Mammoths (28/03/10)

Splendiferous, Plotinus! How did you manage to capture such amazingly life-like motions?

@Varwnos - Byzantine??

@Everyone-asking-about-spears - historical mahouts carried a ... (oh, great: sudden vacuum bubble between neurons) ... Very Sharp Pointy Stick for use on the animal's brain if it went berserk. Plus don't forget the notorious Mammoth Fur Climbers ...

:D,

Oz

Cheatem, it's a hammer and chisel.

Wonderful additions. It's a pity that we can't have a herd of them like in AOE though.

Yabanjin, what do you mean by that?

If it's about the gfx themselves, you can always multiply them with Steph's SBB and have one 'unit' comprised of several mammoths.
If it's about the unit itself, you can assign it as barbarians. Steph (again) has made a special editor which modifies things as the game progresses.

These all look awesome. As previously mentioned, I feel sorry for those riders in the death animation!:eek: You animated them all exceedingly well, and all look fantastically hairy!:goodjob: Excellent work, as always.:)

The Firaxis Elephant, while well-proportioned on its own, had a distinct anomaly on its size compared with other units'.

Yabanjin, what do you mean by that?

If it's about the gfx themselves, you can always multiply them with Steph's SBB and have one 'unit' comprised of several mammoths.
If it's about the unit itself, you can assign it as barbarians. Steph (again) has made a special editor which modifies things as the game progresses

Takhisis with Steph's SBB you can have up to 6 (which would be too many) Mammoths in a herd, although 3 or 4 would probably seem the norm for multi-units. (How many do you think would constitute a herd?) No, my point was simply that I liked the herd effect from AOE where the elephants or deer (all individual units in their own right) acted in a similar way to a herd when disturbed or attacked. I just thought Plot's Mammoths would look great that way - especially with Sandris' (stone age) tribal units.

But a m-unit can be arranged to behave like a herd.

Just finished downloading all of 'em.

Takhisis with Steph's SBB you can have up to 6 (which would be too many) Mammoths in a herd

No !:nope: SBB allows endless amounts of units in a MUnit.
= make a MUnit with 6 Units in there. Then just make another MUnit with the 6-MUnit just created ...
and POOOOF ,you have 36 Units in a single MUnit. This can be repeated endlessly. Until you have only a pixel mess left.;)

The units are as large as any unit feasibly could be. There is no way that you could have a mammoth to the same scale as the infantry units in the game that would be playable, and equally no way you could have a multi-unit of these things that would be playable either. As it is I think they just about match other similar units - they are bigger than the Firaxis elephant, but not absurdly so - and they dominate their tiles without spilling over into the neighbouring ones, which I think is the effect one wants.

Incidentally, it is a good idea to give them all the Ranged Attack flag, because they are so large they don't really need to walk forwards before fighting.

Top Bottom