then it generates a page where all that info is stored for easy access. Kind of like a spreadsheet, except more mafia-specific.
Or I can make an actual AI game, which will take longer. I need some sayings of mafia CFCers, though, so I can implement the statements as like clues. The player can not do much though, I suspect, as I can't make it like a chatroom mafia. Plus the AI clues will have to be the same each time you play so it won't be very fun if you already know what the AI will say if it is a mafioso or an innocent.

I'm more wanting to make the tool, because it's easier and faster, but what do you think?
How 'bout you start with the tool, just to warm you up? :)
AH
Sorry, your new avatar was kind of scary.
And thanks, I'll ask you if I need any questions answered. I have no idea what time it should be finished as I'm not an expert game programmer. :)

Some PMs between Reiser and me. He's first going to make a tool for mafia GMs to use, then we'll get started on the game. :D

:bump:

Well, because of school and other things, I haven't really been working on it recently, because I'm stuck on a problem (how to get all of the players' names).

Hopefully soon I will find an answer, then be able to move on. All it is is just a welcome screen for now. :p

Top Bottom